TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Nov-2013, 3:26 AM   #1
thebluetaxi

What is my best option?

I would like to convert to an antenna but know very little about the process or the channels. Based on my report what is my best move as far as equipment and instillation.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aedca6bc3945

Thanks
thebluetaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Nov-2013, 3:06 PM   #2
elmo

So judging from your plot (which you might want to provide one at the address level with height too), your best reception will come from a VHF/UHF antenna mounted to point south. You also have a couple of channels broadcasting near east and west of you as well. What channels are you after specifically?

What's your plan for mounting and what obstacles are there? Trees and other things in the way can be an issue for reception. I'd recommend mounting on the roof for best reception.

Possibly an antenna like the Winegard HD7697P would be a good choice. But more info would help make a better decision.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Nov-2013, 4:30 PM   #3
thebluetaxi

More Info

First, thank you for taking the time to help.

My original map was done by address, I did not realize that it did not pick up my address. I tried several times to get a better map so I went to google and got the coordinates at my roof and this map is listed below.

As for channels, I open - I would like to get KFVS and KBSI which are some of the first channels in the Grey list however these is not a deal breaker. I believe they are going to come from the North/Northeast.

I live in a small town, there are trees on all sides of me, I do have a little more line of site due north, more than any other direction, the next best line would be to the south. The trees in the yards next door make east and west look pretty slim.

My goal is to get some decent reliable channels so I can do away with dish.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aed520127f25

Thanks again - I look forward to your response.
thebluetaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Nov-2013, 6:26 PM   #4
StephanieS

Greetings Thebluetaxi,

Your radar plot offers some challenges, but is doable overall.

First thing you need to realize is that you have low band VHF in WMC-TV on channel 5 so that puts you into a more specialized antenna. Many of the low-band model supporting (channels 2-6) antennas have been discontinued because in most markets low band VHF is obsolete.

That said, what are your goals? What are the signals you want? Big four and PBS? You have 4 distinctive directions that signals are arriving at you from. Also, are you going to be running a long coax and splitting to multiple TVs?

I would start with a Winegard model HD8200U pointed at magnetic 182. This ought give you CW, NBC. If you add a RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp at the same heading, you have a reasonable chance at FOX, CBS and ABC (WBBJ).

Now this is where you have a choice: using a rotor or to not use a rotor. I say this because if I were in your position a rotor has an appeal because it allows via a single antenna the flexibility, and most importantly, appropriate reception capability for all the signals available to you. If a rotor is not the way you want to go, you are looking at least a 2 antenna solution with one being pointed at magnetic 182 and another at magnetic 242 or thereabouts for coverage ABC (KAIT) and PBS (KTEJ). If operating two antennas, I would make them both Winegard model HD8200U's.

It is probably cheaper and less stressful for you to consider the rotor option and a single antenna solution. I would suggest this due to 4 different directions broadcast signals are transmitting from.

These signals in your plot will require you to have the antenna mounted outdoors, preferably on your roof or someplace high free of obstructions as best as possible to conduct reception tests. For signals shaded in red, the only reasonable chance at reception will be outside and as high as you can get the antenna.

It's reasonable to expect to see (highlights):
FOX (WJKT)
FOX (WHBQ)
ABC (KAIT)
ABC (WBBJ)
NBC (WMC)
CBS (WREG)
PBS (KTEJ)
CW (WLMT)

Keep in mind many of these signals are coming from 2 edge obstructed pathways, thus they may vary quite a bit in strength during the day and drop in and out. Thus, it is suggested a good preamp is necessary to aide in your reception. A high quality low cost unit is the RCA TVPRAMP1R. You'll find that especially for the red shaded signals preamps can help minimize signal drop outs. They may not eliminate them, but they can reduce them, sometimes greatly.

Good luck! You have some thinking to do about what signals are priorities.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Nov-2013, 6:51 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

I agree with the need to use an all channel antenna aimed south. I would slightly favor the HD7084P for it's added gain in the L-VHF band (real CH-5, WMC needs the gain).

If you have more than one TV to connect, a rotator may prove frustrating when the antenna needs to aim in more than one direction at the same time. There are other options... http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

If I was installing a second antenna for the WSW signals, I'd also consider the Winegard HD7698P.

Given the moderate to weak signal levels, the Antennas Direct PA-18 is high on my list, though the TVPRAMP1R is a good preamp as well.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 18-Nov-2013 at 6:55 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Nov-2013, 7:15 PM   #6
StephanieS

Both these signals at -7.1 db and -10.7 are in the 'extreme' category, which means these signals are exceptionally weak and require some heavy hitting equipment and luck. By heavy hitting, we are talking towers of heights 50' and above. Sometimes you get lucky with negative db signals, however more often than not for someone not wanting to spend $200 or more, these won't be reliable.

I have a -5.0 db signal that is through a 2-edge situation that I do see a signal on. Additionally, there is a -15db gray area signal which I also see a signal on. Like the -5.0 signal, that one I've never locked on either.

My beam is a Antennas Direct 91XG. It's a great UHF only beam. Currently, it provides mostly stable reception of a 7.0 db signal at 55 miles and 1-edge conditions. We had snow and bad weather last weekend, so the signal was more flakey than usual. Weather, especially bad winter weather can disrupt weak signals. Not to mention cause icing on transmitting antennas which makes them reduce transmission power. If your signal is a 3.0 db and the transmitter reduces power by half, you will likely lose reception.

A central point here is that with the most directional and aggressive consumer UHF beam, at my location I've not locked on a negative db signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluetaxi View Post
I would like to get KFVS and KBSI which are some of the first channels in the Grey list however these is not a deal breaker.

Last edited by StephanieS; 18-Nov-2013 at 7:22 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Nov-2013, 7:57 PM   #7
teleview

+=>
--------

Recommend install 1 antenna for now and see how reception goes.

Might require a second antenna later.

------------

The Current Tv stations/channels that are being transmitted and received in the , USA , Canada , Mexico , are

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF channels 14 thru 51.

Your location has receivable Tv stations/channels in All 3 Tv bands.

WMC , channel 5 , NBC , is your only receivable NBC station.

The Signal Strengths of All Tv stations/channels are weak signal strengths at your location and add to that the trees obstructions and a Large All channel antenna is required.

The Winegard HD7084P All channel antenna is a better antenna then the Winegard HD8200U antenna.

The HD7084P antenna has more low channel band 2 thru 6 , antenna gain , and better flatness of response across all the Tv channels.

----------

Install the HD7084P antenna above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , South , South West , South East.

Aim the HD7084P antenna at about 180 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html .

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

----------

Here are some Strong and Sturdy above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Install the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/Tripods%200703/4712.html
10 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Install the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the Chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.solidsignal.com , by typing , ronard(x) , in the solidsignal search box or buy from , www.ronard.com .

----------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

www.winegarddirect.com

www.channelmasterstore.com

-----------

Install a Channel Master CM7778 preamplifier.

-----------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics, HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the HFS splitters at , www.solidsignal.com

------------

As Always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv reception in the directions of reception and so do buildings and other obstructions in the directions of reception.

Some and not all of Negative Effects are

Absorbing, Blocking , Reception

Multi-Path Reflections bouncing all around

The Best Pratice is to install the HD7084P antenna at a location that has the least amount to no-amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions
of reception. South , South West , South East.

---------

Last edited by teleview; 19-Nov-2013 at 3:00 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.