TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Sep-2013, 8:33 PM   #1
S197

Antenae Suggestions

I am looking to cut the cord and would like a suggestion on what antennae I should get and possibly what stations I can expect to receive. I live in a raised ranch, on a hill and my primary tv is downstairs partially underground. I have two tv's upstairs

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aeda36bc081c

Thanks in advance

Last edited by S197; 29-Sep-2013 at 12:50 AM.
S197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2013, 12:54 AM   #2
S197

Do I have enough information for a suggestion?
Old 29-Sep-2013, 4:30 AM   #3
phone man

Wow, you've got a great TVfool report. Lots of strong signals and all in the same direction. At first I thought you were lacking an NBC affiliate in Binghamton but a quick check shows channel 34 carries both ABC and NBC programming. You should be able to receive all channels in the green and yellow zones on your report easily with any small antenna rated for upper VHF and UHF frequencies.
Unless your house has a lot of metal in the walls I suspect you could also get by with small set top antennas for each TV. The main TV at or below ground level would be the only possible exception.
phone man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2013, 5:06 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

In an effort to add the NBC, CW & Ion options, I'd be more aggressive.

I'd opt for the Winegard HD7698P or even the 'big guns'... An Antennas Direct 91XG paired with an Antennacraft Y10713. An RCA TVPRAMP1R would be the preamp of choice. Use 180° magnetic as the starting aim point.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2013, 7:22 AM   #5
StephanieS

S197,

GroundUrMast gave you a great suggestions. The two antenna option with separate coax leads is where I'd go. The Winegard HD7698P coupled the RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp pointed at 179 degrees magnetic would be my starting point for ION, NBC and the second PBS, CBS, ABC and FOX.

There is a good chance you'd see the stronger signals off the side of the Winegard HD7698P. I've found receiving off the side of directional antenna though, you may experience fluctuations or drop outs of stronger signals. For that reason, I'd also mount an RCA ANT751 pointed at 148 degrees magnetic on the roof with the Winegard HD7698P 4 feet above the ANT751.

I'd then have an A/B switch in house to toggle between which signal you want to watch.

Part of my reason for the Winegard HD7698P dedicated at 179 degrees magnetic is, if you did a signal antenna option, you'd have to split the difference with the other signals. In this case, having the Winegard HD7698P pointed right at or very close to those weaker NBC, ION, CBS and ABC affiliates will give you the best chance at success.

In this scenario I can see you receiving everything down to WOLF (FOX) with reasonable reliability. WSWB (CW) might even show up too. Getting into negative db values, life gets more interesting though.

Good luck!
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Sep-2013, 6:20 PM   #6
S197

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 22-Oct-2013, 1:12 AM   #7
S197

Is there any difference in the Ant 751 vs Ant 751R? My box says 751R but the manual say's 751.

I just temporally set it on my deck railing to try it and it works great. Got 10 channels pointing roughly 148 magnetic on my downstairs tv.
Old 22-Oct-2013, 1:45 AM   #8
teleview

Practical and Useful Information.

Slight changes of antenna = product update and slight change of model number.

ANT751 R evised .

Last edited by teleview; 23-Oct-2013 at 3:34 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 24-Oct-2013, 12:08 AM   #9
StephanieS

I read the R is a slight recut for channels 7-50, instead of 7-69 on the standard ANT751.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197 View Post
Is there any difference in the Ant 751 vs Ant 751R? My box says 751R but the manual say's 751.

I just temporally set it on my deck railing to try it and it works great. Got 10 channels pointing roughly 148 magnetic on my downstairs tv.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote