Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Mar-2012, 9:55 PM   #1
phastings

antenna help

Here is my location as close as I could get

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b861c3b2091ed

Any help would be appreciated

Ideally I would like to get the metro stations plus st cloud(ION)

If someone on here is a genius and can get me the mankato stations without much work I would consider that to be a giant bonus.

Thanks in advance

Paul Hastings
phastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2012, 5:38 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Just a little higher and I'll bet you will see a significant improvement in signal conditions. I expect the MSP area signals to be easy and Mankato within reach as well.

Can you post a couple more TV Fool reports one for 30' and another for 50'?

How many sets are going to be connected?

Take a look at this thread and tell us how you feel about a rotator, A/B switches and the other options: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882 (You get to be the final arbiter of what "much work" is.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 15-Mar-2012 at 5:41 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
phastings

I can probably be a bit higher but I think 30 is the limit and still be in the attic.As for number of TVs 3 initially, but I have 10 coax runs spread throughout the house.

Here is some more info that I had typed in, but was lost when I initially tried to post. I had to be somewhere so I just put the basic stuff out there before I lost that.

I had an antenna at about 12-15agl at our previous home(east about 7miles and a little south) in the garage attic and was able to receive all the metro stations really well, and saint cloud(ION) on most days. That home was at a lower elevation than our new house.

I bought a Lava HD2605 http://antennadeals.com/HD2605.html thinking I didn't need much here, but I'm only able to get a couple of stations of pixelated garbage.

As for the combiner(and two antennas) I think that would be a great solution to get the stations that are SW of me. I would prefer not to rotate because of tivo. I have plenty of room in the attic for two large antennas(12/12 roof pitch), so I am open to suggestions as to which antennas to buy and which combiner.

We did some antenna stuff in A&P school but I don't remember much.

Thanks for responding

Paul Hastings

Last edited by phastings; 15-Mar-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 15-Mar-2012, 4:53 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Attic mounting would not be my first choice. I would much prefer to mount on the roof, clear of neighboring trees and buildings.

If I use the TV Fool data provided in your first post, I'd start by pointing a Winegard HD7698P equipped with an Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp at about 45° (compass) then fine tune the aim to see if I can get KPXM reliably while not loosing any MSP signals I considered important to me.

During the testing phase, I'd also swing the antenna around to point in the direction of Mankato to see if I would be willing to invest in a second antenna dedicated to that direction.

Of course you can try this in the attic, but you'll be limiting your chances.

Old 16-Mar-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
phastings

Thanks, one more question before I order, Solid Signal has the Winegard HD7698P but they also have the Winegard HD8200u for the same price and it claims greater range.

Should I stick with your recommendation knowing this, also if you know of a better source to buy these from I'd be open to that.

Thanks again

Paul Hastings
Old 16-Mar-2012, 1:16 PM   #6
Dave Loudin

Range quotes are attempts to relate antenna gain to how far you can pick up stations. They have no technical basis, really. If you compare the quoted antenna gains for the two antennas, there's no real difference. The 8200 has much wider elements to cover channels 2-6, which you don't need. Stick with the 7698.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Mar-2012, 1:39 PM   #7
phastings

Thanks for clarifying that I'll get everything ordered and let you guys know my results in a week or so.
Old 2-Apr-2012, 2:47 PM   #8
phastings

As promised here is my report, I am getting all of the metro stations plus St. Cloud(ION) in all weather conditions. In clear conditions I can also receive (3abn) and mankato on some tuners.The weakest tuner is in the newest tv, however it generally is not a problem because that is where the tivo is hooked up.

Antenna is in the attic at a height of approx 28'agl pointed between 48-52 degrees.

I was able to get some signal with the Lava antenna as well, I'm going to try to use that for an RV antenna.

Thanks for the help

Paul Hastings
Old 2-Apr-2012, 7:36 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

That's good to hear. Thanks for letting us know.