TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Feb-2011, 8:53 PM   #1
rxr133

Help with antenna(e) choice for Barrhaven (Ottawa S)

Hi Guys,

I would like some help with antenna choice. Here is my report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4a05712a0ac

I have done a preliminary test with an indoor antenna in a basement window and I am able to get up to Channel 20.

My plan is to mount a Winegard HD8800 on a 25 foot pole pointed at CH 23 (virtual 23) and CH 18. I also plan to use a CM7777 preamp. Later when local channels 6 and 13 go digital I will get a VHF antenna and point it north at that tower.

Does this plan sound reasonable? The nearby transmitter for channel 17 is in the same direction as 23 & 18. Will the signal be too strong from this transmitter or is this not relevant?

Thanks for any advice
rxr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2011, 9:06 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

You are in an area rich with signals. The CM7777 is a fine amplifier but will quite likely be overloaded. Even amplifiers such as the Antennacraft 10G221 or Winegard HDP-269 may have problems with overload despite being designed for higher level input. For local reception, you simply do not need an amplifier... it will cause trouble and provide no enhancement to signal quality.

It looks as if you are very interested in receiving WNPI (PBS). I won't say it's impossible, but it will be a challenge. If you have not purchased an antenna yet, I would suggest the Antennas Direct 91XG. Don't be surprised if you need the aid of a commercial quality single channel cavity filter ahead of whatever amplifier you choose. If you do employ such a filter, the output will be limited to a single channel. If you were to pursue such a design, an Antennas Direct CPA-19 is an excellent low noise amplifier.

WNYF, real CH 18, is going to be an extreme challenge. I do not see the source of co-channel interference listed on your TVF report but the adjacent channel interference from CITY, real CH 17, is going to be like trying to view stars in a telescope aimed a few degrees away from the sun at high noon.

It looks as if CJOH will remain on VHF 13. I doubt that CIII will remain on VHF 6 but I say that only based on the technical motive to abandon the low-VHF band due to the higher noise present there. The folks at http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/ will be better informed regarding the analog to digital transition in Canada.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 7-Feb-2011 at 9:39 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Feb-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Here is inflammation I gave to a Canada question asker. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1242 For your location I recommend a Ant751 antenna pointed at 348 magnetic compass. You are saying that the Tv is located in the Basement??
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Feb-2011, 1:12 AM   #4
rxr133

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, one TV in the basement and one on the ground floor. The indoor antenna works up to CH 20 as long as it is in a window.From your response, I take it you don`t feel it is worth trying for WNPI?

I read your other thread. Regarding Netflix, we have it but the choice of shows available to Canada is restricted. Similarly, Apple TV does not allow us to rent TV shows, only to purchase them. Adding to this problem is that our ISPs are more restrictive in monthly download quotas, with overages running at $2 - $2.50 per Gig.
Old 8-Feb-2011, 2:12 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

I try not to tell others that it is or is not "worth it", that is a personal choice. Instead I try to share what I know and in many cases, my 'gut feeling'. Yours is an example where my gut says you could spend hundreds of dollars and get to see PBS... or, not see PBS.

Some folks would try as hobbyists, having no regrets if they succeeded or if they failed, others would need an absolute guaranty of success...

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Feb-2011, 2:30 AM   #6
rxr133

It would not be the end of the world if we didn`t get PBS but it would be a bit of a waste if we ended up with something that was too weak for PBS but overloaded for local reception.

The funny thing is that I grew up in the same area and 30 years ago we were able to get the analog signal of that same channel using a loop antenna on the TV. We were also able to pick up Ch. 7 WWNY using rabbit ears.

These are all good points and food for thought. Thanks again for your expertise.
Old 8-Feb-2011, 3:50 AM   #7
John Candle

Of these television situations and other situations that are happening in Canada , Canada is less and less friendly each day , it scares me. The government can not block the FTA satellite transmissions and can not stop canadians form watching , or maybe the government will do home searches. At the http://www.digitalhome.ca , in the forum is section for -- I hate the CRTC , the posters give detailed accounts of what is happening with Tv , radio , internet , cell phones. Here is information about F.T.A. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=265

Last edited by John Candle; 9-Feb-2011 at 5:38 AM.
Old 9-Feb-2011, 1:30 AM   #8
John Candle

You can give WNPI , WNYF , WWNY a shot but I can not say you will get reception. Digital broadcast television transmissions Use Less Power to Transmit the Same Distance as Analog television transmissions. So the lack of American Digital broadcast television stations extending the transmissions into Canada is not because of some problem digital. The lack of American Digital broadcast television extending as far as the old Analog Tv transmissions is other reasons , I would look at the CRTC and Canada Government and some Big Business and Special Interest Investor Groups inside and outside of Canada. And the Canadian Heritage Committee , http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/1544/125 , So you ask , what does a Heritage Committee have to do with you receiving television in canada and having any control of what you receive , watch and listen to?? The answers will open your eyes.

Last edited by John Candle; 11-Feb-2011 at 2:50 AM.
Old 11-Feb-2011, 2:23 AM   #9
rxr133

Success. I bought a cm 4228hd and was able to easily pick up wnpi 23 from an upstairs window. Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get it up on the roof.
Old 14-Feb-2011, 12:43 AM   #10
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
WNPI is usually available south of Ottawa. CJOH is going to flash cut back to channel 13 on or before August 31 of this year, and CIII (Global) will flash-cut to back to channel 6. The TVFool.com report of your location is a bit deceiving, because several of the stations that appear to be digital are not yet actually operating digitally. At the moment, you really need to do a bit of a reality check to see what will actually come in. I believe that a 4228 HD is likely to do mostly everything that you need except CIII when they convert to digital in August. Since CHRO and CJOH are now sharing studios, there is a good possibly that they will upgrade their equipment to full HD by august 31. I check the Citizen website once a week or so to see whether or not CHOH is planning to rebuilt their burned-out studios, but it may just be that they will stay with CHRO in the Byward Market. Ever gone up to the booth at CHRO on George Street and put a looney in video booth to rant? I have...LOL
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote