TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-May-2016, 6:27 AM   #1
Kinetic

Roof-top Antenna recommendation

Looking to pick up as many channels as possible in Dripping Springs, TX (just west of Austin).

I may split once to a second tv, but probably just hooking up to one tv.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134256488fa23

Thanks in advance!
Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-May-2016, 2:14 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Hello, Kinetic:

You should get a good selection of channels if you use a Winegard HD7694P aimed at 66 degrees magnetic and the signal path is clear.(Corrected antenna model number)

An alternative might be the RCA ANT751, but I see a lot of trees in your area and the terrain in the signal path close to you is uneven.

Small changes in location and antenna height give a very different report. I don't have your exact address, but here is a report based on my estimate of your location:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...513429c8e8687a

moving up to 60 feet looks more like your report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134fd343da105

If KBVO-CD on real channel 31 gives you MyN, you don't need to worry about KCWX on 5 or 8.

You don't need a preamp if the signal path is clear in that direction.

If the antenna is outside, the coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg KineticTVFp2KEYE.JPG (101.4 KB, 1371 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 10-May-2016 at 11:13 PM. Reason: corrected antenna model number
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2016, 3:30 AM   #3
wizwor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
Looking to pick up as many channels as possible in Dripping Springs, TX (just west of Austin).

I may split once to a second tv, but probably just hooking up to one tv.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134256488fa23

Thanks in advance!
Kinetic, if there is ANY chance that you will eventually add a second set or plan to record one channel while watching another, I suggest you walk through the channels on your TVFool Report using wikipedia to identify subchannels and titantv.com to see what is on each channel. Then group the channels you would like to watch by band (vhf/uhf) and direction. You may discover that you can live with a stationary antenna or two stationary antennas (vhf and uhf). If that is the case, you can save the cost and aggravation of a rotor. I'll bet you can pick up most channels by joining a uhf antenna pointed at 75 degrees with a vhf antenna pointed at 42 degrees.

Looking at your vhf stations, KTBC (7) carries fox, movies!, and MeTV. KAKW (13) carries GetTV and Escape. KCWX carries MyNetwork and ThisTV. KCWX (5) is at 259 degrees but has a translator (8) at 70 degrees. You only need one of these.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2016, 3:46 AM   #4
Kinetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Kinetic, if there is ANY chance that you will eventually add a second set or plan to record one channel while watching another, I suggest you walk through the channels on your TVFool Report using wikipedia to identify subchannels and titantv.com to see what is on each channel. Then group the channels you would like to watch by band (vhf/uhf) and direction. You may discover that you can live with a stationary antenna or two stationary antennas (vhf and uhf). If that is the case, you can save the cost and aggravation of a rotor. I'll bet you can pick up most channels by joining a uhf antenna pointed at 75 degrees with a vhf antenna pointed at 42 degrees.

Looking at your vhf stations, KTBC (7) carries fox, movies!, and MeTV. KAKW (13) carries GetTV and Escape. KCWX carries MyNetwork and ThisTV. KCWX (5) is at 259 degrees but has a translator (8) at 70 degrees. You only need one of these.
Great Advice! Thanks!
Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote