TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Jan-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
CorNut

How should I split 8 ways?

My brother and I have a duplex, he's in one side and I'm in the other. We were thinking about putting a db8e in the attic since it's small enough and rates good enough that is should pick up the few channels available to me HERE. I'll face one side to ~313 and the other to ~254 and that should pretty much cover all of the channels available to me even being in the attic right? The problem is each side of the duplex will have 4 outlets. We installed telco boxes and already have some leviton 4 way passive splitters. The original plan was each side would get an antenna but we're thinking we can make the db8e work for both of us if we got a 2 way amplified splitter. I was looking online and I found a Channel Master CM-3412 which splits 2 ways and gives an 11db boost to each port, that should work shouldn't it? Or can I just use a 2 way passive splitter? If I need the amplified one I'll just order it at the same time so I only have to go up in the attic once.
I seen there are 8 way splitters that add 4db to each line but the way the telco boxes are installed there's only 1 antenna line ran to each one/side. The other option I have is a 2 way splitter at the antenna then installing a 4 way amplified splitter in each telco box. That'd be more expensive plus it'd involve throwing my passive 4 way splitters out but if that'd be a better idea I'd rather do it right the first time.
ABC and CBS are the only VHF channels I care about and I pick those both up with just my coax plugged in which isn't even connected to an antenna so I'm not worried about that. If I had to guess, the cable distance from the antenna to the telco boxes is around 20' and the rooms range from 20-30' from the telco box. I appreciate your help
CorNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jan-2014, 1:33 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

The DB8e is a very capable UHF only antenna. You also have High-VHF signals present, and may need to add either an Antennacraft Y5713 or the larger Y10713. The UHF and VHF signals can be combined into a single cable using an Antenna's Direct EU385CF UHF/VHF Antenna Combiner or Radio Shack # 15-2586.

The CM-3412 would easily drive two 4-way splitters. The ideal location for any amplifier is near antenna, on the output of the UHF/VHF combiner. The CM-341X type amplifiers cam be powered remotely, either by way of a separate cox run or by sending power backward, up the coax with the addition of a PCT-MPI-1G Remote Power Inserter. http://www.amazon.com/PCT-Inserter-M.../dp/B005Y12UH6 Generally, you would need to place the power inserter between the amplifier and splitter, unless you use a power passing splitter. Example: http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/splitters.html

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jan-2014, 1:46 AM   #3
CorNut

wow.. and to think I've been researching this all day

I just wanted to verify that I had decided right and it turns out I did and you gave a ton of extra info that I had no idea was even possible. I will absolutely get the stuff to add the VHF capability and I'll go ahead and do the CM-3412 2 way splitter at the antenna. I was hoping that'd be the best way because I want to keep my telco boxes nice and clean. Thank you SO much for the part #'s etc, that's very cool of you to take the time to help me with this. You're awesome
Old 19-Jan-2014, 1:55 AM   #4
teleview

+=>
-----
Install the DB8e in the attic.

Aim one panel at about 298 degree magnetic compass direction the other panel at about 238 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

As always , the starting antenna aim direction is the -->starting antenna aim direction.

Most Digital Tv's have a , Signal Strength Meter , and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.

--------

Install the , CM3412 distribution amplifier.

Connect a 4 way splitter to each output of the CM3412 distribution amplifier.

------------

If reception situation/problems happen with the DB8e antenna in the attic that are not resolvable by adjusting the DB8e panels aim directions and changing/moving the location of the DB8e in the attic.

Move the DB8e antenna to above the peak of the roof.

Last edited by teleview; 19-Jan-2014 at 1:37 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 19-Jan-2014, 3:01 AM   #5
CorNut

I really do appreciate your replies. I'll be sure to get a compass before everything gets here. I just ordered all of the accessories to add a VHF antenna, the amplified splitter, and those remote power inserters. The wires are already ran, now it comes down to buying the antennas. The VHF I'll most likely grab locally. I'm not opposed to putting an antenna on my roof, there's actually a mast there from whoever owned this before me(I think it's for satellite?) but I'm getting the db8e with the hopes of still getting all the channels available to me from inside the attic. If some channels don't come in well I won't hesitate to move it but if there's no benefit I'd rather not have it visible is all
Old 19-Jan-2014, 3:32 AM   #6
teleview

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.antennacraft.net

www.amazon.com

---------

Most attics have a light and or electrical outlet.

If so , the CM3412 can be pluged in the attic and a remote power inserter will not be required.

If no electric power on the attic.

Then follow GUM's directions for using power inserter.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Jan-2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Deleting off topic content
  Reply With Quote Received Infraction