TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Dec-2011, 4:30 PM   #1
dodgeman1973

antenna recommendations needed

well i found out my old antenna is vhf only. i do get the uhf stations on my tv fool in green and yellow though. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...40330d0eb2d38a. i am looking for a uhf only antenna to get WLMT and WREG. i have one in mind http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=. is this a good choice or what are your recommendations? thanks
dodgeman1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Dec-2011, 5:15 AM   #2
Electron

Re: Tv Reception with Tv antennas

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2831 .
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Dec-2011, 5:23 AM   #3
Electron

Re: Tv Reception with Tv antennas

Install a Winegard HD7084 antenna aimed at about 252 degree magnetic compass. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html . Replace all outside coax with new RG-6 coax , and any inside coax that looks like it might be bad , replace it with new RG-6. Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com. Here are antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html

Last edited by Electron; 13-Dec-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-Dec-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Dave Loudin

John, please read what the OP is looking for. He already has VHF capability. The LAST thing he needs is an all-band antenna.

Dodgeman1973, do you get just WMC and WMAE, or do you get other channels, like the FOX station? Your idea will work for the two stations you are looking for. WBBJ and WLTJ are probably strong enough to be picked up off the side of the 9032, but WJKT is not.

Combine the two antennas with a special coupler known as a UVSJ. You can find it for $5 or so at wherever you buy your antenna.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Dec-2011, 4:25 PM   #5
dodgeman1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Loudin View Post
John, please read what the OP is looking for. He already has VHF capability. The LAST thing he needs is an all-band antenna.

Dodgeman1973, do you get just WMC and WMAE, or do you get other channels, like the FOX station? Your idea will work for the two stations you are looking for. WBBJ and WLTJ are probably strong enough to be picked up off the side of the 9032, but WJKT is not.

Combine the two antennas with a special coupler known as a UVSJ. You can find it for $5 or so at wherever you buy your antenna.
yes i do get WHBQ. wouldn't be a big deal to lose WJKT. on occasion i do get WREG and WLMT.
Old 12-Dec-2011, 9:12 PM   #6
Electron

Reception with tv antennas

I see that it is Ok for Ground Ur Mast to recommend a HD8200U the largest consumer All Channel antenna there is , but is Not Ok for any one else to recommend a , all channel antenna. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2831

Last edited by Electron; 13-Dec-2011 at 1:53 AM.
Old 13-Dec-2011, 5:58 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
I see that it is Ok for Ground Ur Mast to recommend a HD8200U the largest consumer All Channel antenna there is , but is Not Ok for any one else to recommend a , all channel antenna. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2831
Yes, I recommended a large all channel antenna... prefaced with "If I were starting from scratch, using the 25' AGL signal predictions..." I later edited the post to include my reasoning.

To be honest, noise on the low-VHF band and co-channel interference from the opposite direction make me think that the HD8200U has very little chance of reliable reception to the NBC affiliate WMC-DT, real CH-5. If there is a better NBC option, I've missed it.

Even a pair of cut-to-channel Yagis, stagger stacked to maximize the F/B ratio may not be enough to 'get' WMC-DT.

It's OK for anyone to agree or disagree with me. Please be polite and professional either way.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 13-Dec-2011 at 6:53 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Dec-2011, 8:32 PM   #8
dodgeman1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Yes, I recommended a large all channel antenna... prefaced with "If I were starting from scratch, using the 25' AGL signal predictions..." I later edited the post to include my reasoning.

To be honest, noise on the low-VHF band and co-channel interference from the opposite direction make me think that the HD8200U has very little chance of reliable reception to the NBC affiliate WMC-DT, real CH-5. If there is a better NBC option, I've missed it.

Even a pair of cut-to-channel Yagis, stagger stacked to maximize the F/B ratio may not be enough to 'get' WMC-DT.

It's OK for anyone to agree or disagree with me. Please be polite and professional either way.
its ok . i'm just taking in all this info and i appreciate it!
Old 15-Dec-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
Electron

Tv Reception with Tv antennas

I see no other receivable NBC television station or NBC digital subchannel. . My point of view is to evaluate the situation and arrive at a answer that will most likley produce desired results. Yes it is true that WMC-DT 5 NBC is a weak signal and digital tv signals are subject to interference in the VHF low band channels of 2 thru 6. However the way I see it is that it is Better to have tried and succeeded or have tried and not succeeded then to give up before even trying. And it is best to try with the best antenna for the job like a Winegard HD7084 or Winegard HD8200U or a Channel Master CM3671.
Old 15-Dec-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
Dave Loudin

I have no disagreement with you on this point, John. I'm just saying that the OP already has a VHF antenna that works for him. He asked for a UHF-only antenna.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Dec-2011, 11:47 PM   #11
dodgeman1973

Quote:
I see no other receivable NBC television station or NBC digital subchannel. . My point of view is to evaluate the situation and arrive at a answer that will most likley produce desired results. Yes it is true that WMC-DT 5 NBC is a weak signal and digital tv signals are subject to interference in the VHF low band channels of 2 thru 6. However the way I see it is that it is Better to have tried and succeeded or have tried and not succeeded then to give up before even trying. And it is best to try with the best antenna for the job like a Winegard HD7084 or Winegard HD8200U or a Channel Master CM3671.
WMC always is at about 80%. been at 95% to 100% today. thanks for your recommendations
Old 16-Dec-2011, 6:04 AM   #12
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeman1973 View Post
WMC always is at about 80%. been at 95% to 100% today. thanks for your recommendations
Thank you for giving us this vital information. I did not directly ask, so I can't give you a hard time for not volunteering this earlier.

To be sure I understand, WMC reception is reliable (no pixelation or drop outs) almost 100% of the time?

Old 16-Dec-2011, 1:02 PM   #13
dodgeman1973

Quote:
Thank you for giving us this vital information. I did not directly ask, so I can't give you a hard time for not volunteering this earlier.

To be sure I understand, WMC reception is reliable (no pixelation or drop outs) almost 100% of the time?
once or twice a day WMC goes out for a few seconds and comes back in. i'm looking at it right now and its at 81%. i think thats really good considering its 70 something miles away. WHBQ on the other hand goes in and out often but,is watchable,it drops out for a few seconds and comes back in. this happens about every other hour. what makes the memphis uhf stations come in every few days? and when they come in they are around 70%.
Old 16-Dec-2011, 2:26 PM   #14
GroundUrMast

Quote:
once or twice a day WMC goes out for a few seconds and comes back in. i'm looking at it right now and its at 81%. i think thats really good considering its 70 something miles away. WHBQ on the other hand goes in and out often but,is watchable,it drops out for a few seconds and comes back in. this happens about every other hour. what makes the memphis uhf stations come in every few days? and when they come in they are around 70%.
Atmospheric conditions change constantly which can cause a great deal of variation in signal levels, particularly when signals are traveling long distances. I suspect that, together with the fact that your existing antenna is not designed to receive UHF explains why the UHF signals from Memphis are visible on occasion.

At this point, it's up to you...

Do you think the existing antenna is serviceable? if so, adding a large UHF antenna and preamp is worth considering.

If you think the existing antenna is in need of replacement you can replace it with a large all channel antenna. Or, a large UHF and separate VHF. A preamp is still going to help deliver the hard won signal to your set.

In either case, if you have safe access to a higher mounting location, you may gain signal strength. You can always run more TV Fool Reports at other antenna heights.

Old 16-Dec-2011, 3:32 PM   #15
dodgeman1973

Quote:
Atmospheric conditions change constantly which can cause a great deal of variation in signal levels, particularly when signals are traveling long distances. I suspect that, together with the fact that your existing antenna is not designed to receive UHF explains why the UHF signals from Memphis are visible on occasion.

At this point, it's up to you...

Do you think the existing antenna is serviceable? if so, adding a large UHF antenna and preamp is worth considering.

If you think the existing antenna is in need of replacement you can replace it with a large all channel antenna. Or, a large UHF and separate VHF. A preamp is still going to help deliver the hard won signal to your set.

In either case, if you have safe access to a higher mounting location, you may gain signal strength. You can always run more TV Fool Reports at other antenna heights.
i would say this antenna is about 20 years old and its huge. i have tried different heights and as i went up the signal got worse on all channels (thought it would get better) i do have a pre-amp now. i should have said this earlier but, i really can't spend alot of money. thats why i was looking at the Winegard HD-9032. if i did get another combo antenna i was looking at this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Outdoo...nd-HDTV/872034. but it says uhf range is 35 miles and i need a 70 mile range. my pre amp is the AntennaCraft 10G212.
Old 16-Dec-2011, 6:08 PM   #16
GroundUrMast

The HD9032 has a good chance of giving you the Memphis UHF signals. The RCA is not enough antenna in your application IMO.

Old 16-Dec-2011, 6:46 PM   #17
dodgeman1973

Quote:
The HD9032 has a good chance of giving you the Memphis UHF signals. The RCA is not enough antenna in your application IMO.
ok,thanks. i think i will go with the HD9032
Old 16-Dec-2011, 7:18 PM   #18
dodgeman1973

Quote:
ok,thanks. i think i will go with the HD9032
i ordered it.thanks for all the help
Old 17-Dec-2011, 4:31 PM   #19
Electron

Tv Reception with Tv antennas

WMC has reliable reception. I have been and am now recommending reception of low band tv channels 2 thru 6 , all along at this question askers post and Many of other question askers posts. I have been met with Extreme Resistance in the past and the present from the other helpers here at tv fool. I also do my best to help question askers receive the analog tv channels. Low power and repeater analog tv transmitters can transmit analog until the year 2015. By that time the FCC Federal Communications Commission aproved plan is to have all analog tv transmitters converted to digital.

Last edited by Electron; 18-Dec-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 17-Dec-2011, 5:55 PM   #20
dodgeman1973

Quote:
WMC has reliable reception. I have been and am now recommending reception of low band tv channels 2 thru 6 , all along. I have been met with Extreme Resistance in the past and the present from the other helpers here at tv fool. I also do my best to help question askers receive the analog tv channels. Low power and repeater analog tv transmitters can transmit analog until the year 2015. By that time the FCC Federal Communications Commission aproved plan is to have all analog tv transmitters converted to digital.
i didn't know they had to go digital. learn something new everyday.