TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Aug-2011, 6:31 PM   #1
viewer

What do I need for good reception at my address

HI,
I am a new member and am really interested in possibly getting a rooftop over the air antenna. I was able to get a good idea of channels I would get by using the analyzing tool.

I am a retired woman who lives alone and am a little overwhelmed with the technical terms. So I want to find an antenna dealer in my area to come out to my house to see what he would recommend.

Do you know a good resource for me to find a dealer in my zip-code which is: 34638. I am having a difficult time finding an antenna dealer through a internet search.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.
viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Aug-2011, 1:42 AM   #2
bwilson

Radio Shack's ColorStar c490 ($99) along with their amp system ($50) absolutely wonderful in north GA for recieving 30 channels from here and the Carolinas mounted @ just 20 feet!!!!!
bwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Aug-2011, 2:08 AM   #3
viewer

Thank you.

I will call Radio Shack and ask them about it. The elevation here is very low as Florida is so flat. I'm not sure if that poses a problem or not.

I hope they can recommend in installer, too.
Old 8-Aug-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer View Post

Do you know a good resource for me to find a dealer in my zip-code which is: 34638. I am having a difficult time finding an antenna dealer through a internet search.
The suggested Radio Shack antenna is capable of low band VHF, but you don't need low band.

Consider an ANT751 aimed SSW and see if it picks up WTSP. If not, you need a second VHF antenna.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Aug-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
viewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
The suggested Radio Shack antenna is capable of low band VHF, but you don't need low band.

Consider an ANT751 aimed SSW and see if it picks up WTSP. If not, you need a second VHF antenna.
Do you mean I might need two antennas? I am so nervous about buying an antenna and then find out it did not bring good reception. Then I have to pay someone to remove it and ship it back to wherever I bought it.

Here is the report for my address.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3e47904f3c4bff

According to the chart at the bottom I could get several channels with an attic antenna.

Is that a reasonable reception? I don't know what to realistically expect.
Old 15-Aug-2011, 6:50 AM   #6
John Candle

Question and Answers

These question and answers belong in the - Help With Reception - part of tvfool .
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2011, 2:41 PM   #7
viewer

Sorry. I started out asking for a dealer and the answers I received were about recommended antennas. I am still going to need a dealer but admittedly I first need to figure out what antenna I need. That is mu first concern. I will try to find that area and re-post my questions.

Last edited by viewer; 15-Aug-2011 at 2:44 PM.
Old 15-Aug-2011, 2:55 PM   #8
viewer

What do I need for good reception at my address

HI,
I am a new member and am really interested in possibly getting a rooftop over the air antenna. The cable bill is just to high. I am a retired woman who lives alone and am a little overwhelmed with the technical terms. I am so nervous about buying an antenna and then find out it did not bring good reception. Then I have to pay someone to remove it and ship it back to wherever I bought it.

Here is the report for my address.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3e47904f3c4bff

According to the chart at the bottom I could get several channels with an attic antenna. But I am not sure.
Is that a reasonable reception? I don't know what to realistically expect.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.
Old 15-Aug-2011, 3:59 PM   #9
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

The stations in the green shaded area of the tvfool radar report are strong and can be received with a indoor antenna. But first I need to know about the home construction. If the home is wood frame with wood or vinyl siding , Tv signals pass easy through wood frame and wood or vinyl siding. Tv signals pass easy through flat composition roof shingles. Tv signals pass easy through insulation that is Not foil backed. If however the house has metal siding , a metal roof , concrete walls , brick from ground to roof , foil backed insulation , the Tv signals will be reduced or blocked. What is the construction of your house??
Old 15-Aug-2011, 4:24 PM   #10
viewer

The house is concrete block and the roof has regular shingles. I looked in the attic and I see the insulation but I don't see any foil. I live in a villa meaning there are two homes under the same roof. So the peak of the roof is over the entire building not just my half. Is there a way to post a jpeg photo?
Old 15-Aug-2011, 5:12 PM   #11
viewer

I am on the left. The house faces north.
Old 15-Aug-2011, 5:17 PM   #12
John Candle

In the directions of the Tv stations to the , west , south west and south east , are there big trees??
Old 15-Aug-2011, 5:22 PM   #13
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer View Post
HI,
I am a new member and am really interested in possibly getting a rooftop over the air antenna.
I'd try an HBU-22 or HD7694P, but it won't get CBS when aimed at the other T-SP stations. To get CBS add a Y5-7-13 antenna using a channel 10 Jointenna.

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/ant...Jointennas.htm

The antennas may work in the attic.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2011, 5:25 PM   #14
viewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
In the directions of the Tv stations to the , west , south west and south east , are there big trees??

No. Just villas like the one you see in the photo very close together on either side of me and also behind me. There are trees but the tallest tree reaches the rain gutters.
Old 15-Aug-2011, 5:36 PM   #15
viewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
I'd try an HBU-22 or HD7694P, but it won't get CBS when aimed at the other T-SP stations. To get CBS add a Y5-7-13 antenna using a channel 10 Jointenna.

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/ant...Jointennas.htm

The antennas may work in the attic.
Could you send me the link on that website where I can find the Y5-7-13 and the channel 10 Jointenna? I have no idea which I should buy.
My house is concrete block...
Old 15-Aug-2011, 5:46 PM   #16
viewer

Quote:

To answer this question better. I don't think of these trees as big but maybe they are. The development is 8 years old and these live oaks were planted then. Each yard has two one of which is on the sidewalk area. Some people removed the one in their front yard as I did. I will take a ride around the back and see what the people behind me did. I'll be right back.
Old 15-Aug-2011, 6:12 PM   #17
viewer

Here are three pictures. Two are of the house right behind me so you can see the house and the trees. The other one just gives you an idea of the typical street with the homes and the trees.

http://s788.photobucket.com/albums/y...urrent=007.jpg

http://s788.photobucket.com/albums/y...urrent=004.jpg
Old 15-Aug-2011, 6:12 PM   #18
John Candle

Well I see the pictures are posted now. . I am gathering information so that I can make a Simple Recommendation. Please stay with me. I understand that you are nervous. Be calm , I will provide a simple solution with easy to understand information of what to do.

Last edited by mtownsend; 16-Aug-2011 at 4:27 PM. Reason: Edited for content
Old 15-Aug-2011, 6:14 PM   #19
viewer

Here is my home again. I don't think the photo came out last time.

http://s788.photobucket.com/albums/y...nt=Myvilla.jpg
Old 15-Aug-2011, 6:18 PM   #20
viewer

Quote:
The picture is not working. You say the trees are as high as the rain gutters. Thats Ok , Question askers rarely provide pictures so it's not the end of the world. I am gathering information so that I can make a Simple Recommendation. Please stay with me -> John Candle. What happens here at tvfool sometimes is the other helpers jump in and through information around with no explaination for people that have little to no idea of what to do. I understand that you are nervous. Be calm , I will provide a simple solution with easy to understand information of what to do.
Thanks! I understand. I last photo I posted is of my home. (Tree is taller than gutter). Before that I posted two pics. One gives you an idea of what the street looks like with homes and trees. (The trees are all the same age. Planted when homes were built 8 years ago.) The other photo is of the house right behind me. That one is number 004.