TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Dec-2011, 1:59 PM   #1
EMNY

Few Grounding Questions

I am about to install an antenna on the roof, and I have been researching grounding options available to me. I've been able to cobble together what is supposed to be done as a minimum in order to ground properly, but I wanted to get a little more advice more specific to my situation before I proceed.

I noticed Verizon's ONT box looks as though it is grounded to my electrical box by way of a hook that sort of clamps onto the edge/lip of the electrical box, with a grounding wire that is screwed into one of 4 slots. I know it has been said in the past that one should not combine grounding solutions along the wire. In this instance, I was wondering if it would be permissible to route the grounding wires from the antenna and 2 coax cable grounding blocks into the remaining screw slots on the Verizon clamp that is attached to the electrical box?

And with respect to the coax cable grounding blocks.... Currently I have two coax cables that were originally installed years ago and both cables lead directly into the lower and upper level of my house, separated by about 4-5 feet, one above the other. Neither cable is attached to a grounding block as per the info I've read on proper grounding. Is this something that I can leave as is, or will I need to cut into the cables where they enter the home, install F-connectors, attach to grounding blocks, and then use #6 copper wire to ground to clamp attached to electrical box? Would there be any other options to ground coax at entry points into home that wouldn't necessitate cutting into the cable?

Other than obviously staying clear of power lines, are there any other safety concerns I should keep in mind while implementing the ground and handling this equipment?

Thanks in advance for any help folks can provide.

E money
EMNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Dec-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Have you read http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901

The grounding connector installed by Verizon sounds as if it has capacity to attach additional conductors without disturbing the existing connections. I would would be inclined to use that connector.

One ground connection to the coax shield should protect the entire system. A separate ground block for each distribution run is not necessary.

I recommend grounding the mast as one step and then grounding the coax shield as a second step. Each are independent ground conductors until they meet at the electrical service ground.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Dec-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
EMNY

Thanks, GroundUrMast, for your help! Dad and I spent about an hour game-planning today on how we would tackle getting the antenna mounted on the roof. Hopefully this weekend we'll be able to get it all set up so I can do away with the paltry rabbit ears.

I read through that link again that you mentioned. Helps explain a lot of things, and I guess I know what *needs to be done. I'm just wondering if there are some easier alternatives available concerning what I'm dealing with. If not then of course I'll handle it the proper way.

Alright, so you said I'm good to go with using the Verizon bracket attached to my electrical box outside for grounding the antenna. Now with respect to grounding the coaxial cable, you said I only have to ground one split leg of the cable before it enters the house in order to ground the entire coax. Makes sense. My question is, how do I ground the coaxial cable without cutting into the cable, installing 2 f-connectors, and *then installing the grounding block? The cable I'm using was actually put in place by Dish Network years ago and the cable feeds directly into the side of the house. I did come across this antenna discharge unit shown on the left in my research. Is this something I could use in place of a grounding block, and if so how does it establish continuity with the coaxial shielding to properly ground the cable?

Thanks again!

E money
EMNY is offline   Reply With Quote