TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-May-2011, 6:19 PM   #1
gduke

Reception issue. Help Please!!!!!

I just recently switched from cable to OTA and HTPC only. Previously I had been with Dish Network and OTA. I have never had any OTA Antenna reception issues ever weather it be through dish or directly to my TV. I have a Channel Master 4228 antenna.

Anyway I bought a HDHomeRun tuner. I now get good reception, but with issues. I am loosing reception quality on WAPT and WLBT. The two station closest to me. The picture will stutter/pixilate/drop sound for a split second every few minutes. I have replaced my router and HDHomerun device. This didn't help. I have been in contact with support and they say this is a reception issue. This antenna is mounted in my attic. I am running coax to the tuner. I have tried moving the tuner to the attic and running CAT 5e to the router and this didn't help either. This was suggested to eliminate possible RF signal bursts from my computer or router. Anyway, I was thinking of getting a preamp, but I don't know if that will help as these stations with issues are the closest ones. I can't move this size antenna outdoors as it would be an eyesore. Can anyone help me? I've been trying on other forums, but can't get any solid advice. Thanks.

Here is the link for my location.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...574717312dd278
gduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-May-2011, 9:58 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Here is the truth about outdoor Tv antennas. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html. Outdoor antennas are , handsome , pretty , and very good looking. . The signals at your location are Very Strong , the multipath environment of the attic is likley overloading the tuner with to much Very Strong multipath. Adding a amplifier will make the situation even worse. Amplifiers amplify the multipath also.

Last edited by John Candle; 22-May-2011 at 6:56 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-May-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
John Candle

Antennas receive the best when there is a clear shot between the transmitting antenna and the receiving antenna. Antennas like elbow room. Antennas receive the best when nothing is crowding into there personal space to upset them. Antennas direct the yammering multipath to the tuner and the tuner says this is too much yammering noise for me and sticks it's fingers in it's ears.
Old 19-May-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

I agree with JC that an amplifier is not indicated - in fact it is contra-indicated.

I'll be curious to see if there is a possibility of FM interference. FM traps are not very expensive, so you may want to simply try one.

JC is also right, that attics can be troublesome places for reliable reception. At least consider testing reception with the antenna outdoors in the clear. A panel antenna is one of the least conspicuous of all antennas... IMO. I applaud your desire to be a good neighbor, but is there a point where one could become a slave to the loudest complainers?

I own three HDHR's, they like to be fed clean fresh RF.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 20-May-2011 at 4:09 PM. Reason: TG posted TVFR and FMFR
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-May-2011, 1:24 AM   #5
John Candle

http://www.radioshack.com . Has FM TRAP , Model # 9FT293C-1 , radio shack # 15-024 , $7.99 .
Old 20-May-2011, 1:08 PM   #6
gduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
http://www.radioshack.com . Has FM TRAP , Model # 9FT293C-1 , radio shack # 15-024 , $7.99 .
I canceled the order on the preamp. I have since tested my signal directly from the TV (which is working perfectly) and I am getting 100% for these channels. I have ordered a attenuator. Is this the same thing as the FM trap? If I get time I'll try putting the antenna outside this weekend.
Old 20-May-2011, 3:36 PM   #7
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
It will help us understand your situation better if you can provide a TVF report that accurately predicts the conditions at your location.
From the other forum here's his real TV & FM fool reports:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5747363b1c7c22

I don't see any glaring problems.
Attached Images
File Type: png gduke FM.PNG (211.1 KB, 579 views)
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-May-2011, 3:44 PM   #8
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post

I don't see any glaring problems.
It's hard to find the best location for an antenna inside an attic with a hip roof.

The antenna should miss your neighbor's roof and also aim through a single part of your roof while aimed SW. Is the antenna located close to the suggestion in the attached picture?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gduke's house.JPG (81.1 KB, 612 views)
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-May-2011, 4:23 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

Thanks TG.

I see the line between the transmitters and the OP's location passes just north of Jackson Evers Intl Airport and through downtown Jackson MS. Both are prime sources for multipath.

Quote:
The picture will stutter/pixilate/drop sound for a split second every few minutes.
This symptom is consistent with aircraft operations at an airport with scheduled operations.

The best advice I've got for now is, try the antenna outside the attic. You have control over that known source of attenuation and signal reflection.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 20-May-2011 at 4:27 PM.
Old 20-May-2011, 5:47 PM   #10
gduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
It's hard to find the best location for an antenna inside an attic with a hip roof.

The antenna should miss your neighbor's roof and also aim through a single part of your roof while aimed SW. Is the antenna located close to the suggestion in the attached picture?
Yes, that is pretty close to where it is.
Old 20-May-2011, 5:48 PM   #11
gduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Thanks TG.

I see the line between the transmitters and the OP's location passes just north of Jackson Evers Intl Airport and through downtown Jackson MS. Both are prime sources for multipath.

This symptom is consistent with aircraft operations at an airport with scheduled operations.

The best advice I've got for now is, try the antenna outside the attic. You have control over that known source of attenuation and signal reflection.
I'm going to try an attenuator and if that doesn't work then I'm moving it outside.
Old 20-May-2011, 5:48 PM   #12
gduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
Is this the same thing as an attenuator?
Old 20-May-2011, 5:49 PM   #13
gduke

John Cancle, is an attenuator the same thing as a FM Trap?
Old 20-May-2011, 9:23 PM   #14
John Candle

A FM trap attenuates the FM radio band only. An 'attenuator' attenuates all signals. Here is a attenuator , Model # 1296F variable attenuator from Antennas Direct. Install attenuators close to the antenna but not in front of the antenna.
Old 20-May-2011, 9:30 PM   #15
John Candle

Remember , antennas like elbow room and clear vision outside. If you are ashamed of antennas and try to hide it behind the house or stick it some where that no one can see it , well then you have your answer.
Old 21-May-2011, 4:08 AM   #16
John Candle

It is always correct to ground the coax that is connected to the antenna using a coax grounding block. The first choice of ground location is the house ground rod. A second choice is a cold water pipe , the cold water pipe must be real metal not plastic and the cold water pipe must be real metal that goes down into the ground out to the water main or to the well. Do Not connect to a hot water pipe. Grounding the shield part of the coax using a coax grounding block directs unwanted signals such as but not limited to - multipath - to ground. All manner of grounding supplies can be found at place like Homedepot and Lowes.
Old 25-May-2011, 1:33 PM   #17
gduke

Ok, so the attenuator didn't work. I was getting just as much flickering as I was getting before without it. I guess my next step is to take the antenna outside. I won't be able to mount it as high, but I guess outside is better than the attic. I guess I will try this sometime this weekend and report back early next week. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.
Old 7-Jun-2011, 2:48 PM   #18
gduke

Well, I fixed the issue. I tried moving the antenna outside over the memorial day weekend. That didn't help at all. I then moved the antenna back in the attic since that didn't help. Last week I ordered a new tuner (a different name brand). I installed it this weekend and it worked beautifully. I now have no stutter. The product that was failing in my configuration was the HDHomeRun. The product that solved the issue and I will keep is the Avermedia Duet. I figured I would reply and let you know the outcome. Thanks for your help.

Greg
Old 7-Jun-2011, 5:25 PM   #19
GroundUrMast

One of the more difficult problems to trouble shoot in a home LAN is duplex mismatch. Most Ethernet switches used in home LAN applications are unmanaged -- 'plug-and-play'. It's hard or impossible to determine if the switch port and NIC have both auto-detected the same duplex setting. The symptom of duplex-mismatch would be frame loss, resulting in missing packets, resulting in video and audio stutter or break-up.

The HDHR does provide a way to verify the Ethernet NIC speed and duplex.

Quote:
C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 101A5A4B get /sys/debug
mem: nbm=117/104 qwm=15 npf=622 dmf=282
loop: pkt=0
t0: pt=9 cal=2048-11381 bsw=155/435
t1: pt=9 cal=2048-10867 bsw=155/435
eth: link=100f
In the above, I used the command prompt on my XP box to 'get' the 'sys/debug'. The last line of output indicates the NIC is running 100 Mb/s, full-duplex.

It's possible too, that the tuners in the HDHR are bad...

Your internal tuner will not have the LAN connectivity issues to deal with.

Glad to hear you are up and running.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 7-Jun-2011 at 5:27 PM.