TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Oct-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
docbruce

Recommendations for my location - SoCal

Hi Forum members,
This is my first post and am soliciting recommendations for an HDTV antenna and any preamp or distribution amps as you deem necessary. Here is the link to my TV Fool workup:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243d15af264bb

I have read good things about the Channel Master 4221.
I am currently a DirecTv subscriber and, like many of you, am fed up with paying $118/mo for the handful of stations I do watch. I'd like to use the existing DirecTv J-mount on the side of my chimney, but I'm wondering if I need to move it to the north side of the chimney from the current east side mounting. Also, the satellite J-mount is a little short - is there an easy way to get an extension tube that will slide into the J-mount.
Thanks for you input,
Bruce
docbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Oct-2014, 1:50 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You require a small to medium high-VHF/UHF combo antenna, not a UHF-only antenna.

Mount the antenna so it has a good view towards Mt Wilson and aim it there. You should not need any amplifiers.

It is quite likely that your dish is located on the wrong side of your roof. If so, it will need to be relocated or replaced.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Oct-2014, 4:18 AM   #3
docbruce

Forgot to mention

I neglected to say that the antenna will be serving 3 TVs and the longest run of coax is more than 75 feet. I read that with multiple sets and longer runs of antenna cable, a distribution amplifier located on the antenna side of the splitter is often indicated.
Thanks,
Bruce
Old 7-Oct-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
ADTech

Your lowest noise margins of the low power stations are in the mid 20s. Your full power stations are all 40 dB or more.

75' of RG6 = ~5 dB insertion loss.
4-port splitter =~8 dB insertion loss.

You've used about half of the available NM for the LD stations and that's before adding the real gain of your receiving antenna. A distribution amp won't harm anything, but it probably just isn't called for.

This assumes an antenna with real gain mounted in a location with an unobstructed view.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 7-Oct-2014, 5:40 PM   #5
docbruce

Please clarify

Pardon my very limited knowledge of this subject. Firstly, when you say I need a high-VHF/UHF combo antenna, as I understand it high-VHF will pick up channels 7-69. What about channels 2,4, and 5 - three channels that I do watch regularly? Is there a combo antenna that will pick up the lower VHF stations along with the higher ones? Do I need a separate antenna for the low VHF signals?
Secondly, since my HOA may frown on a large (72"-78" boom) antenna e.g. Winegard HD 7694P or AntennaCraft HBU22, what can I expect if I mount the antenna in my attic - my roof is red tile?

Thanks for your patience,
Bruce
Old 7-Oct-2014, 6:15 PM   #6
tomfoolery

High-VHF is channels 7-13, and UHF is 14-51. 52-69 went away a few years ago (auctioned off for other purposes), and 70-83 went away some years before that. Low-VHF isn't used much since the digital transition, but there are some stations using it.

The antenna reacts to the actual broadcast channel (the "Real Channel" column), not the displayed channel ("Virtual Channel"). This is different from the analog days, when there was only one channel on each frequency, and the channel number displayed was the actual broadcast channel. These days, some real and virtual channels are the same, but most are not, as most are using the UHF band. Your virtual channels 2, 4, and 5 are being broadcast on real channels 43, 36, and 31 respectively, so they're UHF now. They kept the familiar (now virtual) channel numbers for loads of reasons, but mainly because they're familiar ('News 4 at 11:00' and such).

As to the HOA, they can frown, but they can't legally stop you from putting up an antenna, even a large one, absent certain other considerations (like a community antenna that gives you everything you want, or certain landmark or historic district type places). http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Oct-2014, 7:31 PM   #7
ADTech

I wouldn't hesitate to put up a ClearStream 2V or ClearStream 4V in a qualified location. Your signal forecast is very good.

Attics under a tile roof may as well be like a cosmic black hole. There's no way of knowing what signals may be in there until you put an antenna there

Old 8-Oct-2014, 12:03 AM   #8
docbruce

Thank you ADTech and tomfoolery for your thorough answers and recommendations!
Bruce