TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Jul-2012, 3:49 PM   #1
Zandar

Trying to figure out what antenna I need

I just ran the TV Fool location report and would love some assistance on how to proceed -- Z.

here is the link to my report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1349e06168ad86

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Zandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jul-2012, 5:24 PM   #2
signals unlimited

Reception advise and antenna systems design

You have near by channels at 336 and 110 degrees magnetic. In both directions there are hills seriously robbing you of signal and setting up un-desirable multi-path signals. These are mostly UHF, however there are some translators in the High VHF (7-13) and in this area there could be some low VHF (2-6) translators come on line in the future. So the equipment I recommend is UHF/low VHF/high VHF with a narrow beamwidth to survive the multipath.

Mount a Winegard 8200u antenna and a AP8700 pre-amplifier above your roof as high as practical. To receive the channels from both 336 and 110 degrees use a Channel Master 9215 rotor, or use two 8200u antennas/amplifier combinations.

You can not combind these antennas into one coax. They must be seperate. To change location reception you need to use an A/B switch.

IMO the rotor option is the best way to go, as these antennas are very long and wide.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jul-2012, 5:34 PM   #3
Zandar

What are your thoughts

Will the DB8 antenna work for me too?

Antenna Direct DB8 multidirectional

And what is the difference between the pre-amps AP8700 and AP4700?

Z.
Old 3-Jul-2012, 5:39 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

I don't see a low VHF station within 100 miles except for several unbuilt LD CPs for religious broadcasters. I'd suggest saving the extra metal and sticking with a 7-51 antenna for whatever is available.

A DB8 on a rotor and with a pre-amp should do okay depending on your requirements. The only high-VHF stations on your chart are channels 7 & 8 that are currently analog-only and broadcast Spanish language programming. It's your call as to whether you want to try to get them.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 3-Jul-2012 at 5:56 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jul-2012, 6:16 PM   #5
Zandar

Does Multi-directional antenna work?

I am reading the specs on the DB8, and it claims to be multi-directional, will this work for me without having to rotate the antenna? Or, is multi-directional a marketing ploy?

Trying to keep it simple,

Z.
Old 3-Jul-2012, 6:39 PM   #6
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
I'd suggest saving the extra metal and sticking with a 7-51 antenna for whatever is available.
I agree. It's easy enough to add a VHF-Lo antenna if needed in the future.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jul-2012, 6:46 PM   #7
signals unlimited

DTV/cell phone reception advice and products

Multi-directional is a very bad choice for your area. The DB8 would work, but in your area where there is heavy reliance on translators I would go with the 8200.

The DTV broadcasters may need to rely on the low VHF channels in the future for translators due to over crowding in the more popular High V and UHF spectrum.

The 8200u would allow you to receive any stations that come on line anywhere in the DTV spectrum and other than the larger size there is no down side to this selection. It is the biggest and IMO the best choice for your situation.
Old 3-Jul-2012, 6:55 PM   #8
signals unlimited

DTV/cell phone reception advice and equipment

With the 8200 and rotor you are set for reception from any direction on any DTV channel. One time install, no up-grades ever...DONE!
Old 3-Jul-2012, 9:21 PM   #9
Electron

ALL questions and answers about broadcast tv reception and More.

I agree , The FCC - Federal Communications Commission and the National and International Broadband Wireless Internet and Cell Phone Providers pushing harder and harder every day to buy/ Steal 120 MHZ of the UHF Tv spectrum , thats 20 UHF Tv channels from the Tv Broadcasters.

The VHF low band channels 2 thru 6 will become the new Beach Front Property.
This what I have been saying all along. It is the point I have been doing my best to make , For A Long Time Now.

Zandar:

The TV transmissions are VERY WEAK at your location.

Research shows that there are receivable Tv channels that are both Analog and Digital Tv channels.

I recommend that a Winegard HD7084P antenna with a Winegard AP8700 preamp be installed and aimed at about 136 degree magnetic compass (south/east) for those Tv stations/channels.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The Tv stations/channels are split between between the north/west and south/east.

NBC , ABC , CBS and etc. are split between north/west and south/east.

The PBS Tv station is to the north/west at about 336 degree magnetic compass.

To receive the Tv stations/channels to the north/west and PBS to the north/west.
Install a second Winegard HD7084P antenna with a AP8700 preamp. Aimed at about 336 degree magnetic compass.

These antenna systems are 2 SEPARATE antenna systems and can not be connected together on to one coax.

The 2 Separate antenna systems coaxes will go to the location of the TV and be connected to a Remote Control A/B Coax Antenna Switch.

http://radioshack.com , #15-1968 , or , http://www.mcmelectronics.com , #32-4425.

Last edited by Electron; 4-Jul-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jul-2012, 9:34 PM   #10
Electron

All questions and answers about broadcast tv reception and More.

A 2 antenna system is , Channel Surfing Friendly , Push the button on the hand held remote control and change antennas and keep on watching Tv.

Here are some roof top antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , http://www.ronard.com.
Buy the ronard antenna mounts at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box.

Here are places to buy antennas and ect. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.amazon.com.

The Tv must scan for The Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Do Not scan for cable tv channels.
Old 3-Jul-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Electron

Also the old days of Tv channels staying the same year after year after year are gone now.

It is a good idea to scan for new channels from time to time because Tv channels can begin transmitting at any time with no advance notice.

And a Analog channel can change from a Analog channel to a Digital channel with no advance notice.
Old 3-Jul-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
Zandar

Installing two antenna

I need to ask this, since I am new to OTA setups, but I would like to believe that I can mount two antenna on the same mast. One on top of the other, facing in opposing directions. Or, use a rotor system, correct?

I was looking at the Winegard 8200u, and am I reading it right, the length of this antenna is 14 feet long. Seems huge for my house.

Z.
Old 3-Jul-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
Electron

The HD7084P antennas are smaller and will work Ok.

The HD7084P antennas can be mounted on the same mast and separated by about 3 feet.

The 2 antenna system is channel surfing friendly.

The one antenna on a antenna rotator , HD8200U or HD7084P , must wait for antenna to rotate.

Last edited by Electron; 3-Jul-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 3-Jul-2012, 11:16 PM   #14
Electron

Receivable North/West Tv stations/channels.

KSBY-DT Real channel 15 - NBC and CW.
KTAS-DT Real channel 34 - Univision.
K16FC-D Real channel 16 - PBS and V-Me.
KPXA-LP Real channel 48 - FOX and the The Country Network.
K50LZ-D Real channel 50 - Telefutura.
KMMA-CD Real channel 41 - Tr'3 spanish language music vedios.

Receivable South/East Tv stations/channels.

KCOY-DT Real channel 19 - CBS and Fox.
KPMR Real channel - 21 Univision.
KKDJ-LP Real channel - 8 Tele Vida Abundate.
KFLA-LD Real channel - 25 Ethnic programing.
KQMM-CD Real channel - 29 Tr'3.
KEYT-DT Real channel 27 - ABC and MyNetwork and Retro Tv Network.
KWSM-LP Real channel 32 - Tele Vida Abundate.
KPXA-LP Real channel 48 - Fox and The Country Network.

Last edited by Electron; 3-Jul-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 3-Jul-2012, 11:37 PM   #15
GroundUrMast

There's agreement here on one of the key points. The signal conditions (weak & obstructed by terrain) call for a large high gain antenna.

I tend to lean toward going after what's there and will likely be there. Given the signal conditions, I would not skimp on antenna gain or directivity. My personal choice would be the Antennas Direct 91XG and a PA-18 preamp. The highly directional 91XG also has a bit more gain than the DB8. The additional directivity of the 91XG translates into better rejection of multipath interference. If any of the programming on the high-VHF channels is of interest, I'd add an Antennacraft Y10713 (see @No static at all's avatar).

Rotate or A/B switch, your choice. Hopefully your tuner(s) allow for manually channel entry or 'add-scan' so you won't need to re-scan for channels every time you turn the antenna or switch from one to the other.

For the foreseeable future, the long elements on the back end of the all channel antennas would be hanging out in the wind, more prone to damage and producing greater stress on a rotator, all for nothing.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jul-2012, 3:00 PM   #16
Zandar

Building Permit required ?!?

I just called the "City" to find out the maximum antenna height, and I was told I could go has high as 30', and in my service district, I can go 10' more for a total of 40'.

But, I had to file a building permit to get permission. Is this normal?

The want to know if I am within set back zones.

Z.
Old 6-Jul-2012, 4:40 PM   #17
GroundUrMast

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...ces-rule#links includes:

Quote:

Q: What types of antennas are covered by the rule?

A: The rule applies to the following types of antennas:

(1) A "dish" antenna that is one meter (39.37") or less in diameter (or any size dish if located in Alaska) and is designed to receive direct broadcast satellite service, including direct-to-home satellite service, or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals via satellite.

(2) An antenna that is one meter or less in diameter or diagonal measurement and is designed to receive video programming services via broadband radio service (wireless cable) or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals other than via satellite.

(3) An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals.

In addition, antennas covered by the rule may be mounted on "masts" to reach the height needed to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal (e.g. maintain line-of-sight contact with the transmitter or view the satellite). Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements for safety purposes. Further, masts that extend beyond an exclusive use area may not be covered by this rule.

Q: Are all restrictions prohibited?

A: No. Clearly-defined, legitimate safety restrictions are permitted even if they impair installation, maintenance or use provided they are necessary to protect public safety and are no more burdensome than necessary to ensure safety. The safety reason for the restriction must be written in the text, preamble or legislative history of the restriction, or in a document that is readily available to antenna users, so that a person who wishes to install an antenna knows what restrictions apply. Safety restrictions cannot discriminate between objects that are comparable in size and weight and pose the same or a similar safety risk as the antenna that is being restricted. Examples of valid safety restrictions include fire codes preventing people from installing antennas on fire escapes; restrictions requiring that a person not place an antenna within a certain distance from a power line; and installation requirements that describe the proper method to secure an antenna.

Restrictions necessary for historic preservation also may be permitted even if they impair installation, maintenance or use of the antenna. To qualify for this exemption, the property may be any prehistoric or historic district, site, building, structure or object included in, or eligible for inclusion on, the National Register of Historic Places. In addition, restrictions necessary for historic preservation must be no more burdensome than necessary to accomplish the historic preservation goal. They also must be imposed and enforced in a non-discriminatory manner, as compared to other modern structures that are comparable in size and weight and to which local regulation would normally apply.

(Emphasis mine)

I understand this to mean that your local building code enforcement agency may require a permit above 12' (above your roofline), but they can't deny one because they 'don't like the look' or some other arbitrary reason. Also, notice that item (3) does not have a size restriction.

On my property, I read the FCC OTARD rule to mean that I can build a tower higher than the surrounding trees and terrain, hundreds of feet if necessary. As I pass 12 feet above my roofline, I may have to play nice with the local building inspector though.

Be sure to read the rest of the FCC information. There are cases that would limit your antenna height, if you live near an airport for example.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 6-Jul-2012 at 4:59 PM. Reason: puncuation, tower example
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jul-2012, 5:28 PM   #18
Zandar

Mast intall

Thanks for the info...

I believe I can run a mast upto 40 feet if I choose, and that makes me nervous about the install, since I have a spanish tile roof, and will need some professional help with the install. The immediate area around my house is cement, and this makes mounting a 40 foot mast more difficult, I would imagine.

I just pulled out the yellow pages, and not readily finding professional help on setting up my mast/antenna.

Any leads for me here, or where to start asking around?

Z.
Old 6-Jul-2012, 8:36 PM   #19
Electron

->ALL<- Questions and Answers about Broadcast Tv Reception and More.

The tvfool report is 15 feet above ground , http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1349e06168ad86.

To have a look at increased signal strength , make 3 more tvfool radar report plots , 25 and 40 and 60 feet.

Even at 15 feet antenna height the Digital Tv Transmissions in the Yellow and Red zones of the tvfool radar plot report are receivable.

Last edited by Electron; 6-Jul-2012 at 8:45 PM.
Old 6-Jul-2012, 8:50 PM   #20
Electron

->ALL<- Questions and Answers about Broadcast Tv Reception and More.

Here are antenna mounts that go higher.

http://www.ronard.com/Tripods%200703/4712.html.

http://www.palcoelectronics.com/pe300.aspx.