TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Sep-2013, 9:01 PM   #1
theyeti

Best Multi-directional UHF/VHF Antenna

Hey everybody, new to the forum. I recently put up an antenna (a Terrestrial DB8 to be exact). Also, I hooked up a Winegard Signal Amplifier. Without the amp I was pulling in 8 channels, with I got 23. I live about 50 miles SE of Cincinnati. I got every channel I was wanting except for Channel 12 WKRC. Come to find out they still use VHF Channel 12.1. From your experience (at long-range) what is the best multi-directional UHF/VHF Antenna? I loved how easy the DB8 was, just a shame WKRC uses VHF. Thanks
theyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Please post your TVFool plot so that signals may be estimated.

First thing, rotate the DB8 180 degrees and recheck channel 12. Report results (don't care about the rest of the stations for this particular test).

Also, identify the specific WG amplifier and describe the mounting location and cabling arrangement.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
theyeti

Don't know much bout plot but my zip is 45693. I turned it that easy and still no 12.1. I used the AP8275 amp.
Old 28-Sep-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
theyeti

On roof pointing West. Amp mounted under antenna. Using 7 ft mast strapped chimney two stories up. Grounded into water line at entrance to basement.
Old 29-Sep-2013, 6:54 AM   #5
StephanieS

theyeti,

This is the plot ADTech was referencing:

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

We can be a lot more help to you if you fill it it out then provide us a link to it. Without it, we're just taking blind shots in the dark.

Thanks.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
theyeti

Ok, thank you. Here it is... http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae369be8306c .

I was getting 43, 17, 21, 22, 35, 34 (each of those 2 to 3 channels a piece), as well as a couple other channels like QVC and Ion.

Thanks again.
Old 29-Sep-2013, 7:35 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

The 'classic' Antennas Direct DB8 is an excellent UHF antenna. It's a top contender for reception of real channels 14 and up. Your existing reception results confirm that.

I would add a second antenna, an Antennacraft Y10713 pointed toward Cincinnati. Consider replacing the AP-8275 with an RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp which has separate inputs for the existing UHF antenna and the new High-VHF antenna. The RCA preamp will also be less prone to overloading, though that may not be a critical factor in your situation... most of the signal are not strong enough to cause overloading.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
theyeti

I already sent the DB8 back to Amazon. Looking for one that does both (UHF/VHF). Also, I got the AP8275 because right in my antenna's line of sight to the West are three trees (two pines and a maple). I want something that can blow right through them.

Here is the antenna I am thinking about getting:
http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc...am+5+UHF%2FVHF
Old 30-Sep-2013, 1:34 AM   #9
GroundUrMast

I own several Antennas Direct antennas and accessories. I'm pleased and impressed with them all. That said, the C2V has less gain than needed in your situation.

If starting from scratch, an appropriate H-VHF/UHF combination antenna would be the Winegard HD7698P. If you still have the AP8275, try it... If it overloads, replace it with the TVPRAMP1R.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Sep-2013, 1:41 AM   #10
theyeti

Yeah I still have the AP8275. Do you need a rotor with the Winegard HD7698P or would I just have to point it NW towards Cincinnati? One thing I really liked about the DB8 was all I had to do was face it towards Cincinnati and it worked. I want something with hardly any configuring, short and simple. What about this one?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/antennas...07#tab=reviews
Old 30-Sep-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Okay, you need to SLOW DOWN and quit wasting your time and money by making impetuous,impulsive, and uninformed decisions.

Quote:
I already sent the DB8 back to Amazon.
Sigh.......

Based on your location, your general requirements are a 1) Deep fringe UHF, 2) Deep fringe high-VHF, 3) capable preamplifier.

For the antenna, you can choose a single, large antenna that handles items 1 & 2 in a single unit. It's already been suggested (7698)> It is also 14' long.

Alternatively, you can go with separate antennas, one for each requirement. That means that a UHF antenna such as the DB8 is a good choice for UHF but you must add, as already suggested, a high-VHF antenna such as the 10-element Winegard. You could also add the ClearStream 5 for high-VHF. You cannot expect the C5 to serve as a single antenna as your location's requirements are too severe on the UHF side.

Quote:
Also, I got the AP8275 because right in my antenna's line of sight to the West are three trees (two pines and a maple). I want something that can blow right through them.
That's an unrealistic expectation. Amplifiers cannot correct for tree-caused reception issues, only a chainsaw will actually do that

The 8275 is a capable enough amp for this location. Use it, there s no risk of overload.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Sep-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
theyeti

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it!
Old 30-Sep-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
theyeti

I do get over anxious... But needed something quick to serve both purposes. I will just go with the Winegard that was suggested.
Old 5-Oct-2013, 1:42 AM   #14
theyeti

Hooked up the Winegard and picked up 35 channels! Pointed the antenna NW and pulled in everything from Cincinnati, plus everything from Lexington! Thanks again guys.