TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Sep-2019, 4:08 PM   #1
iamnoip

Antenna Refresh/Upgrade? - NYC

First, thanks for this forum & everyone's assistance!

Wish I was aware of this forum, @6 years ago, before I blindly bought a Mohu Leaf MH-ANT1000 and placed it in my 5th floor, NW facing window.

Overall, reception has been pretty good. The occasional exceptions are pixelation issues (mostly on Channel 2 (WCBS) or temporary lost signals, usually on Channel 5 (WYNW) and Channel 9 (WWOR).

I understand interference happens, but it got me thinking that these days there's probably a better indoor antenna I should be using?

My TV Fool report is http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90388c1c81845c

Any suggestions for the best indoor antenna for my location?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by iamnoip; 7-Sep-2019 at 9:08 PM.
iamnoip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Sep-2019, 7:59 PM   #2
OTAFAN

Quote:
I understand interference happens, but it got me that these days there's probably a better indoor antenna I should be using?

Hi & Welcome iamnoip!

Here's your rabbitears.info report. It's more up to date than your TV Fool report, due to a very small staff trying to keep up with repack and all the other related issues. (It might be a bit slow to load, up to 30 seconds).

https://www.rabbitears.info/search.p...=dBm&height=50

Here's an earlier thread which deals with similar issues as you're asking about:

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=16647

I have no problem recommending Antennas Direct antennas, especially the indoor Flex. I have found it to be more reliable in signal strength and reception than Mohu. Just my opinion though.

There are some excellent Techs here that might be able to help you further.

Please keep the forum updated on your progress. I'm sure it would be of interest to others with similar issues.

All the best!

Last edited by OTAFAN; 7-Sep-2019 at 8:10 PM. Reason: additional
OTAFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Sep-2019, 9:57 PM   #3
iamnoip

Thanks OTAFAN!

I did read the thread you linked to and it's great that Gophers' reception improved with the Clearstream Flex.

Just to make sure I'm looking at the correct antenna, it's the ClearStream FLEX® Amplified UHF/VHF Indoor HDTV Antenna with Sure Grip?

For some reason, I was led to believe that amplified antennas were not recommended for folks like me that live very close (1-2 miles) to most signals?

Did I get that wrong?
iamnoip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Sep-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
OTAFAN

Quote:
Just to make sure I'm looking at the correct antenna, it's the ClearStream FLEX® Amplified UHF/VHF Indoor HDTV Antenna with Sure Grip?
Yes, that's the one.

Quote:
For some reason, I was led to believe that amplified antennas were not recommended for folks like me that live very close (1-2 miles) to most signals?
After I posted to your query, I thought about how close you were to your towers. And you're right about amplification that's very close to transmission source. So, I would try the antenna you choose without the amplifier first and check your reception and signal strength. If everything is to your liking, nothing else to do. But if you find issues later, you can experiment with placement to see if that clears things up. At your very close proximity, I think an amplifier might overload your TV and you'll get less channels, if I'm thinking correctly here. I'm not a Tech, but I've learned much from this forum and my "hobby" at my location.

I hope this helps, iamnoip. As I mentioned earlier, there are some very experienced Techs on this forum with many years in the industry, who probably could explain the details of this issue much better than me. If they decide to chime in, they'll give you a deeper understanding of these matters. But, I'll give you my 2 cents as best I can!

Please keep the forum posted on your outcome. Thanks!

Last edited by OTAFAN; 7-Sep-2019 at 10:35 PM. Reason: additional
OTAFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Sep-2019, 11:46 PM   #5
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnoip View Post

Did I get that wrong?
That's probably true in your case, unless the signals are nuch weaker than indicated because of buildings in the signal path. The report assumes there are no objects in the signal path. The red highlighted signal power numbers are an overload warning.

Before buying another antenna why don't you try an attenuator to make the signals weaker. A 4-way splitter would give 7 dB attenuation; two in series give 14 dB.

Because of Repack by the FCC, some of your signals are coming from the ESB, some from the WTC, and some from NJ. There wil be many multipath reflections of your signals; try different antenna locations.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote