TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Mar-2014, 5:10 PM   #1
agiera

Planning to cut the cord

Hello, I a looking for some help with an antenna. I would like to use the existing Dish mount on my roof and wiring to mount an antenna to get the big 4 station in addition to streaming. However I am having some trouble with choosing the right antenna, and planning where to aim it (I am in Hanover, PA, between the Harrisburg and Baltimore markets) for the best reception. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94dba94f49b3
agiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
StephanieS

Hello Agiera,

In looking at your TVfool plot in regards to the big four, NBC and FOX from Harrisburg are no sweat with the existing J-Pole satellite mount. CBS, ABC and PBS are going to pose a bit more of a challenge and would need an antenna larger than the J-Pole mount supports.

If I were at your location, I would focus on Baltimore. The main reason is due to magnetic heading 161/166 you have pretty much of Baltimore's broadcasts within 5 degrees of each other. The other markets have signals all in different directions. Baltimore while weak, gives you a chance for the big four plus some in one heading.

I would do a two antenna application for Baltimore. Signals are weak, so you must have a robust antenna system. First antenna I would install a Antennas Direct DB8. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=db8. Orientate to magnetic heading 163. The DB8 is a UHF design that'll give you great performance for real channels 14 and up.

The second antenna I would install would be an Antennacraft Y10-7-13. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...-7-13&ss=42123. Also orientate to magnetic heading 163. The Y10-7-13 is a high-VHF exclusive antenna that is designed for real channels 7-13. This important for WBAL and WJZ.

You need to purchase an signal combiner. The Antennas Direct EU385CF-1s is a nice little unit. This allows you to combine two antennas into one coax coming into your home. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...CF-1S&ss=42125

Mount the antennas on your roof either via chimney mount or tripod mount. Mounting supplies: http://www.solidsignal.com/cview.asp...ing%20Supplies. When installing antennas on the same mast try to use a 10' mast. Install DB8 on the top and 4' below install Y10-7-13. Have combiner below Y10-7-13.

I would choose a location on your home that has the best possible pathway with as few obstructions as possible to magnetic heading 163.

I couldn't give you "easy" and repurposing you satellite mount. Getting the signals you want takes a bit more than "easy." Thus, I had to give you a stronger system to get you all the channels you wanted.

You didn't mention how many TVs you wish to serve. Depending on the number, that could create a few more recommendations. How long do you anticipate your coax runs being?

For starters though on your roof with this system I would have a reasonable expectation to see ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC and PBS from Baltimore.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2014, 5:12 PM   #3
teleview

I agree with StephanieS , evaluation and recommendation.

I will like to say that , Home Depot and Lowes have 10 foot lengths of , Top Rail , chain link fence Pipe , the price is low dollars. For antenna mast pipe.

Also , Please do not ask the people at Solidsignal to recommend Tv antennas and do not let them talk you into buying the antennas they are Pushing.

StephanieS , My Self , Ground Ur Mast GUM , ADTech , and some other helpers here at Tvfool are not beholden to any business and our only goal is to do the best we can to recommend the best reception equipment for each reception situation.

Even ADTech that works with Antennas Direct does a Excellent Job of finding a balance of recommending Antennas Direct products and other manufactures products here at Tvfool.

Last edited by teleview; 7-Mar-2014 at 3:01 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 4-Mar-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
agiera

Thank you both for your replies. Since neither my wife or I watch much network tv, what would be your recommendation for an antenna that would use the existing mount to pick up NBC and Fox? I would like to run it to 3 tvs, so I'd be looking at about 50' ft of cable. Thanks again for your help!
agiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2014, 2:10 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

If you just want to see WPMT & WGAL, an RCA ANT-751R or Antennacraft HBU-11 would do the job... You may even get those using an indoor antenna such as the RCA ANT-111.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote