TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Sep-2011, 2:15 AM   #1
kevinmathewson

Single channel causing problems with TV (aka Problem in Peoria)

I have an issue with one channel (actually two if you count the subchannel). It is the NBC channel (25.1 and 25.2). When I switch to the station it stays on the tv-good picture and sound-for about 5-10 sec and then the picture completely drops, leaving sound for another 15-20 seconds. At that point my tv is completely unresponsive and requires me to shut it off and when it comes back on try to change the channel in the first few seconds that NBC is on. Sometimes while the audio is still on I can change the channel (although no picture comes up on the newly selected channel) so when I turn off and on the tv I am on the new channel. This only occurs with that specific channel. All other stations (ABC, CBS, FOX & PBS) work just fine. Could the channel be causing a problem or is something wrong with the tv for the 25.x range of stations?

I have a Sony Bravia (3.5 yrs old) with a RCA flat antenna from Wal-Mart sitting on top of the entertainment center. I live less than 8 miles from the tower. I believe the FOX tower is the farthest away (~25 miles) and the signal is fine.

It's the only HDTV I have so I can't really troubleshoot it by swapping out with a different one.

Here's the report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60b5b51f42da1e

I'm perplexed. Anybody have any suggestions or have seen anything like this before?

Thanks.
kevinmathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-2011, 3:50 AM   #2
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmathewson View Post

I have a Sony Bravia (3.5 yrs old) with a RCA flat antenna from Wal-Mart sitting on top of the entertainment center. I live less than 8 miles from the tower. I believe the FOX tower is the farthest away (~25 miles) and the signal is fine.

I'm perplexed. Anybody have any suggestions or have seen anything like this before?

Thanks.
It would be helpful if you gave your specific model Sony Bravia. We could then locate the documentation for your TV online and study it for clues to your problem. If your computer has an Ethernet and/or a USB port, then its firmware may be upgradable.

Two questions:
  1. When did your problem first occur?
  2. Under what circumstances did it occur?
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-2011, 3:54 AM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Is this a , house , condo , apt. , mobile home , motor home or etc.??
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
kevinmathewson

Sony Bravia KDL-32M3000

About 6 months ago we dropped cable and went with an antenna for network channels. That channel has caused problems right from the switch. Never had any problems with any of the channels while hooked to cable and have never had any problems with any of the OTA channels other than this one.

We live in a house (built in the 50s). The TV is upstairs in our living room.

Last edited by kevinmathewson; 26-Sep-2011 at 1:50 PM. Reason: Fix a typo
kevinmathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Sep-2011, 1:22 AM   #5
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmathewson View Post
Sony Bravia KDL-32M3000

About 6 months ago we dropped cable and went with an antenna for network channels. That channel has caused problems right from the switch. Never had any problems with any of the channels while hooked to cable and have never had any problems with any of the OTA channels other than this one.

I located your TV on Sony's website. Two quick observations:
  1. Your TV does not have upgradeable firmware.
  2. The 32" BRAVIA 32M Series received lackluster to poor reviews from the owners who posted reviews on Sony's website.
I currently own a 40" Sony LCD TV whose ATSC tuner out-of-the-box freezes if the ambient temperature rises above 72 °F. My guess is that thermal expansion opens a circuit in the ATSC tuner module when the TV warms up. It is only my most recent but problematic Sony. Before totally giving up on Sony, I would reset the TV to factory specs and then redo the setup. Be sure not to apply any channel lock-outs.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Dec-2011, 12:21 AM   #6
Edharris

Thumbs up Me too!!!

I have the exact issue you have or had. This week I thought my 4 year old Sharp 32 inch LCD died. So, I bought a new Sony 32bx420 today. Well, I programmed the Sony to pick up the OTA channels and used the remote to change channels. All went well until I hit 25.1 (a fact I did not realize was connected to 25.1 until calling Sony). What happened with both TV's was That the units froze on 25.1; the remote and physical buttons on the TV failed to respond to my touch. In fact, the only way to power off the TV was to unplug it.

Anyhow, detaching the antenna temporarily fixed the issue on the Sony, at least until you go to 25.1 again. And, Sony support says this issue started a few months ago affecting their TVs of all types.

When I Googled the issue, I saw your post here. Then, I made the full connection in my mind and went to my old Sharp which all efforts had failed to revive. Well, all I did this time was detach the antenna, turn on the TV, switch from 25.1 to another channel, and voila -- like Lazarus, the TV sprang to life.

So, your experience has helped me. Meanwhile, any resolution on your end?

BTW a few others online report the issue with various brands of TV in San Diego and Colorado.

Last edited by Edharris; 11-Dec-2011 at 3:51 PM. Reason: Typo and new info
Edharris is offline   Reply With Quote