TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics

Notices

Old 28-Oct-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
johnodon

HOA Covenant

We have been in our new home for over a year now and I am finally ready to move the antenna from the ground mounted DTV mast to the roof. Since we have an HOA, I have been reading the covenants to see what I need to do. Can someone help me translate the following (specifically the part in red):
Antennas, Other Devices. Towers, antennae, or other apparatus for the transmission or reception of television, radio, satellite or other signals shall not be installed or mounted without the prior written consent of the DRC.

However, consistent with rules and regulation mandated by the Federal Communications Commission the foregoing does not prohibit
(i) antennas for the reception of television broadcast signals which do not extend more than then (10) feet above the top roof ridge (although internal antennas are strongly recommended by the Association) and (ii) direct broadcast satellite receiving discs or dishes no larger than one (1) meter in diameter provided that such over-the-air reception devices are installed or mounted in compliance with all conditions established by the DRC pertaining to the location, screening and manner of installation of such devices and provided that such conditions do not cause unreasonable cost or delay and do not preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal. In no event shall free –standing transmission or receiving towers which support satellite dishes larger than one (1) meter in diameter or non-standard television antennae be permitted within the Property.
Do I need to submit paperwork to have the antenna installed? I have the form in hand I have to do all kinds of crap like provide an official survey that shows the install location, etc. Also, it states to allow 45 days for review/decision. If I meet the guidelines outlined and the Feds say that they can't interfere, why would I need to submit something for review? I can certainly tell you that nobody submits anything to install a DTV dish.

I want to get this installed next week. I see a war coming. What do you guys think?

John
johnodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Oct-2018, 1:09 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The first sentence, on its face, appears to be in violation of the FCC rules because it requires pre-approval (prohibited).

See https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...tellite-dishes and https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

Ultimately, it's your choice if you want to go to "war" with your association. Based on the limited information provided, you'd likely win the battle but alienate a number of your neighbors. It's your call.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Oct-2018, 1:34 PM   #3
Nascarken
Banned

Fcc saying that no one can stop you frum putting up a tv antennas
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Oct-2018, 1:44 PM   #4
JoeAZ

Many, if not most, HOA's have not updated their verbiage since their inception.
Doing so would be expensive and in most cases, require a vote of the homeowners.

Most newer HOA's do not include language such as:
"Antennas, Other Devices. Towers, antennae, or other apparatus for the transmission or reception of television, radio, satellite or other signals shall not be installed or mounted without the prior written consent of the DRC." As ADtech stated, it is prohibited.

Unless you plan some outrageous array, I would go ahead with your antenna system. Keep it as small as possible and inconspicuous, if possible. Before you decide on a
location, be sure to check to see if that location provides all the stations you want. Sometimes, movement up or down, a few feet in any direction, can make all the difference. Once you get the system installed, be sure to tell a few neighbors about all the channels you are getting and all the money you are saving. I'll bet you see a few more antennas in a very short time.
JoeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Oct-2018, 2:40 PM   #5
johnodon

Thanks guys.

I would be using something as small as the ANT751 since it will get me everything I want. The plan is to mount it on the back side of the roof at the highest point, but just so it peaks over the top if the roof line. This should keep it out of view from the street.

The green is the antenna placement and the red is where the demarc box is.

https://imgur.com/a/TPEnXdp
johnodon is offline   Reply With Quote