Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Oct-2015, 3:09 AM   #1
JBVT

Antenna Recommendation

Hi,

My report is below

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03717343eac1

I am looking to replace an existing antenna due to poor reception. I have a RCA yagi antenna mounted on a 3 ft. roof mounted pole approx 25 ft off the ground. The antenna is aimed at the transmitters, 121 degrees. My cable is approx. 75 ft. of RG6 running from the antenna to a single TV on the first floor. I have a Winegard LNA preamp. The RG6 is RCA brand and not quad shield. The cable is not grounded at this point.

Although the channels in the report show LOS, there are acres of trees and a hill in between the transmitter and antenna. I am looking for advice on how to achieve better results with an antenna system that is better suited for these conditions.
JBVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Oct-2015, 3:41 AM   #2
MikeBear

What's the model number of the antenna and preamp you are using? How TALL are your trees? What stations in that report are the "must have" ones? That's all important info needed.

1edge stations at only 6 miles, and 2edge at 13 miles, wow... Try running your TVFool report at 50ft and 100ft, just for the heck of it, and post the links. That will help.

Please also run an FMfool report, and post a screenprint of the results here, as the hyperlink doesn't link through. http://fmfool.com/

Last edited by MikeBear; 16-Oct-2015 at 3:47 AM.
MikeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Oct-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
Tower Guy

Try it with the preamp and power supply removed from the circuit.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Oct-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
JBVT

Thanks for your help, Mike! I mistakenly omitted the preamp model.

The preamp is a Winegard LNA 200. The antenna was one of Denny's HD antennas. Not sure of the brand but it appears to be a RCA yagi.

The trees are 80 ft tall, but they sit on a hill that is level with the roof line of the house. That is the hill closest to the house. There is a taller hill 400 ft. east with the same type and density of trees.

Currently, I can receive all the channels listed (14, 22, 13, 32, 43), albeit intermittently at times, and the 4 PBS channels (Virt 33.1, 33.2, 33.3, 33.4) and CW. I have the least trouble with the PPS stations. Most trouble with 22 (CBS).

If there is a way to receive all channels by improving my set up, I would like to have them all. There are times that I do receive all channels, but this is becoming less frequent.

The FM Fool report is attached.
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-FM.png (97.4 KB, 488 views)
Old 16-Oct-2015, 12:49 PM   #5
JBVT

Thanks for the reply, Towerguy. I did try a test run initially without the preamp using the existing length of cable and I remember the signal being less reliable. I added the preamp and noticed an immediate improvement. The preamp was not in line without power when I conducted the test.
Old 17-Nov-2015, 6:15 PM   #6
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Here's a thought: if you are really that close to Mt. Mansfield, then chances are good that the antenna is aimed into the trees and not at the transmitters. I would try angling the antenna up directly at the transmitters. This may require some ingenuity, and possibly a little gentle metal bending, but I think that it may help, because it should minimize a source of multipath interference for you.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote