TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Mar-2013, 1:50 AM   #1
pigskins

Antenna recommendation please

Here's my data:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda1cd064f89b

I was told I need a UHF/VHF setup because some of our local channels are VHF. I am leaning towards a Clearstream 2v but would like some feedback.

TY!
pigskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2013, 1:59 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

The C2V is a decent recommendation, However, I would encourage you to go up a notch or two if you also want to receive WPXJ and/or WGCE. I'm thinking a Winegard HD7696P equipped with an Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2013, 2:10 AM   #3
teleview

Your location at the 20 foot antenna height has 2 Canada Tv stations that are receivable.

And more USA Tv stations will most likely be received with a antenna higher then 20 feet.

To see what happens to signal strengths of Canada and USA Tv stations signal strengths at higher antenna heights , please make 3 more tvfool radar plot reports , 40 , 60 , 100 , feet antenna heights.
Old 19-Mar-2013, 6:43 PM   #4
pigskins

Question about that CPA-19 preamp - if the antenna is being split into different rooms, where does the preamp go?

On another note, for the heck of it I thought I'd see what a local electrician would want to run cabling to 4 bedrooms using preexisting runs/plates (there is phone to each bedroom but house was built before cable TV so nothing else). Also asked him to include CAT5e since we'll likely be streaming, too. $900!! Guess I'll be getting dirty.
Old 19-Mar-2013, 6:53 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The pre-amp goes on the mast at the antenna. The power supply is typically located just "upstream" of the splitter distribution box.

However, you should not need a pre-amp. A four port distribution amp should work well if any amplification is needed.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Apr-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
pigskins

Two more questions if I may...

Things seem to be working well with the C2V mounted in my attic for the time being. However during certain times of the day, some channels lose signal strength. It's usually channel 10-1 and 10-2 but sometimes 13-1 also. 8, 21, 31 looking pretty good. Is this a positioning issue? There are some times when signal strength is great and channels come in fine.

Second question, if I go with a pre-amp how do I power it when using with a 4-way splitter? Thank you!
Old 12-Apr-2013, 3:20 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The difficulties may easily be attributed to either attic-induced multi-path, electrical/electronic interference from household items, FM interference, overloaded amplifier or tuner, etc. You'd have to go through a process of elimination to figure out the cause and to find what will eliminate the problem.

For representative connection diagrams, please see this page: http://www.antennasdirect.com/empoweren10475.html

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
pigskins

More weirdness...was checking cable, connections, etc. and noticed that if I move around the room I get reception on ch 10. Mind you this is in the bedroom below the attic where antenna is mounted. I also noticed when ch 10 not coming in in one room it does come in on a TV in another room hooked up to same splitter.
Old 14-Apr-2013, 3:31 PM   #9
teleview

The situation that comes to mind is , damaged coax / connectors.

Disconnect the coax from the splitter that feeds the Tv with the problems.

Connect a New long coax to the splitter and run the New long coax to the Tv that has the reception situations.

And ->All So , any and all other , coax , couplers , connectors , splitters , electric , electronic devices and etc. , can be the cause of odd and strange reception situations.

And also , having the antenna in the attic can also be the cause all manner of odd and strange reception situations.

The idea is to install a Tv antenna at location that has the least amount to no amount of - any thing - that can effect reception in a negative way.

I remember a situation that , at a house I was was checking out reception problems of cable Tv.

I finally solved the reception problems.

I replaced 3 coax jumpers that connected VCR's and cable boxes to the 2 Tv's.

Looking at the coax jumpers , the coax jumpers , looked 100% , no visable damage.

2 coax jumpers had broken center wire and the 3rd had damaged separated foil shield and shied wires.

This story is to provided to help expand the thinking , not limit the the thinking to only coax jumpers.

Last edited by teleview; 12-Jun-2013 at 6:15 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.