TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Apr-2012, 3:31 PM   #1
Mercutio_Jones

Suggestions for best orientation, two antennas

Hello everyone,

I am using an antenna direct DB8 on one tv and a GE Futura on another. Here is my location report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...267e9e431782ee

What would be the best compass direction for these antennas? I have generally had good luck just pointing the DB8 due south, but I added the Futura recently on the same pole just above the DB8.

This past Saturday, I picked up (briefly) stations from Dallas, TX and Austin, TX, which are about 250 and 350 miles away, respectively. No luck repeating this feat so far :>(

Also, with the Futura, does it matter which "face" of the antenna is pointed toward the transmitter?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jones.
Mercutio_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Apr-2012, 3:49 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Do not try combining the two antennas. It rarely works. Either use one antenna with a rotor or use an A-B switch to select the active antenna.

Quote:
This past Saturday, I picked up (briefly) stations from Dallas, TX and Austin, TX, which are about 250 and 350 miles away, respectively. No luck repeating this feat so far :>(
Tropospheric ducting. Don't get used to the out-of-market stations because the signals vary tremendously over relatively short periods of time.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Apr-2012, 3:56 PM   #3
Mercutio_Jones

thanks, should I have them on separate poles/masts?
Old 2-Apr-2012, 4:37 PM   #4
Mercutio_Jones

I guess I should clarify that the two antennas are connected to completely separate tv's, each with its own coax cable, they are only on the same pole.
Old 2-Apr-2012, 8:04 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

If possible, separate the the two antennas by at least four feet. The can share the same mast but the closer they are to one another, the more they 'detune' one another.

The two antennas are entirely different in terms of gain, directivity and bandwidth.

The GE Futura is discussed and dissected in this thread at digitalhome.ca: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=117594

What are your goals? Are each of the antennas receiving the stations you need/want?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Apr-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
Mercutio_Jones

My goals are mainly to maintain clear reception on the channels I currently get which are based in Lawton, OKlahoma and Wichita Falls, TX. I am figuring out that Oklahoma City, over 80 miles away, is pretty unrealistic to want to pick up. I think I am probably going to separate the two antennas and just resolve myself to the channels I can pick up now. That and my Roku box ought to satisfy me
Old 3-Apr-2012, 2:11 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

The DB8 should be doing well receiving Wichita Falls and Grandfield area signal when it's facing SSW.

If you're not receiving KSWO reliably, you could add an Antennacraft Y5713 pointed at 208°. Using a UVSJ you can insert the signal into the existing coax run from the DB8 to the TV.

The GE antenna is not going to have the gain or directivity that the DB8 offers. The manual for the product lacks any information regarding the directional capability of the antenna which reaffirms my suspicion that the product is intended to be omnidirectional more or less. I don't expect the GE antenna to provide reliable reception of anything other than the strongest signals.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 3-Apr-2012 at 2:20 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 3-Apr-2012, 2:19 AM   #8
GroundUrMast

I suspect a tower 80' or higher would make some Oklahoma City signals possible. However, Oklahoma City signals will be below the horizon or blocked by terrain even if you had access to a 500' tower.

Old 3-Apr-2012, 2:02 PM   #9
Mercutio_Jones

An 80 foot tower is out of the question due to zoning. Last night I adjusted the DB8 to approx 200 degrees and I am picking up the Grandfield transmitter with about 80% or better signals across the board. Will continue experimenting with the GE. Thanks for the advice, I sure do appreciate it.