TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Feb-2012, 6:38 PM   #1
nachotime

Looking for antennae recommendation

I'd appreciate antennae recommendations for the following setup:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86e8da03790e

I'd like to install it attic and barring that a mast on the roof. I'm also curious if an amplifier is needed (Single TV w/ ~75-100ft coax) and if I need to run a dedicated ground wire or can utilize the coax protection on my surge protector.

Thank you!
nachotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Feb-2012, 1:38 AM   #2
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

If the roof and framing are wood with standard composition shingles and no metal foil backed insulation. Then install a Winegard HD 7696P antenna aimed at about 166 degree magnetic compass in the attic , no ground wire will be needed in the attic. Grounding the coax will direct interfering signals to ground , so thats a good idea. No preamp will be used , the tv stations/channels in the green reception zone are very strong.

Last edited by Electron; 21-Feb-2012 at 7:40 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2012, 3:33 PM   #3
nachotime

Many thanks for the reply Electron.

There's nothing in the roof or framing that would prevent the Winegard antennae you've recommended. I'm about to place an order from a site (Parts Express) which carries the HD-7697, would that one work as well?

Regarding grounding the coax, is the coax surge protector sufficient or should I use a coax grounding block in the attic and run a ground wire?

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 20-Feb-2012 at 6:48 PM. Reason: removed reference to spam-bot
Old 20-Feb-2012, 6:45 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

So long as the antenna is in the attic, I would opt for using a grounding block or, if you're using a splitter, the ground lug on the splitter. When grounding permanently installed equipment, so far as it's possible, I locate the grounding block close to the electrical service ground, I prefer to avoid long and/or shared ground connections.

A surge protector that can be unplugged from the wall is less preferred IMO.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2012, 7:16 PM   #5
nachotime

No splitters are planned/needed for now, although it's conceivable we may add one later.

The main electrical service ground is in the basement and the antennae will be in the attic (approximately 15-20' apart). It seems my choices are a long, heavy gauge ground wire to the basement or running the coax down to a grounding block in the basement and then over to the TV. I'd like to avoid the second option as it's much easier to use a single coax cable and drop it down to the TV from above.

Thank you for the advice.
Old 21-Feb-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachotime View Post
No splitters are planned/needed for now, although it's conceivable we may add one later.

The main electrical service ground is in the basement and the antennae will be in the attic (approximately 15-20' apart). It seems my choices are a long, heavy gauge ground wire to the basement or running the coax down to a grounding block in the basement and then over to the TV. I'd like to avoid the second option as it's much easier to use a single coax cable and drop it down to the TV from above.

Thank you for the advice.
... until you run additional cable to other sets???

I'm not standing there looking at your exact situation, so you're better able to judge if to start with, a run to a future splitter location in the basement makes sense.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 21-Feb-2012 at 12:25 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2012, 2:57 PM   #7
nachotime

You make a fine point I will run it to the basement and do it properly the first time.

Thank you both for the advice. It's greatly appreciated.