TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-May-2014, 4:44 PM   #1
TFBrubaker

Your thoughts on reception and antenna request

Hello,

I recently decided to discontinue cable TV service and install an OTA antenna and high speed internet. I plan on chimney mounting the antenna. My TVFool report is:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6eaf1507b48

Through an online submission, Solid Signal suggested a Winegard HD 7698P. When I researched that, I thought "that thing is huge!." So I called them and asked if there was something in a smaller footprint that might work. I'm interested in receiving WJAC (34), WWCP (8), WPCW (27), and hopefully _either_ WTAJ (CBS,29) or KDKA (CBS,25). On their advice, I purchased their HD1080x. I temporarily setup the antenna in the front yard and received WJAC (34), WWCP (8), WPCW (27) with no problems at all. But I had no luck with either CBS station.

In hind sight, I should have asked for your opinions here first. I have changed my opinion on the size of an antenna and would go with the 7698P (or another recommendation that you might have) if that will have a chance at receiving wither CBS station.

My cabling path (all RG6) will be: 50ft from the antenna into the basement, into a 2way splitter. Then 25ft to TV1, and 80ft to TV2. Would this require a preamp?

I'm going to try and attach at jpg which show my house. In the direction of WTAJ, there are trees in close proximity that are taller than the antenna will be.

Thank you in advance for recommendations!!
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BirdsEyePhoto.jpg (230.8 KB, 542 views)
TFBrubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-May-2014, 5:32 PM   #2
Tower Guy

To get all the major networks you will need a rotator or multiple antennas plus a preamp.

In my opinion even the HD 7698P is a bit low in gain nor does it allow aiming a VHF and UHF in different directions.

If I lived there I would start with a 91XG on a tall mast aimed at Pittsburg with a TVPRAMP1R and see if it gets CBS. I would base the rest of my decisions on what was missing after that.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-May-2014, 9:01 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Agreed, I don't often suggest a rotator, but this is a case that calls for one. The 91XG or the DB8E would be a great starting point. I'd anticipate adding an Antennacraft Y10713 to the system as well.

The Y10713 would likely work well without rotation. A fixed aim point of about 280° would give you access to real CH-8, 11 & 13.

The TVPRAMP1R has separate inputs for both the UHF antenna as well as the VHF.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-May-2014, 9:47 PM   #4
Tower Guy

I am concerned that the DB8E would get too much signal off axis which could allow for overload from WJAC.

Last edited by Tower Guy; 3-May-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-May-2014, 10:13 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

You're right, their signal on real CH-34 is pretty 'hot'.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-May-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
teleview

+=>

--->NO Antenna Rotator and Antenna Rotation Required.<--

The Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels in the Green reception zone are are Strong Signal Strength and will be received by any Tv antenna aimed in any direction.

WJAC-DT , Real UHF channel 34 , (virt) virtual number (6.1) , NBC and Me-Tv.

WWCP-DT , Real VHF high band channel 8 , (virt) virtual number 8 , FOX , And is also retransmitting WATM -ABC .

WPCW , Real UHF band channel 27 , (virt) virtual number (19.1) The CW .

WTOO-CA , Real UHF band channel 35 , is not transmitting.

KDKA-TV , Real UHF band channel 40 , (virt) virtual number (2.1) CBS .

--------------------

This Tv station is Very Weak Signal Strength.

WGPT Real UHF band channel 36 , (virt) virtual number (x) PBS. At 211 degree magnetic compass direction.

To receive the easy to receive Tv stations/channels in the Green reception zone.

And to reach out for WGPT , PBS.

Above the the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building in the directions of , South , South West , West , North West.

Install a , Antennas Direct , DB8e , UHF channels 14 thru 51 antenna aimed at about 211 degree magnetic compass direction.

Buy the DB8e at.
www.amazon.com

----------------------------------------------------

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antennas , do not trust a cell phone compass.

----------------------------------------------------

To make WWCP-DT , VHF channel 8 , Rock Solid Reception and also to reach out for , WQED , Real VHF high band 13 , PBS channels.

Install a , www.antennacraft.net , Y10-7-13 , VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 antenna aimed at about 292 degree magnetic compass direction.

-----------------------------

Install a , www.antennacraft.net , 10G221 preamplifier.

Connect the , DB8e UHF antenna the UHF connection of the preamp.

Connect the , Y10-7-13 antenna to the VHF connection of the preamp.

The FM radio interference trap of the preamp will be in the , in/on position.

------------------------------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D , HFS-3D , splitters at , www.hollandelectronics.com , or , www.amazon.com .

------------------------------

Here are chimney antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

www.ronard.com

Ronard also has a 10 foot tripod antenna mount.

Do not bolt the tripod in place until a good reception location is found along the peak of the roof.

www.ronard.com/Tripods%200703/4712.html
Use the , ronard(4712-50-10) .

-----

Home Depot has , 10 foot 6 inch , 1 and 3/8 inch diameter , TOP RAIL , chain link fence , PIPE , that is good for antenna mast pipe.

Install the , Y10-7-13 antenna about 3 feet below the DB8e antenna on the same mast pipe.

Last edited by teleview; 3-May-2014 at 8:38 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.