TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Dec-2009, 2:28 AM   #1
butchyday

reception help

i recently bought a "quantum fx ant-105" have it about 30+ feet and only get limited pbs channels. what can i do? does the ant need to be at certain heights like the old analog antennas? if i remember correctly intervals of 7 foot. i have a few stations within 60 to 70 miles i'd like to get. any advice would be great.
butchyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Dec-2009, 6:44 AM   #2
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchyday View Post
i recently bought a "quantum fx ant-105" have it about 30+ feet and only get limited pbs channels. what can i do?
Based on some pictures found on the web, this antenna does not appear to be a very sensitive one. If I had to guess, I'd say that this antenna is probably only good for UHF stations within 25 miles. VHF performance may be even more limited or non-existent.

If you could generate a TV Fool signal analysis for your exact location and post the link here, it would help us determine whether or not this antenna is appropriate for your situation or not.

Quote:
does the ant need to be at certain heights like the old analog antennas? if i remember correctly intervals of 7 foot. i have a few stations within 60 to 70 miles i'd like to get. any advice would be great.
There is no "magic" height for antennas. It is true that some channels will get stronger or weaker at varying heights under the right circumstances (signal reflections off the ground and other objects). However, this effect varies with the wavelength of the channel. What works well on one channel might make things worse on another.

In most situations, the effect is small and can usually be ignored. If you have a specific problem channel that cannot be fixed in any other way, then it might be worth experimenting with changes in antenna height.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Dec-2009, 4:03 PM   #3
butchyday

link to channels

http://www.tvfool.com/modeling/tmp/c.../Radar-All.png
butchyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Dec-2009, 8:07 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchyday View Post
Your signals are marginal. A generic zip code report isn't good enough. Try one with your exact address.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote