TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Oct-2010, 2:48 PM   #1
J.K.B.

Antenna selection

Here is my analysis link:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a36221f4c1cb29

I'd like to get channels these channels in HD on 2 tv's, so split once: Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, WB(KIAH)

Thanks for the recommendations,

John
J.K.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2010, 4:06 PM   #2
J.K.B.

Would something like this be sufficient? If so, would it need to go in the attic or would by the tv be ok?

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...or%20Only&sku=
Old 18-Oct-2010, 4:58 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

No need for the amplifier

If you can attic mount, I'd try this... http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=

The amplifier can actually hurt because it will add noise and distortion. There should be plenty of signal to work with at your location.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2010, 5:40 PM   #4
J.K.B.

Yes, I can get it in the attic.

I know I said 2 hdtv signals is what I would currently hook it up to, but would it be able to be split more later and still be HD? If so, how many tv's would it be good for (roughly)? This is just a hypothetical, nothing I'm planning in the near future.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 18-Oct-2010, 6:36 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

With HD It's all or nothing...

I expect that you will have enough signal from the suggested antenna that you would be able to feed a 4-way splitter. The symptoms of to much loss would be pixelation of the picture or 'no signal'. You will not get a reversion to lower definition.

If you need to split many ways you can use something like this... http://www.amazon.com/Bi-Directional...7426760&sr=1-1

It has enough gain to overcome the loss of the built-in 8-way split and about 100' of coax beyond.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2010, 6:41 PM   #6
J.K.B.

Thanks for the link. That may come in handy in the future.

I'll go ahead and get the antenna you suggested and stick it in my attic and see what happens.
Old 18-Oct-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
John Candle

Tv Reception

Digital Tv is Digital Tv . . HD Digital Tv is HD Digital Tv . . If the signal strength drops too low it Will Still Be Digital Tv , you will see the picture break up in to blocks or no picture , even so it's Still Digital Tv. And HD Digital Tv is still HD Digital Tv even if the picture breaks up in to blocks or no picture. HD Digital Tv is in Fact HD Digital Tv. The HD signal DOES NOT down grade to a lower definition because the signal is low in strength. . Digital Tv is Digital Tv , HD Digital Tv is HD Digital Tv. Here are the picture resolutions of Digital Tv. . Low picture resolution 480i - 480P . . Hi picture resolution 720P - 1080i - 1080P . If the received signal is strong , the picture resolution Does Not go up. And if the received signal is weak , the picture resolution Does Not go down. .

Last edited by John Candle; 19-Oct-2010 at 2:21 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote