TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Feb-2010, 7:21 PM   #1
lfthorn

Question Another one needing help

I know nothing about antennas and many of the terms used on this forum are confusing to me as well. My analysis is : http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...27ee3c12220487. I have a "box" attached to my older tv, but can only receive a few channels. Is it possible to purchase a different antenna and at least receive the major network channels? Thanks!
lfthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Feb-2010, 8:33 PM   #2
mtownsend

Hello and welcome!

Yes, there are many broadcast channels available in your area, but most of them are too far away to be picked up with an indoor antenna. You will need to install an antenna on your roof to get all the major network channels.

If this sounds acceptable to you, then let us know, and we can help you with antenna selection and installation hints/tips/recommendations.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Feb-2010, 9:42 PM   #3
lfthorn

open to suggestions

Thanks for your reply and I would welcome any recommendations on antennas and installation tips/help.

Thanks!
Old 11-Feb-2010, 3:44 PM   #4
mtownsend

I think the best setup for your situation is a Winegard HD7698P or Antennacraft HBU-55 on your roof. Both of these antennas are designed for receiving channels 7-69 (high VHF plus UHF), which is all that you need because there are no channels in your area on channels 2-6 (low VHF). These antennas are very long, so I highly recommend having a friend or two over to help install it. The extra hands can be very helpful.

A mast-mounted pre-amp is also highly recommended due to the distance / signal strength of your channels. When choosing a pre-amp, it is very important to find one with a very low Noise Figure rating (should be 3.0 dB or less). Pre-amps that are known to work well include the Channel Master 7777, Winegard 8275, and Antennacraft 10G202.

In order to hold a mast on the roof, I recommend one of the following, depending on what works best for your home:

1) Chimney mount, like the Channel Master 9067. Uses stainless steel straps to wrap around a chimney, if you have a suitable one. Does not require drilling holes in anything.

2) Wall or eave mount, like the Channel Master 9023 or 9030. Mounts to the side of an A-frame roof (eave mount) or any available wall near the roof level. A few screws go into the side of the house, which avoids drilling holes into the roofing material (less risk of leaks).

3) Tripod, like the Channel Master 3092. Bolts directly on the roof (usually somewhere along the peak of an A-frame roof or on a flat roof). Very sturdy, but does require putting bolts through the roof.

All of these mounts are designed to hold a vertical mast. The mast can be any kind of pipe up to 1.5 inches in diameter. Many places sell TV masts that are 1.25" diameter pipes in 5 foot and 10 foot lengths. The antennas are designed to clamp onto masts like this.

Ideally, you want to use a mast that keeps the antenna at least 4 feet above the roof. This minimizes any interaction between the antenna and the building materials. Depending on your mast mount type, a 5 or 10 foot mast is usually enough to achieve this.

In order to minimize the stress on the mount from wind / snow / ice / bird forces, it's best to keep the mast as short as possible. Don't go any higher than necessary. This will minimize movement of the antenna, reduce stress on the mounting hardware, and improve the longevity of the setup.

All the connections between components should use RG6 cable. Any connection points that are exposed to the elements should be weather-proofed to make sure no moisture can get into the cable or connectors.

Take your time. Plan things out. It helps to understand as much as possible before you begin (e.g., what is the function of each piece, why certain choices were made, and how to install each component). If there's anything you're not sure about, don't hesitate to ask questions.

This post contains a lot of information to get you started. If you need additional details about anything, just ask.

Last edited by mtownsend; 11-Feb-2010 at 3:50 PM.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Feb-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
lfthorn

thank you

Thank you for all your suggestions. Sounds like I might have to hire someone as this is way beyond me. But at least I'm armed with some antenna suggestions as well as advice for whomever does the job.

Thanks.