TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Oct-2011, 1:07 PM   #1
Mijanat

Selecting the right antenna

Hi Everyone,
I was looking into putting up an aerial antenna because I am tired of the cost of cable. I have received a couple recommendations on antennas (Winegard HD7697P & HD8200U), but would like additional input. If you could help with recommendations and the accessories that I would also need I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. Below is a link to the signal analysis for my location.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60b54d5bf74339
Mijanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2011, 1:37 AM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijanat View Post
Hi Everyone,
I was looking into putting up an aerial antenna because I am tired of the cost of cable. I have received a couple recommendations on antennas (Winegard HD7697P & HD8200U), but would like additional input. If you could help with recommendations and the accessories that I would also need I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. Below is a link to the signal analysis for my location.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60b54d5bf74339
Those antennas are too big and expensive for your location.

I'd be looking at a 4 bay or similar UHF only.

DB4
HD4221
U4400
C-2
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2011, 1:52 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

If your goal is to receive as many of the weak distant signals the big antennas would make sense. You would be up against a variety of challenges like low (weak) signal levels, co-channel and adjacent channel interference.

TG's suggestions are appropriate for reception of the local stations, which sounds consistent with your desire to eliminate the cost of cable service.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2011, 3:38 AM   #4
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
Those antennas are too big and expensive for your location.

I'd be looking at a 4 bay or similar UHF only.

DB4
HD4221
U4400
C-2
This would not be my recommendation. The OP may receive Class D WGCT-CD on RF Channel 8 and full-power WMFD-DT on RF Channel 12. A UHF-only antenna precludes receipt of their signals.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2011, 4:41 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

The wide pattern of the 4-bay suggested by TG is needed for the broadly distributed UHF stations.

WGCT is south ot hte OP's location, WMFD is NW of the OP's location.

If both signals are of interest to the OP, a separate high-VHF like the Winegard YA-1713 or Antennacraft Y-10713 aimed at about 45° would add WMFD to the lineup. WGCT would require it's own antenna as well, the same type high-VHF, aimed at about 170°.

Combining these three antennas is not to difficult, a Channel Master CH-8 Join-Tenna and a UVSJ would be all the hardware needed. If only CH-8 or only CH-12 is of of interest to the OP, the Join-Tenna is not needed, just a UVSJ.

FWIW: WGCT appears three times in the FCC database. Once in Tampa, FL and twice in the Columbus, OH area. rabbitears.info also has corresponding entries, with the Tama entry shown as 'off-the-air'. The Colubus entry is here: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...GCT-CD#station (Leave it to the FCC to have the same call sign show up in multiple locations.)

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 23-Oct-2011 at 5:22 AM.
Old 23-Oct-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
Mijanat

Thank you for the information. The one thing that I was told is that because I live a 1/4 mile from the local hospital and a half mile from the local airport, both are to the south of me. That these two would block recepetion for me, and would need a stronger device to receive with. With the cable I would receive interference from the hospitals older intercom system on several channels(at least that is what the cable company said). Is there any truth to this?
Mijanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2011, 3:08 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

If the hospital intercom produces that much interference to licensed services I'm sure the FCC would have dealt with them long ago. The cable company sounds worse than most.

Aircraft make excellent signal reflectors. It's possible that nearby aircraft could cause a form of multipath interference. The four bay antennas achieve gain by concentrating the vertical beam width close to the horizon which reduces the chance that signals reflected from high angles will cause a problem.

Old 24-Oct-2011, 4:14 PM   #8
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijanat View Post
With the cable I would receive interference from the hospitals older intercom system on several channels(at least that is what the cable company said). Is there any truth to this?
It may happen to be true, but that doesn't make it right. Cable company's know that a truck roll to fix the problem is costly. In some cases the customer service rep says anything to get you off the phone. In other cases the field technician isn't equipped to solve the problem.

The right approach is for the CSR to send a qualified technician and if he can't fix the problem, send the head technician. As a paying cable customer, you should accept nothing less.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote