TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Jul-2010, 8:41 PM   #1
Zeusdidit

Trying to pick an antenna

I've been trying pick an antenna and I'm not sure I know what I really need. Here's my info from TVFool:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbeaf925c81c3

I'm planning on mounting it on the roof/chimney of our ranch. We have a pretty clear shot to the WNW with some taller trees 200' to the WSW. Among my internet reading I came across the Winegard HD7694P antenna which got pretty good reviews. Basically, is this antenna right? too much? or not enough?

thanks in advance.
Zeusdidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jul-2010, 1:48 AM   #2
Billiam

That antenna should be fine for everything in the Green and Yellow on your report. If you require reception of the stations in the red, you will need a deep fringe antenna.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jul-2010, 1:00 PM   #3
Dave Loudin

That antenna should work just fine. Since you're mounting up on the roof, your antenna height will be more like 20 feet instead of 10. Rerunning your report with the anticipated antenna height will probably show improved results for the Youngstown stations.

Since you have Cleveland and Youngstown stations virtually 180 degrees apart, you might consider aiming the antenna towards Youngstown first. You have a lot of margin to give (except, perhaps, with WOIO) with the Cleveland stations. Even with an actual gain of -10 dB or so in the back lobe, you should still be able to get a solid lock on them.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jul-2010, 4:14 PM   #4
Zeusdidit

Thanks. Now I just need to wait for it too cool down before I do any work outside.
Zeusdidit is offline   Reply With Quote