TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Dec-2016, 9:47 PM   #1
JTl

Do need an amplifier?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dfafbc6e3d6eb2

I have a ClearStream 2v that I have had for years and it works very well until I start splitting (no surprise). I have one leg of the first split going a short distance and the signal is strong. The other leg goes 50' and needs to feed 3 tvs, one of which is 40' and the other two are less. This where I have problems. Do you think amplifying the signal would help?
JTl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Dec-2016, 10:57 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Yes

Where is the antenna located?

How long is the coax from the antenna to the splitter?

Are the channels from the SE what you are interested in?
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Dec-2016, 11:09 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Do you think amplifying the signal would help?
Maybe, don't have enough information.

What direction is the C2V aimed and what specific station or station is involved?

The cumulative insertion loss for a 2 port splitter, a 3 port splitter, and 90' of RG6 is about 16 dB. Unless you're dealing with weaker stations or the antenna isn't aimed for that station, an amp shouldn't be needed. We do need additional information to advise you.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Dec-2016, 11:10 PM   #4
JTl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Yes

Where is the antenna located?

How long is the coax from the antenna to the splitter?

Are the channels from the SE what you are interested in?
The antenna is located on SE side of the house. Pretty much a straight shot. The first splitter is only 5' and then one leg goes another 20', the other side goes 50' and I need to split the long run again 3 ways, two 20' runs and another 50'. The first split (short one) is perfect reception. Not so on the others.

I only care about the channels from the SE. Thanks for your response.
Old 17-Dec-2016, 11:36 PM   #5
JTl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Maybe, don't have enough information.

What direction is the C2V aimed and what specific station or station is involved?

The cumulative insertion loss for a 2 port splitter, a 3 port splitter, and 90' of RG6 is about 16 dB. Unless you're dealing with weaker stations or the antenna isn't aimed for that station, an amp shouldn't be needed. We do need additional information to advise you.
Maybe I don't have the correct splitters, they were just ones I had laying around from ancient times. When I hooked up the long run to another 20' run without using the second (3 way splitter) I got all but the station at 118 degrees, not that I even care about it. The stations that I want are ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS and PBS. They are all very close and seems to me if I can get any of them I should get all of them.
Old 18-Dec-2016, 12:06 AM   #6
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Code:
             20' > TV
            /
C2 > 5' > SPLITTER #1              50' > TV
            \                      /
              CM3410 > 50' > SPLITTER #2
                |                  |       20' > TV
              POWER                |      /
                                   SPLITTER #3 
                                          \ 
                                           20' > TV

All splitters are 2-WAY
IF AC POWER IS NOT AVAILABLE AT THE 3410, ADD A PCT-MPI-1G 
POWER INSERTER AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FIRST 50' COAX JUST 
BEFORE THE SECOND SPLITTER.
If you have AC power at the first splitter, the DC power for the Channel Master 3410 goes in the upper left port. If you do not have AC power at the first splitter, then you must provide remote DC power for the 3410 through the first 50' run using a power inserter just before the second splitter.

I am suggesting the 3410 and 2-way splitters instead of the 3414 so that you can send more signal to the longer runs for better balance.

The PCT-MA2-M is the same as the CM3410.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCT-MA2-Mb.JPG (26.4 KB, 2267 views)
File Type: jpg CM3410w.jpg (139.3 KB, 598 views)
File Type: jpg 3410 power remote.jpg (162.2 KB, 3712 views)
File Type: jpg 3410 power normal.jpg (78.7 KB, 2999 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 18-Dec-2016 at 5:59 PM. Reason: Inserted 3410 images in diagrams
Old 18-Dec-2016, 2:13 AM   #7
JTl

Quote:
Code:
             20' > TV
            /
C2 > 5' > SPLITTER                  50' > TV
            \                      /
              CM3410 > 50' > SPLITTER 
                                   |        20' > TV
                                   |       /
                                   SPLITTER 
                                           \ 
                                            20' > TV

All splitters are 2-WAY
If you have AC power at the first splitter, the DC power for the Channel Master 3410 goes in the upper left port. If you do not have AC power at the first splitter, then you must provide remote DC power for the 3410 through the first 50' run using a power inserter just before the second splitter.

These diagrams are for the 3414, but it works the same way for the 3410. I am suggesting the 3410 and 2-way splitters instead of the 3414 so that you can send more signal to the longer runs for better balance.

In your case where the second diagram says To TV 3, it would be to second splitter.

The PCT-MA2-M is the same as the CM3410.
Thanks. I see PCT also makes a product like the 3410. Would that be ok?
Old 18-Dec-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
I see PCT also makes a product like the 3410.
Same amp, different label.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2016, 11:45 AM   #9
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Thanks. I see PCT also makes a product like the 3410. Would that be ok?
Yes, if it is this one:

Which PCT model are you talking about? PCT bought out Channel Master, so it is the same company, but they make several different models that are similar.
Old 18-Dec-2016, 2:55 PM   #10
JTl

Quote:
Yes, if it is this one:

Which PCT model are you talking about? PCT bought out Channel Master, so it is the same company, but they make several different models that are similar.
Do you think there is good chance this will solve my problem?
Does it make a big difference if I put the CM3410 at the beginning vs the end of the long run in terms of signal strength.

Like i said I have a couple of mis-matched old splitters, can you recommend ones for this project. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 18-Dec-2016, 3:25 PM   #11
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Do you think there is good chance this will solve my problem?
Yes, but I can't give you a guarantee because I'm not there with you. I'm counting on you to do the work that I would do if I were there.
Quote:
Does it make a big difference if I put the CM3410 at the beginning vs the end of the long run in terms of signal strength.
Yes, you must put it at the beginning of the first 50' run. It makes a difference of about 3 dB. You can put it any place you want, but where I suggested will give the best results.
Quote:
Like i said I have a couple of mis-matched old splitters, can you recommend ones for this project.
Your 3-way splitters have more loss; use only 2-way splitters. Any ordinary 2-way splitters should be OK.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=PV22-103
https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-33526-...itter/52162882
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-2-4...-332/202276264

Last edited by rabbit73; 18-Dec-2016 at 5:08 PM.
Old 18-Dec-2016, 4:48 PM   #12
JTl

Quote:
Yes, but I can't give you a guarantee because I'm not there with you. I'm counting on you to do the work that I would do if I were there.
Yes, you must put it at the beginning of the first 50' run. It makes a difference of about 3 dB. You can put it any place you want, but where I suggested will give the best results.
Your 3-way splitters have more loss; use only 2-way splitters. Any ordinary passive 2-way splitters should be OK.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=PV22-103
https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-33526-...itter/52162882
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-2-4-GHz-2-Way-
Splitter-85-332/202276264

Maybe I am misunderstanding but I thought I could also put it at the end of the 50' run using an adapter.
Old 18-Dec-2016, 5:17 PM   #13
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

You can put the 3410 at the lower end of the first 50' coax if you insist, but that isn't the best location because signals will be 3 dB weaker before they are amplified. That might mean that the last TV will get signals that aren't as good as they could be.

Why can't you put the 3410 at the beginning of the first 50' coax just after the first splitter?
Quote:
using an adapter.
What does the adapter do?

As I said before, it's your system and you can put the 3410 any place you want, but I don't think it will work as well.

If you don't think my advice is good and you want to continue to change it, maybe you should just put a preamp like the CM7778 at the antenna instead of the 3410 and split as many times as you want using power passing splitters.

If I have given you bad advice, I'm sure that ADTech would shoot it down; he double checks my work.

Last edited by rabbit73; 18-Dec-2016 at 5:51 PM.
Old 18-Dec-2016, 6:08 PM   #14
JTl

Quote:
You can put the 3410 at the lower end of the first 50' coax if you insist, but that isn't the best location because signals will be 3 dB weaker before they are amplified. That might mean that the last TV will get signals that aren't as good as they could be.

Why can't you put the 3410 at the beginning of the first 50' coax just after the first splitter?
What does the adapter do?

As I said before, it's your system and you can put the 3410 any place you want, but I don't think it will work as well.

If you don't think my advice is good and you want to continue to change it, maybe you should just put a preamp like the CM7778 at the antenna instead of the 3410 and split as many times as you want using power passing splitters.

If I have given you bad advice, I'm sure that ADTech would shoot it down; he double checks my work.
Geez, I don't think you have given bad advice, where did you get that? In fact I believe I said "thank you for the help" I am new to this and was just trying to clarify whether needed to put the 3410 at the beginning because you sent me a diagram showing it at the end of the long run using a power converter. Sorry I called it an adapter. I can put it at the beginning it just means I need to do some electrical wiring because I don't have power real close. I want to do it the best way so I will take your advice.
Old 18-Dec-2016, 6:21 PM   #15
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

If power is not available at the 3410, use a power inserter at the bottom of the first 50' coax just before splitter #2:

Code:
             20' > tv
            /
C2 > 5' > SPLITTER #1                       50' > TV
            \          PCT-MPI-1G          /
          CM3410 > 50' > POWER > SPLITTER #2
                        INSERTER      |       20' > TV
                                      |      /
                                   SPLITTER #3 
                                             \ 
                                              20' > TV
ALL SPLITTERS ARE 2-WAY

Last edited by rabbit73; 18-Dec-2016 at 7:00 PM.
Old 18-Dec-2016, 6:34 PM   #16
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
the 3410 at the beginning because you sent me a diagram showing it at the end of the long run
I NEVER showed the 3410 at the end of a long run; always just after the first splitter. I DID show the power inserter at the end of a long run where you might have power, but not the 3410 amp.

The idea is to put an amp as close as possible to the antenna to amplify the signals BEFORE they suffer the coax loss.

You do not need to do electrical wiring if you don't have AC power at the 3410. If you have power at the bottom of the 50' coax, put the PCT-MPI-1G power inserter there. That's where you wanted to put the 3410, so you must have power there.

The power inserter will send power up to the 3410 on the SAME 50' coax that sends the signals down. That is the purpose of the power inserter, so that you don't need to have power at the 3410.

The power up shares the same coax with the signals down.

A power inserter for a preamp works the same way.

It is complicated, and it took me a while before I understood it.

OK?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Power_Inserter_for_Amp2.jpg (140.9 KB, 2583 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 18-Dec-2016 at 7:17 PM.
Old 18-Dec-2016, 7:04 PM   #17
JTl

Quote:
I NEVER showed the 3410 at the end of a long run; always just after the first splitter. I DID show the power inserter at the end of long run where you might have power, but not the 3410 amp.

You do not need to do electrical wiring if you don't have AC power at the 3410. If you have power at the bottom of the 50' coax, put the PCT-MPI-1G power inserter there. That's where you wanted to put the 3410, so you must have power there.

The power inserter will send power up to the 3410 on the SAME 50' coax that sends the signals down. That is the purpose of the power inserter, so that you don't need to have power at the 3410.

The power up shares the same coax with the signals down.

A power inserter for a preamp works the same way.

It is complicated, and it took me a while before I understood it.

OK?
Now that makes sense, I am not as quick as I used to be. I thought the 3410 also had to be at the end of the run. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 18-Dec-2016, 7:25 PM   #18
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
I am not as quick as I used to be.
Neither am I. I have been doing antenna experiments since I was 8; I'm now 83 and still learning.

Glad I could clarify it for you. That's why I keep making diagrams.

I hope you do have power at the lower end of the first 50' coax for the power inserter. If not, there might be an alternative.

Last edited by rabbit73; 18-Dec-2016 at 8:03 PM.
Old 18-Dec-2016, 9:15 PM   #19
WIRELESS ENGINEER

The best was to distribute signals to TVs is by using taps like cable companies use

With taps, all TVs can get the same signal levels from the first TV to the last

Splitters lose 3.5db per port so by the time you add multiple splitters and coax runs, the first TV is in overload while the last TV is into the noise

If you must use splitters, amplified splitters become your only affordable option
WIRELESS ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2016, 9:52 PM   #20
JTl

Quote:
Neither am I. I have been doing antenna experiments since I was 8; I'm now 83 and still learning.

Glad I could clarify it for you. That's why I keep making diagrams.

I hope you do have power at the lower end of the first 50' coax for the power inserter. If not, there might be an alternative.
I'm good, I have accessible power on that end. Now to order the parts and give it a go.