TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Apr-2015, 3:51 AM   #1
t56281

Advice for indoor or attic antenna

Hello everyone,

I have just tried the Mohu Leaf (along with the amplifier after a lengthy conversation with Mohu) and have not been able to find a location for the device where I can get the 4 channels I am interested in (WFLX Fox, WPBF ABC, WPTV NBC, and WPEC CBS). I am considering moving the leaf to the attic, but want to know if anyone has any different suggestions as to how I should proceed. All of the channels but NBC are in one direction, and Fox and ABC are UHF while NBC and CBS are Hi-V. Any leaf configurations or suggestions for different antennas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Pat

Signal Analysis Results: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f09af5f5e876
t56281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
StephanieS

Greetings Pat,

I feel your frustration! Those flat panel antennas work in some applications, but in others they are inadequate. Often buyers don't find out that these types of antennas aren't right for them until after the purchase and hours of frustration.

Your plot is complex in that you have high vhf (real channels 7-13) and UHF (14+) in two distinct headings. This takes you beyond a simple application and requires some planning to accommodate all your signals.

You have
Magnetic 220: real channels 42(IND), 27 (PBS), 28 (FOX), 12 (NBC) and 13(CBS)
Magnetic 330: real channels 38 (IND), 34 (CW), 16 (ABC) and a smattering of Low power signals.

For magnetic 220 you need high-vhf support and UHF. Magnetic 330 just needs UHF support. At this point, I suggest you return your Leaf if possible. It is not capable of meeting the directions and broadcast band needs you require.

The good news is you have the fortune of very good signal access.The Antennas Direct DB8e is built exactly for situations like yours. It is a larger "flat panel" type UHF antenna. The neat thing is half the antenna is capable of swiveling so that half the antenna can point one way and the other half can point another. This meets your needs by allowing a single UHF antenna to point to magnetic 220 and 330.

It would look like this:

Often UHF antennas can "see" high-VHF signals if they are strong enough even though the UHF antenna isn't designed for high-VHF reception. You may be in this situation. One DB8e might be good for all your major affiliates. If not, a small supplemental VHF supporting antenna could be mounted 4' below the DB8e pointed to magnetic 220. Something like a Antennacraft HBU11k would work for this. This would also require a signal combiner.

At this point though, I'd just suggest the DB8e. You can try mounting in your attic, or preferably on your roof on a chimney or eave mount..

How many TVs do you want to feed?

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2015, 11:30 PM   #3
t56281

Hi Stephanie,

I see that the DB8e is a great multidirectional antenna, but is there another less expensive option that you think would work? From what I have seen of the DB8e, it seems really powerful and I am wondering if I can get away with anything less powerful since the four channels I am looking at are each under 30 miles away. Thanks for your help!

Patrick
t56281 is offline   Reply With Quote