TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Nov-2013, 8:12 PM   #1
roadhowl

Antenna Help at New House

I'm moving into a new house in a couple of weeks and would like to go to a good OTA antenna instead of the ubiquitous satellite dish. Here's a link to my Signal Analysis Results: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae9ee429009f

I would like to go with an attic mounted antenna if possible, but the priority is to receive the networks (NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX,PBS,CW) very well, which to my wife means no dropouts from rain, etc. I know the attic isn't a great location, but don't mind spending extra on a better antenna to make up for it. The house location is on a high area compared to the surrounding terrain and I'm concerned with lightning from an external antenna. There would be two sets running off the antenna, with less than 50' of cable for each. Ideally, I'd like to pick up the networked stations from both cities, but since they're in pretty much opposite direction, I don't know if that's doable.

Thanks very much for any advice.
roadhowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Nov-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Every attic is different. so you'll know what to expect only after trying an antenna in your attic.

The Antennacraft HD-1200 and Channel Master CM-3018 both come to mind. I'd start with one pointed at about 170°. expecting to see good reception from the rear, at least for the stronger signals.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Nov-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
roadhowl

I'm curious, wouldn't it be OK to use an antenna with only H-VHF and UHF? There's little on the low VHF that seems receivable.

Also, if I did go for an outside mount, would the direction, etc., remain the same?
Old 15-Nov-2013, 6:29 AM   #4
teleview

>=+
---------
WUOA , Real VHF low band channel 6 .

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WVUA-CA
Old 15-Nov-2013, 6:30 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

I haven't taken the time to look for an alternate to WUOA which that caries 'THIS' network... I enjoy their programing... That doesn't mean you or anyone else has to though. So, if you have no interest in WUOA, real CH-6, yes, feel free to opt for a 7-51 or 7-69 antenna.

The Winegard HD-7694P would be a good option outdoors, but if you are going to try the attic first, you may find the Winegard difficult to re-fold without damage (if you need to get it back out of the attic). For attic mounting, consider the Antennacraft HBU-33 or HBU-44.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Nov-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

THIS TV is only available on WUOA in the B'ham area. If you want it, go with the all-channel combo. If you don't care whether you get it or not, then go with the smaller antenna. Since WOUA's signal is pretty strong, it might come in anyway on the smaller antenna.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Nov-2013, 4:19 PM   #7
roadhowl

Thanks for the advice. This gives me a couple of good options to consider.
Old 16-Nov-2013, 3:17 AM   #8
teleview

>=+
---------
The Current Tv channels that are being Transmitted and Received in the ,

USA , Canada , Mexico , are ,

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6 .

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 .

UHF band channels 14 thru 51 .

Your location has receivable Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels in all 3 Tv bands.

-------

Most Tv stations as time goes by , Change Network Programing .

So likeing or not likeing the Network Programing at any time as time goes by and making a decision to not receive the Tv station that is in a certain channel band , as a example , channels 2 thru 6 , will most likely leave one hanging later on.

WUOA / WUVA , on channel 6 is one of Many examples ,

At the wikipedia link web site , Look at the , Former affilliations .

-------

To discover what Network Programing and other information about Tv stations , easy to find out.

Type Variations of the Tv stations , Call sign , in the , google or yahoo , search box .

As an example here are and not all variations.

wuoa , wuoa tv , wuoa-tv , wuoa dt , wuoa-dt , so forth .

The Tv fool channel list has Tv stations call signs.

Some and not all web sites that will be found that have a lot of information are , wikipedia and rabbitears.info

To stay in saddle , install a antenna that is designed to receive All 3 Tv bands.

Last edited by teleview; 16-Nov-2013 at 3:44 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.