TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Jan-2014, 3:58 PM   #1
life_aquatic

Need suggestions - (this is a cool site!)

I cut the cord and now I'm trying to get things straightened away for OTA.

Here is my report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b943803f9f3b1

My house has an old antenna on the rooftop of a single story home, attached to the chimney (~25 ft?). Couldn't tell what kind it was, but it looks exactly like the one in the picture in this article. http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...ealer_jef.html

The antenna appears to be pointing pretty close to the right direction NW towards Cleveland towers (I used my cell phone compass - i know this isn't optimal).

I'm not sure on the distance of cable I have running from the antenna to the TVs. I have two TV's in the house. I installed this amplifier which helped. http://www.lowes.com/pd_79376-63374-...ier&facetInfo=

Currently on my TV that has a convertor box I get real channels 47,23,49,17,30,34,8,26 pretty consistently. The one channel I want but rarely if ever get is channel 15.

My digital television (LG from around 2007, i think) is usually much worse in what it picks up. For instance, last night it started off getting nearly everything above, but later it was only getting channel 8, and maybe one or two other channels I don't care for. I did attach the convertor box to this cable and it seemed to get just about everything, so I assume the problem is most likely that the tuner in the TV is not as good.

What suggestions would you have on what to do next in troubleshooting? My first thought was running some new coax from the antenna? Or a new antenna?

Thanks for your input.
life_aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2014, 7:30 PM   #2
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by life_aquatic View Post
I cut the cord and now I'm trying to get things straightened away for OTA.

Here is my report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b943803f9f3b1

My house has an old antenna on the rooftop of a single story home, attached to the chimney (~25 ft?). Couldn't tell what kind it was, but it looks exactly like the one in the picture in this article. http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...ealer_jef.html

The antenna appears to be pointing pretty close to the right direction NW towards Cleveland towers (I used my cell phone compass - i know this isn't optimal).

I'm not sure on the distance of cable I have running from the antenna to the TVs. I have two TV's in the house. I installed this amplifier which helped. http://www.lowes.com/pd_79376-63374-...ier&facetInfo=

Currently on my TV that has a convertor box I get real channels 47,23,49,17,30,34,8,26 pretty consistently. The one channel I want but rarely if ever get is channel 15.

My digital television (LG from around 2007, i think) is usually much worse in what it picks up. For instance, last night it started off getting nearly everything above, but later it was only getting channel 8, and maybe one or two other channels I don't care for. I did attach the convertor box to this cable and it seemed to get just about everything, so I assume the problem is most likely that the tuner in the TV is not as good.

What suggestions would you have on what to do next in troubleshooting? My first thought was running some new coax from the antenna? Or a new antenna?

Thanks for your input.
My best guess, is that you have a Winegard 8200.

Since you say that the amp improved things, I would suspect that you may be right about the coax. The matching transformer is also a cheap thing to swap out. Wire brushing the threads and wing nuts may also help and some kind of grease will also retard the oxidation. Many here, also reccomend coax seal.

Cell phone compasses don't seem to be very popular amongst other members on here.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2014, 8:17 AM   #3
teleview

+=>
----
The Current Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels that are being transmitted and received in the , USA , Canada, Mexico , are.

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

The antenna in the picture looks like typical All Channel Antenna.

-------

Is the antenna damaged and broken??

If not damaged or broken.

Does the antenna have a matching transformer (balun) the connects to the antenna terminals and to the coax.

Is the matching transformer a separate device that is connected to the antenna??

Or is the matching transformer built in to the antenna??

If the matching transformer is Seperate.

Then replace the matching transformer with a New Matching Transformer.

You can buy the new outdoor type matching transformer at , Home Depot or Lowes.

As a Test of reception , connect a NEW Continues length of RG-6 coax that has the Compression type connectors on the ends of the coax.
To the new matching transformer and run the coax through a open door or window direct to the converter box.
And then direct to the LG TV.

Do not use any splitters or amplifiers for the Test of reception.

It is the , antenna , matching transformer , new continues length of coax, and converter box / Tv.

Digital Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

---------

If the antenna is damaged and broken or you will like to install a New antenna.

Then install a , www.channelmasterstore.com , HD5016 antenna and aim the antenna at about 290 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to to aim the old antenna or new antenna.

www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

------

Here some places to buy antennas and and etc. .

www.amazon.com

www.channelmasterstore.com

----------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcat Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not All Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Tv Reseption.

Multi-Path Refletcing Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in directions of reception.

What is reception like now??