TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-May-2013, 4:40 AM   #1
mbach

Missing siblings channels

I just got my antenna setup in place today. My goal is to get Seattle TV stations but I'm only getting King5.1 from Seattle. I do get Fox and IND channels.

My report indicates that I should be getting more stations, http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda3fb2bcf071

Winegard HD 7084P Antenna
Winegard AP8700 Pre Amplifier

I've got the mast at one corner of my house and the the demarcation for homeruns at the opposite corner. I ran the line from the preamp to RG11 (coupled by the grounding unit), RG11 enters my attic and then exists at the opposing corner, RG11 runs down the side and then re-enters the house where power is injected into the system.

Any ideas why I'm missing those sibling channels?
mbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2013, 5:59 AM   #2
teleview

As a Test to prove reception one way or the other.

Aim the antenna at about 99 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Connect a New continuous length of RG-6 coax to the antenna and run the New continuous length of RG-6 coax through a open door or window direct to 1 Tv.

No coax ground blocks , No couplers , No splitters , No passive or active devices.

It is the , antenna , the matching transformer (balun) , the coax , the Tv.

Digital Tv tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do a double rescan , http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , produce a negative reception situation , multi-path/reflecting , absorbing , blocking , Tv reception , and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

The best practice is to instal the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house/building.
Old 13-May-2013, 8:23 PM   #3
mbach

thank you teleview.

I'll try exactly that when I get back home in a couple weeks and will update.
Old 2-Jun-2013, 7:58 PM   #4
mbach

I just got home and performed the tasks as specified. Running a new coax from the antenna to a tv I got only a few stations 13.1, 20.1+, 5.1.
Adding the preamp I was able get those plus 4.1 (tunes in and out), 7,1 and 28.1 or 51.1.

I'm still missing 9.1, 11.1 and 16.1.

It's confusing that most of the channels are coming from the same direction and distance but I get some but not others.

Any more suggestions?
Old 3-Jun-2013, 12:51 AM   #5
teleview

Yes , It is odd combinations of reliable and non reliable reception.

The phasing lines (connecting wires) that connect the reception elements (metal reception rods) to the connections in the housing that connects the coax to the antenna are often a source of problems when not connected correctly (when the antenna is put together).

The phasing lines must not be touching the metal boom of the antenna.

Trees and tree leaves , hills and mountains , are source of reception situation/problems in your city and state.

Also , defective tuner in the Tv can be the cause of odd reception issues.

FYI :

And the following situation/information also applies to other question askers that are reading this , tvfool lists Real channels and Virtual numbers for your location.

Tvfool lists the REAL Channels that are received , and Virtual numbers.

Examples:

KOMO-Tv , REAL Digital UHF channel 38.1-2 , Virtual number (04.1-2) , ABC and This Tv.

KIRO-Tv , REAL Digital UHF channel 39.1-2 , Virtual number (07.1-2) , CBS and RTV.

KUNS-Tv , Real Digital UHF channel 50.1 , Virtual number (51.1) Univision.

KCTS-DT , Real Digital VHF channel 09.1-2-3 , Virtual number (09.1-2-3) PBS and V-Me and Create.

Real channels are the Real and Actual Channels that are transmitted and received.

The Virtual number is the Analog channel that was being transmitted and received before the change to Digital.

Perhaps GUM Ground Ur Mast will have some information about reception at your location.

Last edited by teleview; 4-Jun-2013 at 2:03 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 3-Jun-2013, 2:30 PM   #6
mbach

Thank you teleview.

I remember that one must snap heavy gauge wire into the assembly. I will update later today or tomorrow.
Old 4-Jun-2013, 3:43 AM   #7
mbach

I took the antenna down and disassembled the reassembled the phase wire housing. Still no improvement; I also tried another cable.
In addition, I called Solid Signal and Winegard both said I should be able to get reception w/o the preamp and in fact using the preamp was wrong. Again, if I don't use a preamp I get fewer channels.

The 3 things I can suppose are:
1. I'm too low on the hill and in a signal hole.
2. The antenna is somehow bad.
3. The naval building across the bay is doing something.

Any other suggestions?
Old 4-Jun-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
No static at all

How far is the antenna above the roofline? Any metal nearby? Have you experimented with aim, or are you relying on a compass for aim? Can you possibly take a photo of the antenna where it is mounted?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jun-2013, 6:19 PM   #9
mbach

I've attached a couple photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antenna_front.jpg (284.5 KB, 652 views)
File Type: jpg Antenna_side.jpg (268.7 KB, 624 views)
Old 4-Jun-2013, 7:51 PM   #10
teleview

The operative word for the antenna at your location is-->Higher.

Higher as in-->Higher above ground.

Up High.

Here is a Higher antenna mount , install above the High part of the roof. http://www.ronard.com/Tripods%200703/4712.html.

The -->Only Way<-- to find how much reception is improved is to install the antenna-->Up Higher above ground.

Last edited by teleview; 5-Jun-2013 at 3:49 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.