TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Sep-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
mart-e

Northern Michigan antenna help

Hi everyone,

We live in northern Michigan and would like to install an OTA antenna to receive the 4 major networks and PBS.

Here is our signal analysis:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aeb145d8a4c1

Our desire would be to install it in our second story attic, but am aware of the challenges.

If you happen to have any thoughts, we are very interested in learning about our options. With all the options available, we are a bit overwhelmed.

Thank you all for your assistance,

Marty
mart-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Sep-2013, 8:31 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

This one is a bit of a challenge...

You need to decide between ease of install and low cost, versus ease of use. A single antenna can give you a good shot at all the stations you've specified, but it would need to be rotated. That can be a challenge in a home with two or more TV's (Who wins the debate over which way the antenna is aimed?). Another problem with a rotator is that some TV tuners must be fully 're-scanned' to learn what channels are available each time you re-aim the antena. That can take several minutes each time... What if your aim is off and you have to scan again?

If you have only one TV, and your TV can 'add-scan' without forgetting channels learned during previous scans, a single antenna and rotator may work well for you. In this case consider the Winegard HD7698P, an RCA TVPRAMP1R preamplifier and a Channel Master CM-9621A rotator. If you have two TV's and they both can 'add-scan', you could consider a separate antenna system for each, thus giving each viewer control of 'their' antenna aim. I would skip mounting in the attic, the signals are too weak to expect an attic install to succeed. You'll need to consider mounting outside, clear of obstructions such as trees or buildings. A roof top install is in order.

If you want to avoid the inconvenience of a rotator, you'll need to install several antennas. The advantage would be that this type of system can serve many TVs and no one needs to wait for a rotator to finish turning when changing channels.

A premium system option would be as follows:

Point an Antennacraft Y10713 at 44° per a real compass. This antenna will give you WGTQ on real CH-8 and WWUP on real CH-10. Equip this antenna with an Antennas Direct PA-18 preamplifier

The remaining signals are UHF and spread widely. You'll need at least two UHF antennas and possibly three. To start with, use two Antennas Direct 91XG UHF antennas, one pointed at 59° and the other at 124°. Equip each with an Antennas Direct PA-18 preamplifier. There is a good chance one of the two antennas will get a reliable signal from WFUP even though it's not aimed that direction. If neither UHF antenna produced a reliable WFUP, an Antennas Direct dB4e would be needed, facing 172°.

All three (or four) antennas would have separate down-leads running to grounding blocks then into the house where they can be combined into a single cable for splitting to feed TVs. There are a few options here... I'll describe them in detail and post a connection diagram if you like. Essentially it would require a combination of an inexpensive UVSJ and a couple of custom built AC7 antenna combiner filters from tinlee.com This would also need a couple of 10' masts or a single mast tall enough to accommodate three or four antennas spaced at least three feet from one another.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 2-Sep-2013 at 8:34 AM. Reason: sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Sep-2013, 6:18 PM   #3
teleview

The tvfool report shows the antenna height above ground at 10 feet.

To see how much signal strengths improve with heigher antnna heights above ground.

Please make 2 more tvfool radar reports , 25 and 40 feet above ground.

Do not delete the 10 foot redar report.
Old 4-Sep-2013, 2:39 AM   #4
mart-e

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I guess I have a lot of options to ponder. I think I am leaning toward the multi-antenna setup at this time.

Do you happen to have any recommendations for a tower supplier? Since my home and shop building are close to trees, I feel it would be best to get the antennas into the open. Also, what is the allowable distance to mount the antenna away from the preamps and televisions?

Thanks again for your input. Your assistance is greatly appreciated,

Marty
Old 4-Sep-2013, 4:21 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Check with http://www.3starinc.com/ for Rohn towers. They offer commercial grade self supporting and guyed options. Then there are also consumer grade 'push-up' types to consider.

Cable loss varies with frequency. Presuming RG-6/U coax, the VHF signals on real CH-8 & CH-10 & 13 can be pushed 500' by the PA-18 preamp. UHF channels would only make it about 250' before needing to add another amplifier. If you have very long runs of cable, we can help you figure out how to get the signal from the antenna to the TV(s).

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Sep-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
mart-e

Thank you for your reply teleview.

Here are the reports:

10' - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aeb145d8a4c1

25' - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae7981b3636d

40' - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae54de4c97c9

Our house sits more or less in a valley with hills to the west, south and east of us and trees to the north. Unfortunately, my only real clear view is up.

Thanks again for your thoughts,

Marty