TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Oct-2011, 6:29 PM   #1
Harvmeister

Yet Another Newbie Who Needs an Antenna

Hi, all!

Like alot of us, I'm looking to ditch my cable and go for th OTA signal. Here is my signal report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60b5fc7cfd2e4b

I mostly need the stations to my West (South bend) but also gotta have the Michigan stations to my North (Kalamazoo). I also wouild like to put the antenna in my asphalt shingled attic if possible and would really like to avoid using a rotor since we flip back and forth between to 2 constantly.

Any help with this will be very much appreciated. TVFool is Very Cool!
Harvmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2011, 3:03 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

How many tv's are/will be connected??
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Oct-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Harvmeister

Just 1 TV at the moment a (Sony CRT w/ a converter), but I'll probably add a second set in the future when I get a new flatscreen and move the oldie to the bedroom.
Harvmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Oct-2011, 3:07 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Attic mounting may work well (depending on the construction of the roof and snow accumulation in the cold months) when going after the South Bend signals. The Kalamazoo signals are going to be more of a challenge.

The most reliable option would be to mount high, in the clear.

For South Bend signals, a 4-bay panel antenna facing 253° would give you reliable reception of the SB signals in the green and yellow section of your report. You could improve the reliability of WEID and WMYS (in the red) by going with an 8-bay panel. Antennacraft U4000 & U8000 and Antennas Direct DB-4 & DB-8 are examples. If you are going to try in the attic, go with the larger 8-bay.

Kalamazoo signals are quite weak. An antennas Direct XG-91 and a Winegard YA-1713 with a CM-7777 preamplifier roof or tower mounted would be needed.

Combining the signals from the antenna systems is generally beyond the budget and technical ability of most consumers. An A/B switch or second set-top-box tuner/converter is more practical.

If you have an interest in HTPC technology, take a look at this thread, http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820. It's an alternative idea regarding multiple antenna situations.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 20-Oct-2011 at 3:27 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote