TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Apr-2016, 12:48 AM   #1
Billiam

UHF Reception Question

Posted this previously on a competing site. Got satisfactory advice but knowing that different people utilize this forum, I'd like to get some added feedback.

Looking for the best gain for real channels 26 and 30. Have tried Yagi's at the location (with and without a pre amp) but for the moment, my Antennacraft U4000 works far better. Still can't receive 26 and 30 which are about 50 miles away but do fine with fringe signals above channel 40. Even a pre amp does not help. Limited in that respect since I also have strong signals nearby. Using the RCA pre amp which does not overload easily. Figuring another 4 bay or an 8 bay that has better gain on channels 26 to 30 is my best option. All the signals are at the very same compass reading of 15 degrees. Channels 41 and 50 come in fine but 26 and 30 not at all despite not being that much weaker.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134c725d89c82

Was wondering if the Winegard HD8800 still has good reception on channels at 30 and below?

I know that I can hack a CM 4228 HD and greatly improve the UHF signal gain on 26 and 30 but I don't know if I have the right tools to do it or if I can do it correctly. I really have no experience with building antennas other than a MCLAPP 4 bay that I put together a few years ago. Didn't require much in the way of tools to assemble which made it doable.

Last edited by Billiam; 11-Apr-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2016, 5:19 PM   #2
Tower Guy

You don't need an antenna that works better on channel 26 and 30, you need an antenna that rejects channel 22 and 35. There's no antenna on the market that does that, but you can make your own by stacking two 91 XG antennas horizontally spaced by 55". Aim the antenna by minimizing the strength of channel 22.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-May-2016, 11:27 PM   #3
WIRELESS ENGINEER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Posted this previously on a competing site. Got satisfactory advice but knowing that different people utilize this forum, I'd like to get some added feedback.

Looking for the best gain for real channels 26 and 30. Have tried Yagi's at the location (with and without a pre amp) but for the moment, my Antennacraft U4000 works far better. Still can't receive 26 and 30 which are about 50 miles away but do fine with fringe signals above channel 40. Even a pre amp does not help. Limited in that respect since I also have strong signals nearby. Using the RCA pre amp which does not overload easily. Figuring another 4 bay or an 8 bay that has better gain on channels 26 to 30 is my best option. All the signals are at the very same compass reading of 15 degrees. Channels 41 and 50 come in fine but 26 and 30 not at all despite not being that much weaker.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134c725d89c82

Was wondering if the Winegard HD8800 still has good reception on channels at 30 and below?

I know that I can hack a CM 4228 HD and greatly improve the UHF signal gain on 26 and 30 but I don't know if I have the right tools to do it or if I can do it correctly. I really have no experience with building antennas other than a MCLAPP 4 bay that I put together a few years ago. Didn't require much in the way of tools to assemble which made it doable.
Just BUY a CM-4228HD

It's by far the best

There are MANY wannabes but NONE of the lookalike johnny come latelys come close
WIRELESS ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote