TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Feb-2013, 4:33 PM   #1
Dallasgirl

Help with Dallas reception please

Hi everyone! I ditched directv and need an antenna for local channels. I still have the HD dish and arm available on the roof. Can some kind soul help me choose the right antenna? More interested in roof style I suppose.

Thanks!
Jill

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddab7f3e366e5
Dallasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2013, 4:45 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The Winegard HD7000 and it's larger peers, the HD7010 & 7015 will give you excellent coverage of the many OTA signals available to you.

You can reuse the coax, provided it's ends have not been disconnected and left open to the weather. (Once water has entered the coax, it's trash.) The mounting pole is very likely a good location. Most are located on the south side of the home, which is ideal in your situation, the antenna will do best if it has a clear view to the south west, the direction it should point.

If you reuse the satellite system cable, be sure to remove satellite system parts such as diplexers, matrix-switches and amplifiers. Some of those parts may look like common OTA/cable splitters but may not pass OTA TV frequencies.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 4-Feb-2013 at 4:52 PM. Reason: grammar
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2013, 5:58 PM   #3
Dallasgirl

Thank you for the reply. Will this be sufficient should I split 4 ways?
I have been looking at the 7694 or the 7698. I just want to make sure I get it right the first time.
The dish and connections have not been touched yet. The arm is probably like 3 ft held with some guy wires. Think this is sufficient or should I get a tripod style and more like a 10ft pole? This is a 1 story flatish roofline.

Thank you!!
Old 4-Feb-2013, 6:33 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

The 7694 is a great option, and in your case you would easily drive a 4-way splitter or even an 8-way. The only downside to the 7694 is that it lacks support for real channel 2 through 6. There are a couple of signals listed, though I may not be interested in the content currently broadcast, that could change 'with the stoke of a pen'.

The 7698 would also provide reliable reception, but even though I lean toward over-built recommendations, the 7698 seems much larger than needed in your case. (It too, lacks support for CH-2 through 6)

I'm still quite confident the smaller HD7000 is going to be able to drive a 4-way splitter. But the next steps up, the 7010 & 7015 add yet more signal to spare.

If you keep the antenna size reasonable, the 3' J-pole will do very well, especially with the guy-wires installed.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 4-Feb-2013 at 6:33 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 4-Feb-2013, 6:35 PM   #5
elmo

Wow, what a nice looking signal. An relatively nearby and stacked up in the same direction. There's a lot of channels there and I don't see any adjacent or overlap warnings either. Do follow up on how many you get. With the subchannels available in HD broadcasts, your thumb should get a decent workout.

GroundUrMast made some good recommendations as he sees you have an available range of stations across the entire VHF & UHF spectrum, all the way down to VHF 2, which is as low as it goes. So make sure anything you get doesn't cut you short on reception. Not all antennas tune the entire range as well. The Winegard 769x series are good in most cases, but it's not the best for yours as they don't excel at VHF Lo.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2013, 7:36 PM   #6
Dallasgirl

With the information at hand would the larger 7015 be too much for my "j-pole" to handle? Also would it be too directional? I obviously want the strongest signal without over kill.

I need to get something going because I am tired of watching roku reruns of Dangerous Catch!

Thanks again for your suggestions!!

Jill
Old 4-Feb-2013, 7:52 PM   #7
teleview

The Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels are Strong signal strength at your location.

A Winegard HD7000R antenna will easy receive the Tv stations.

I recommend install the Winegard HD7000R antenna above the high point of the roof.

Aim the HD7000R antenna at about 235 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

http://www.ronard.909911.html , if using the tripod antenna mount use the 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/34454560.html , if using the eave antenna mount use the #4560.

http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html.

http://www.ronard.com.

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box or buy from ronard.

A Winegard DS3000 , J pole type antenna mount will also work for mounting the - light weight -HD7000R antenna above the high point of the roof.

The DS3000 , J pole type antenna mount will not work for Big heavy antennas.

As always , trees and tree leaves do a good job of , reflecting , reducing , blocking , Digital Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

It is best to install the HD7000R antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception in the direction of reception including your own house.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA = Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the , 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital tv's will automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv setup menu and select , 'Air Channels' / 'Antenna Channels'.

No preamplifier or distribution amplifier is required.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a simple common 3 way splitter.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com.

Last edited by teleview; 6-Feb-2013 at 4:23 PM.
Old 4-Feb-2013, 8:03 PM   #8
elmo

You'll be fine w/the antenna on it. Those dishes are pretty hefty in comparison, plus I'd *guess* that they catch more wind load than an avg antenna. I removed an oval DTV dish and it felt like 15 lbs if I had to guess. The 7015 is rated at 7 lbs.

As for directional, I can't see that being an issue. Directional is what you want, as you'll likely aim SW at 215 deg magnetic.

I just saw your question on the pre-amp...and GroundUrMast likely has a good recommendation on that. You may need one. Regardless, my frugal plan would be to attach the antenna w/o an amp, to my best TV first, as direct as possible (ie - not using the 4 way splitter). Then I'd scan and note all my channels, plus sample some signal strengths of them. Then I'd connect the others and see if they all pull the same channels, making sure the first tv still pulls the sampled channels, comparing the signal strengths again. That will show the losses for distribution. If you're good, order up some crab cakes and enjoy some new shows! If you find channels dropping out, then time to order up some variety of amp, which is easily inserted prior to the splitter.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2013, 8:57 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

I'd really like to assure you that you have a very simple, straight forward... easy situation. You don't need to go big to get good results. So long as you are not blocked by dense trees or neighboring buildings, the 7000 is plenty. If you want to over-build, the 7015 will work well on a guyed J-pole.

I see no reason to consider a preamp or distribution amplifier. The signal power in the air would likely overload an amplifier which would interfere with reliable reception.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
Old 4-Feb-2013, 9:36 PM   #10
Dallasgirl

I will go ahead and get the HD7000. I do have trees but I figure if the dish worked ok so will an antenna.
Thank you for the additional information on setting up the channels as well as aiming and amp information.

Thanks again for all your help.
I will report back with the results.

Jill
Old 4-Feb-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
GroundUrMast

Please consider that the satellite dish was aimed up, at a satellite, not at the horizon were you'll be aiming the TV antenna. Think in terms of aiming a camera or telescope. If the TV antenna has to aim through a tree, it may pay to go up in size one or two steps.
Old 5-Feb-2013, 1:30 AM   #12
teleview

The satellite dish is aimed up at the sky , 22,000 miles above the equator at the satellites.

The satellite dishes are always installed at a location that has nothing blocking the view of the satellites above the equator.

As long as there is a unobstructed view of the satellites above the equator , the dish can even be mounted just above the ground.

Broadcast Tv antennas are aimed at transmitter towers that are installed on the ground or on buildings , so the Broadcast Tv antenna is not aimed up at the sky above the equator.

The Broadcast Tv antenna is aimed at the transmitting tower.

Last edited by teleview; 5-Feb-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 6-Feb-2013, 3:11 PM   #13
Dallasgirl

OK so point taken on satellite dish broadcasting. DUH...hence GPS!
So...with line of site perhaps a bit obstructed due to trees the HD7015 is a good choice?

Jill
Old 6-Feb-2013, 3:29 PM   #14
teleview

If you will like to install a bigger antenna , install a Heavy Duty Long Lasting outdoor antenna , install a Winegard HD7082P antenna.
Old 6-Feb-2013, 9:38 PM   #15
GroundUrMast

How many and what type of trees must you aim through?
Old 7-Feb-2013, 5:07 PM   #16
Dallasgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
How many and what type of trees must you aim through?
I looked and it seems the dish is situated between two large oak trees but there is a smaller Crepe Myrtle in the path but it is at least 50 ft away if not more.
Obviously I want the best bang for the buck with the ability to use my dish arm if possible. Longivity would not hurt either.

Thanks so much for the help!

Jill
Old 7-Feb-2013, 6:11 PM   #17
GroundUrMast

I think the 7000 would do fine, the 7015 would be plenty of insurance.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
Old 8-Feb-2013, 1:10 PM   #18
teleview

If you will like to use a Bigger Antenna.

Then use the Strong and Sturdy and Heavy Duty , Long Lasting , Winegard HD7082P antenna.

If you choose to install the HD7082P antenna , Do Not use the DS3000 J pole antenna mount , it is not enough mount to hold the HD7082P antenna.

Use one of the ronard antenna mounts I have listed.
Old 2-Mar-2013, 2:16 AM   #19
Dallasgirl

Well I finally was able to order the HD7015. It was delivered today. WOW is it big! A whopping 7ft long. The instructions say the pole needs to be 2x the length of the antenna making it 14ft tall. I am wanting to use the J pole already intact. What length would be a safe length for a pole? I think diameter of the J pole is about 2 inches. I had planned to some how put a pole inside the j pole but now thinking more like just mounting on the J pole mount. It is about 3ft long.
Thoughts?

Jill