TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Feb-2011, 6:25 PM   #1
tdeim2

advice

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e07c0088048994

Hi, Im sick of cable and will cancel it next month. It seems like there are a lot of experts on this formum, so rather than trying to learn what you know I thought Id just seek advice.. Im looking for an antenna recommendation. A link to my report is above. Not interested in a particular station, just as many of the networks as possible. My plan is to first try it in the attic with a self install - my house is wired and the main cable from outside goes through the attic so I was planning on just splicing into it. HAve an outlet up there as well so a preamp would be easy.

If that doesnt do the trick, Ill find someone to install it on the roof.

Thanks for any advice
tdeim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Feb-2011, 6:57 PM   #2
tdeim2

P.S.
House is 2 stories. Wood frame/particle board/Tyvek with vinyl sides. The attic is a steep A-frame so the antennae would have asphalt shingles to either side. The axis of the frame (i.e. the direction that doesnt go through shingles) is NNW - SSE. There would be some metal ducting near to the antennae.
Thanks for any advice
Old 12-Feb-2011, 7:43 PM   #3
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

The channels in green are all very strong and are LOS= Line of sight -->Strong . The channels in yellow are a little less strong then the ones in green. I suggest a SIMPLE Indoor NON Amplified Tv Antenna for Digital Tv Reception , one of these , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233 . Read and understand this about Real Digital Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Tv Channels , Analog Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 , Here is how to point Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html . . Set the Digital Tv to scan for Digital Broadcast Television Channels , Not cable channels.

Last edited by John Candle; 12-Feb-2011 at 11:49 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Feb-2011, 8:12 PM   #4
John Candle

The SIMPLE indoor NON Amplified 2 rods types of antennas are 2 directional. With your situation , one side of the SIMPLE NON Amplified 2 directional indoor antenna is directed at 109 magnetic compass and the other side is directed at 304 magnetic compass. This will get you the groups of station to the north west , west and south east.

Last edited by John Candle; 12-Feb-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-Feb-2011, 8:26 PM   #5
tdeim2

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like my new plan is to try one of those 3 first (probably the Terk) and if that works I'm happy and done. Ill post the results when its hooked up.
Old 13-Feb-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
tdeim2

So turns out my wife is not happy with the idea of the cheap simple indoor antennae sullying up her living room. Don't quite get it but not one to argue. Any recommendations for what to put in the attic?
Thanks
Old 13-Feb-2011, 6:27 PM   #7
John Candle

In the attic a ANT751 pointed at about 203 magnetic compass.
Old 13-Feb-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
tdeim2

Thanks a bunch for your help - I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 13-Feb-2011, 11:44 PM   #9
Dave Loudin

You might need to tweak the aim. John's suggestion splits the difference between the two major groups of stations (146 and 275 degrees.) Use your report to choose what you want if you have to.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote