TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Feb-2015, 4:10 PM   #1
Vienna, Virginia

New Antenna? New Tuner? New TV?

I purchased an indoor antenna in June 2012 (Terk HDTVi) that picked up OTA channels well (4,5,7,9,14,20,30,32 50,66 etc..). Recently, I accidentally brushed against it and moved it by a few inches out of place. I lost all channels except for the 30-1 thru 30-6. So I went and got a RCA OMNI antenna and still did not get the channels I used to get OTA (only 30-1 thru 30-6). Relocated TV and antenna and still only got 30-1 thru 30-6.
I live on the top level of a 4 level condo. The only outside view I have is of the courtyard plus sky (west and northwest) and the next building across. I am pretty much surrounded by drywall on the other 3 sides. What antenna would you recommend.? Also I am now wondering if it might be a TV (tuner?) problem. I have a SANSUI 22 inches SLEDD that I purchased from BJ’s back in 6/2012 so it is relatively new to be broken. I only need a small TV as I only watch 4,5,7,9, and 50.
If it is not an antenna issue, I would appreciate being pointed towards the right direction (new TV?, new tuner? Don’t know)
I also have a HAIER mini portable TV which I connected to a Westinghouse rabbit ear antenna and it works fine and picks up the channels I watch (4,5,9,50 etc...but not 7)
Radar report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cd3fcc400cd899
PS: I am technically challenged so please forgive me in advance.

Last edited by Vienna, Virginia; 20-Feb-2015 at 4:15 PM.
Vienna, Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2015, 4:32 PM   #2
signals unlimited

PA. DTV reception

Sounds like you zaped the TV in the tuner. Lots of choices for new sets. I prefer the LG brand for their performance on antenna and ease of operation.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2015, 4:57 PM   #3
tomfoolery

Switch antennas, and try again. Rescan. Double rescan.

A static shock may have zapped the tuner, but start with the easy stuff. I can't see brushing up against that antenna (non-amplified, yet) and doing real damage to it, but anything is possible.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2015, 5:30 PM   #4
Vienna, Virginia

Switch antennas, and try again. Rescan. Double rescan.

Hi 8~D tomfoolery and signal unlimited,

I am very grateful for your kind assistance and information

I did all of the above ( Switch antennas, and try again. Rescan. Double rescan) in the hopes that it will fix the problem but it did not help. Still only getting 30-1 thru 30-6.

Any other steps, before I buy a new TV set? I may need help with selection ( decent brand but not super expensive, 22 inch is good, - don't want big - just for OTA and maybe later on possibly cable but nothing else).

Again, please pardon my ignorance
Old 20-Feb-2015, 6:20 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Not to worry, all new TV sets contain the ability to receive both antenna and (unscrambled) cable signals (known as QAM). However, it should be noted that cable companies nationwide are converting their systems so that you will have to have a set top box. This will make the cable portion of the internal TV tuner's obsolete once that happens.

Small TV sets are becoming increasingly inexpensive. No-name models in that size usually sell for well under $150. Best Buy even has a 19" Dynex LCD on clearance for $89.99.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 20-Feb-2015 at 6:24 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Feb-2015, 5:40 PM   #6
Vienna, Virginia

Thank You To Y'all For The Wonderful Assistance 8~D

I broke down over the weekend and got a 24" basic LG TV for $137 including taxes 8~P.

Hopefully it does not break and make me cry