TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Sep-2013, 5:47 PM   #1
luvingthesun

Reception issues............HELP PLEASE!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae0ea57b2751

This is the link to the analysis I ran. I am using a Clearstream 4 that I mounted to a Direct TV satellite pole. The antenna is then attached to the existing coax cable that the Direct TV dish was hooked up to. Additionally, I am using a splitter, which was also in place and used by the Direct TV satellite. Should I be utilizing an signal booster and what direction should I point it to get the best reception on all available channels that are in the "green" and "yellow" shaded areas? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
luvingthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Sep-2013, 7:00 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

It's possible that the 'slitter' is not a splitter. Many satellite system parts are not able to pass OTA TV signals.

Start by facing the CS4 toward 250° (per a real compass). Run a cable not longer than 50' directly from the antenna to a single TV that has a digital over the air tuner. Don't add any other parts such as amplifiers or splitters yet. Be sure the TV tuner is set for 'air' or 'antenna' mode, not 'cable'. Then scan for channels.

If your TV has a signal strength indicator, use it to fine tune the aim to produce reliable reception on as many channels as possible.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Sep-2013, 2:03 PM   #3
luvingthesun

Reception help

I will try that this weekend. Any suggestions on what type of cable I should use? Also, once I do that and get a better signal, what is considered a good enough signal to have it be reliable, in terms of signal strength percentage. Also, once I have this figured out, can a splitter be applied since I would like to have a second TV hooked up. If one can be utilized, any suggestions on what kind? Thanks for the help.
Old 5-Sep-2013, 4:06 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Additionally, I am using a splitter, which was also in place and used by the Direct TV satellite.
Replace the incompatible sat device with an appropriate splitter as recommended, when its time comes. Make the antenna work first with the simplest possible connection -antenna - one coax cable - TV set (properly configured).

RG6 coax is fine. If you already have RG6 quad shield, use it. Don't buy it and overspend for it because "quad shield has to better, right?". QS cable isn't needed for antenna signals but may be used.

Quote:
what is considered a good enough signal to have it be reliable, in terms of signal strength percentage
Peak it for best results. Every TV or converter box uses a different arbitrary scale, so the absolute numbers are relatively useless.

Do NOT use any pre-amplifiers. Perhaps a distribution amp might be needed, but we have no data yet to suggest one is needed.

Yes, a second (or more) TV set may be used. Let's get it working in the simplest configuration first.

Please note that we offer customer service and technical support 7 days a week. Please contact us directly if you need further assistance.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Sep-2013, 9:06 PM   #5
luvingthesun

reception issues

With regard to the existing cable installed by the old DirecTV installer, is any of that still usable? I would like to minimize the number of holes added or avoid drilling holes altogether.
Old 10-Sep-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

The cable should serve well in an OTA TV system if no water has gotten into it.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote