TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Oct-2014, 2:04 PM   #1
ryderj

Advice for Ottawa, ON, Canada

Hi all,

Hoping to get some of the expert advice available on this forum.

Here is my report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2434b55c569cd

Will hopefully re-use the cable feeds in my house to feed 3 televisions. Able to put on an antenna on the roof.

Just wondering what equipment you would recommend? Also, is there any chance of getting reception of the channels that are not green? I have 2 transmitters that are close and very strong. But after those 2, it seems to drop right off without much chance of getting any other channels.

With just an indoor Monoprice antenna, I am able to pick up most channels in the green zone. I think the only channels that might be missing are CITY-TV and OMNI channels (they are from the farther transmitter).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Jack
ryderj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Oct-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
StephanieS

Hi Jack,

Your local towers are 12 and 14 miles give a nice amount of signal at your location. The majority of those signals as you have already noticed are pretty easy. In regards to if you have chances with the weaker signals. You are right after you nearby cluster of signals, signal options drop dramatically. The US broadcasts are in the category of "extreme measures." You'll notice both PBSs are down below the 0 db strength. This is below "bleeding" edge of digital reception. Unlike old analog broadcasts and getting "snowy", digital over the air signals once they reach a point of certain weakness, they just don't decode. Your access to US signals is below this point of decoding with likely all of the over the shelf antennas and setups. You are into the world of antenna arrays (2 or more hooked up together to create gain) to even attempt the US signals.

I am also getting conflicting information on your Global Network affiliate for Ottawa. Wikipedia reports CIII-DT6 is broadcasting on real channel 14. If that is so, that leaves CIII-TV on real channel 2 a moot point.

It has been said in some cases TV fool's Canadian data isn't as up to date as the US' information.

If you want to feed 3 tvs an indoor antenna may not be able to provide enough signal to those 3 sets. You have a couple options:

1. Keep indoor antenna that doesn't receive the omni and CITY channels. Install a distribution amplifier like the channel master 3414 4 port amp. This operates at the signal split location and provides amplification to offset signal losses.

2. Install Antennas Direct DB8e on your roof free of obstruction and orientate one panel to heading 312 and the other to 181. I'd expect all your local broadcasts to be reliable. Due to excellent signal strength, you can test a 3 way split without amplification and see if the signals are reliable across the 3 tvs. If not, the above CM 3414 may be required.

You'll notice the DB8e is a UHF antenna design.CJOH broadcasts on real channel 13, a high-VHF channel. One thing that is often nice with high-VHF signals that are good to excellent signal strengths is that UHF antennas will often receive them if signal access is really good.

CJOH is strong enough you may not need any supplemental VHF antenna.

Cheers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 5-Oct-2014 at 11:42 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Oct-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
ryderj

Thank you for the reply Stephanie.

Just curious but since the 2 transmitters I have are less than 16 miles away and I don't have much hope of catching the farther transmitters, can I get all my local channels with a cheaper antenna? THE DB8E seems to be the top of the line antenna good for 70 miles. Or is it the flexibility of being able to point it in 2 different directions why you recommended?

Sorry for the noob questions. Learning as I go. Really want to cut the cord and stop paying my outrageous cable bill!

Thanks
Jack
ryderj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Oct-2014, 11:57 PM   #4
StephanieS

Not noob questions at all! We all learn along the way. Yes, I like the DB8e for the flexibility of aiming since you have two strong distinct headings. All things being equal I'd prefer the ability to aim dead on at both clusters. The DB8e is often thought as a strong fringe antenna by aiming both panels in unison, but aiming each panel at different headings gives it the secondary ability to become two DB4e's aiming where you need them.

All that said, If you want to go on the lower cost side with a single aimed antenna, an Antennacraft HBU11k aimed at magnetic 245 or so might pull all the local signals in. You would have to find the sweet spot however as you are "splitting the difference" between the towers.

Cheers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 6-Oct-2014 at 12:00 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote