TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Mar-2013, 6:08 PM   #1
NightEyes

Losing Reception

I had a Channel Master 4228hd antenna installed in September 2012 (no router). The antenna is mounted on the South-East corner of the roof of my residence (2 story home). Here is the TV Signal Analysis report, which I based on the assumption that the antenna is at a height of 20 ft:

(http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda1bf28c7418)

At first, we were happy with the reception. However, after this winter’s storms, we have been gradually losing channels one at a time. From the ground there are no visible changes. The only change internally is that I removed the splitter. Now we are only feeding one TV directly rather than 2.
In September we were receiving, the following channels clearly (note: virt indicates the channel that shows on our TV):

CallSign Real (Virt)
CBOT-DT 25 (4.1)
CIII-DT 6 (6.1)
CBOFT-D 9 (9.1)
CHCHDT 22 (11.1)
CJOH-DT 13 (13.1)
CIII-DT 14 (14.1)
CICO-DT 24 (24.1)
CH1 HD (40-3) - could not find this in Signal Analysis to get Real number
CITS-DT 42 (42.1)
CHRO-DT 43 (43.1)
CFMT-DT 27 (60.1)
CITY-DT 17 (65.1)

Now we are having problems with the following channels:
CallSign Real (Virt) Reception
CBOT-DT 25 (4.1) Loss signal for days at a time. Before loss, channel came in an out. Good and clear when receiving which is most of the time.

CIII-DT 6 (6.1) no longer receiving. Before loss, channel came in and out. This was the first channel to go.

CICO-DT 24 (24.1) reception is choppy. Picture freezes on and off in a blocky picture.

CH1 HD (40-3) in and out, very choppy

CHRO-DT 43 (43.1) in and out. Reception is goes from clear to choppy. Picture freezes on and off in a blocky picture. Sometimes signal drops out completely. More often than not we do not receive this channel any more.

CITY-DT 17 (65.1) clear most of the times however it does become choppy.
Picture freezes on and off in a blocky picture. Sometimes signal drops out completely. Most of the time we still receive this channel.

All other channels listed in the first section are still good and clear.

We have not seen any correlation between weather and any of the reception problems.

Any ideas what could be causing this problem? Possible solutions?

In addition, I’m not a huge fan of heights, so from the Signal Analysis report do you think I could get away antenna in the attic and still get at least our initial reception? What will be the impact of snow load on the roof in this configuration? Will there be any impact to reception if I were to install a steel roof with an attic installation?

Thanks
NightEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Mar-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

First, gradual degradation of signal quality is a classic symptom of water in a connector and then being drawn into the coax or devise it's connected to. Trouble shoot by inspecting the connector for corrosion and moisture inside, and substituting known good coax...

Second, several signals are broadcast on VHF. The CM-4228 is a UHF only design, though it does have very limited abilities in the VHF bands.

Consider adding a UVSJ and a VHF antenna such as the Antennacraft CS600 to add support for real channels 2 through 13
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Mar-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
teleview

The -->Most Likely<-- cause of losing reception a little at a time is , Weather--> Water damage.

Water get's Into the Connections and Water get's into the Coax.

Water can also get into the coax connection of the CM4228HD antenna.

If so , some spray contact cleaner , inside the connector of the CM4228HD antenna will blast any water out and clean it out.
Unless there is a lot of water damage.

And Yes water can get into the inside of the coax where the connector is installed on the coax , Water damage inside the coax means the coax is Not Any Good.

As a Test.

To Prove Reception.

Connect a -->New<-- continues length of coax to the CM4228HD antenna and run the New loooong coax through a open door or window , Direct to the Tv.

No coax grounding coupler , No couplers , No splitters , No amplifiers , No electronic devices , No nothing.

It is the , CM4228HD antenna , the New coax , the Tv.

For outside coax and connectors use the coax that has the Compression type connectors , not the Old crimp type connectors on the ends of the coax.

And to make double sure that water does not get in outside connections and coax use Coaxseal. Wrap the connections and along the length of coax with coax seal.

http://www.coaxseal.com.

Install the CM4228HD -->Above The Peak of the Roof<-- in such a manner that reception is not blocked buy the roof and house in the directions of , north , north east , north west , south east.

Aim the CM4228HD at about 349 degree magnetic compass direction , Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Attics Are Not a reception friendly environment and Never Will Be a reception friendly environment
Signal attenuation , Electric/electronic interference , Multipath/reflections- signals bouncing all around in the attic.

That said , the Tv reception is strong signal strength at your location you can try the CM4228HD antenna in the attic.

---->However.<----

If you install a Metal roof , A Metal Roof means that the metal roof Will Disrupt and Block most of the Digital Tv reception with a Tv antenna in the attic.

Digital Broadcast Tv Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do a Double Rescan.

http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html.

Last edited by teleview; 1-Aug-2013 at 5:23 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 17-Mar-2013, 4:08 AM   #4
teleview

The CM4228HD UHF antenna is redesign for better reception of the UHF channel band of 14 thru 51 and better reception of the VHF channels 7 thru 13.

The UHF channel band was channels 14 thru 69.

The frequency's that make up the UHF TV channels 69 thru 52 were - stolen - (sold off) to the cell phone and wireless internet people.

And the Old 4228 was also good at receiving VHF channels 7 thru 13.

The Old and New 4228 antennas are good at receiving VHF channels.

Here is Channel Masters own information.

And a independent evaluation.

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/Di...CM-4228hd.html.

http://www.antennahacks.com/Comparis...F_Shootout.htm.

The Digital VHF channels.

CJOT-DT Digital VHF 13 CTV.

CBOFT-DT Digital VHF 9 French Tv , is also transmitted , CBOFT-DT UHF 33 French Tv.

CIII-DT Digital VHF 6 GTN , is also transmitted , CIII-DT UHF 14 GTN.

And All are Strong Signal Strength so should be no problems with reception.

Last edited by teleview; 21-Mar-2013 at 4:34 PM.
Old 21-Mar-2013, 1:53 AM   #5
NightEyes

Thanks for the assistance.

When I can get on the roof to fix the coax and add a UVSJ and a VHF antenna is there any specs I should be concerned about for a coupler to bring both antenna feeds into on coax to feed the TV?
Old 21-Mar-2013, 2:01 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

I would use an Antennas Direct EU385CF... http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc...f+vhf+combiner

You get a very good UVSJ and a great weather proof box that mounts easily.
Old 21-Mar-2013, 3:24 AM   #7
teleview

CIII-TV VHF Analog low band channel 2 , GTN.

Is also CIII-DT Digital VHF low band channel 6 , GTN

Is also CIII-DT Digital UHF channel 14 , GTN.

What other Receivable VHF low band channels of 2 thru 6 , Digital or Analog are to receive now or in the future , and if so , what direction/s will the CS600 antenna be aimed to receive them.

I recommend hold off on the CS600 VHF low band channels 2 thru 6 , VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 antenna.

Until such time that New , VHF Digital low band channels , VHF Digital high band channels , begin transmitting that will require a second antenna.
Old 21-Mar-2013, 4:06 AM   #8
GroundUrMast

Save money and time if you can

It certainly makes sense to save money if reliable reception can be had with just the existing antenna.

But in your first post you said,
Quote:
CIII-DT 6 (6.1) no longer receiving. Before loss, channel came in and out. This was the first channel to go.
This strongly suggests that CIII is currently operating on real CH-6... You may want to check with the CIII engineering staff to confirm whether or not they are simulcasting on the other channels. If they are operating on multiple channels, you'll need to determine how to program your TV to use the best channel and avoid tuning an unreliable real channel. If your only option is to receive real channel 6, the CM-4228 was not doing a good job when first installed which is understandable and you'll need a VHF capable antenna.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 21-Mar-2013 at 4:07 AM. Reason: sp.
Old 31-Mar-2013, 1:41 AM   #9
Lil Freek

I recently set-up my antenna, and CBOT-DT is super flaky. From what I've heard, it's a bit underpowered. I receive all the other channels that broadcast from Camp Fortune with full signal, and CBOT-DT is poor, at best.
Lil Freek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Sep-2013, 4:52 PM   #10
NightEyes

Channel 6 was coming in clear and strong when first installed in Sep 2012. It wasn't until Dec 2012 that I started having problems with this channel, and finally lost reception in January 2013.