TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Apr-2013, 4:58 PM   #1
JHCB

Question San Diego Reception Help

I am trying to get the local network channels in San Diego. Based on the analysis from tvfool, an indoor antenna should be adequate. I purchased a Mohu Leaf and got all of the channels coming from the south (KUSI, KPBS, NBC, Fox, and several stations from Tijuana). I am not getting KFMB or ABC. They are channels 8.1 and 10.1. Their towers are also north west of me.

I would like to get all of the channels. I am not too far away from either. I would prefer not putting an antenna on my roof. I prefer the attic. I am north facing in an older stucco home with composite roof. I do have my heater and duct work in the attic. The primary tv will be just a few feet below the antenna. A second tv would be about 20 feet away.

Just looking for ideas on the best way I can get these channels.

I am north of Montezuma Rd between El Cajon and College Av in 92115.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda85fc187a78

Thanks
Jason

Thanks
Jason
JHCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Apr-2013, 5:01 PM   #2
JHCB

I should add that I have been reading about the RCA ANT751R. It is getting really good reviews and claims to get both UHF/VHF channels from 50 miles away. I am less than 20 from the two tower areas in San Diego. Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 20-Apr-2013, 7:10 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

As you have seen, the Leaf lacks support for VHF signals.

An ANT-751 would be viable if not blocked by roof and duct-work. You attic does not sound like a reception friendly location but there's no harm for trying.

If you can not or will not consider outdoor mounting you may have to try several antennas... In a bad attic, even an HD7698P may fail to perform.

If we were neighbors, you'd see a mast on my roof, with an Antennas Direct DB4e facing about 145° and an Antennacraft Y5713 or Y10713 pointed at 281°.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Apr-2013, 8:32 PM   #4
psa64

92116: What I've learned

JHCB:

I'm close to you (92116) and have two TVs, each with separate antenna:

Winegard HD7698P at 40' above ground with rotor: I get all SD/Tijuana/Tecate stations plus, depending on atmospheric conditions (barometer), (from LA) 2.1-2, 5.1-3, 7.1-3 (if analog KZTC-LP-7 is off the air, which it has been for last couple of weeks; good riddance...since same Fox.Mundo available in digital on 49.2), 11.1-2, 13.1-2, 30.1-4, 58.1-4, and 63.1-8. As a bonus, sometimes, 4.1-2, 24.1-4, 50.1-4, and 52.1-2.

RCA ANT1650R: Our second set, in kitchen, is attached to an RCA "indoor" antenna which we have placed outside under an overhang to avoid the elements, but just four feet off ground...and get all SD/TJ/Tecate except 3.1 (XHTJB), although analog (e.g., 35 UCSD-TV) not really watchable as it is on other set with Winegard. We found that positioning inside was always challenging, with 8.1-2 and 10+ most problematic.

Best wishes!
psa64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Apr-2013, 3:39 PM   #5
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHCB View Post
I am trying to get the local network channels in San Diego.

Thanks
Jason
The one antenna ideal for San Diego is the Winegard HD 1080.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/hd-1080.pdf

It's VHF pattern is backwards from the UHF pattern, which is exactly what you need. You can try it in the attic.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2013, 4:13 PM   #6
JHCB

Thank you for the info. Given the price, I will give the HD-1080 a try. Since the UHF stations come in strong. Right now, they are coming in strong with just the coaxial cable sticking out the back of the tv. Should I point the HD-1080 toward the VHF stations (281° according to GroundUrMast)?
Thanks all for the advice!
Jason
Old 23-Apr-2013, 4:58 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Point the HD1080 AWAY from La Jolla since it's VHF reception is best off the back.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Point the HD1080 AWAY from La Jolla since it's VHF reception is best off the back.
That's right!
Old 1-May-2013, 1:59 AM   #9
JHCB

Ok. So I got the winegard HD1080. Back of antenna is facing la jolla for the VHF stations (8 and 10). I now get 10 where I didn't before but still can't seem to get 8 which is in the same location. 10 comes in but does show a little pixelation every so often. The UHF stations still come in strong. Any more ideas?
Old 1-May-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHCB View Post
I now get 10 where I didn't before but still can't seem to get 8 which is in the same location. Any more ideas?
Your next problem is extremely strong FM stations. There are 4 50 KW stations between 3 and 4 miles from you. I'd try this FM filter; http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...on_filter.html
Old 1-May-2013, 2:24 PM   #11
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

If the FM filter doesn't do the trick (they're also available locally at Radio Shack), then you'll have to "up your game" for VHF reception. For customers in your general area with terrain blockage towards La Jolla, I usually recommend our ClearStream 5 used by itself and aimed at La Jolla. It should pick up the UHF from both San Miguel and Tijuana just fine.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-May-2013, 11:33 PM   #12
JHCB

Ok. So I installed the winegard hd1080 on a short mast on the eave of my house. I get all the San Diego local network channels plus a bunch of channels from Tijuana. Oddly, I also get KTTV and KCOP from Los Angeles. I don't get CW but I am not too concerned about that. I guess it is on a third location in Tijuana.

My next question is do I need to ground the antenna? And if so, what is suggested? My antenna is mounted on my eave. All total, it is maybe 12 feet off the ground. While I was on the roof, I looked at my DirecTV dish and I am not sure it is grounded. There is a white wire running with the coax from the dish to the eave and then just coils in a circle, not attached to anything. I appreciate any suggestions on what should be done with respect to grounding. Thank you. Jason
Old 5-May-2013, 6:03 AM   #13
GroundUrMast

Grounding the mast and coax is usually a simple and inexpensive project. Here's my take on the subject along with a few other comments and questions, http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901
Old 7-May-2013, 6:20 PM   #14
JHCB

Thank you for the information on grounding. One more question on grounding: How far can I run the 6 or 8 gauge wire? My antenna and where the line enters the house is on the opposite side of my electrical panel box and ground rod. My house is just about completely surrounded by concrete. There is a cold water spigot about 15 feet away in a straight line (acorss the roof, which I guess is not a good idea). If I follow the eaves around it is probably 30 - 50 feet away. Thanks in advance for your good ideas!

I have one last question and my installation should be complete.

I currently have a DirecTV system (soon to be gone!). They ran coax to my TVs in a nice clean fashion; under the eaves and into the walls, etc. It says R6 on the cable. Can I take advantage of these materials and labor I already paid for? There is some sort of splitter (Zinwell Multiswitch) that goes from the dish out to the three rooms where I presently have boxes/tvs. Can I use it? Or, put a proper splitter in its place and utilize the cable lines that have already been run? Again, Thanks! Jason
Old 8-May-2013, 1:36 AM   #15
GroundUrMast

You can run the mast ground as far as needed. Use at least a #10 AWG copper conductor. (#8 & #6 are larger and can be used as well... they're going to be more expensive options as a result.)

Hopefully, the existing satellite system coax is already grounded, ideally within a few feet of where it enters the building. If not, then the ideal solution is to locate the grounding block outside, close to the electrical service ground, thus allowing you to use a short length (less than 10' total) of #10 AWG copper to connect the grounding block to the existing electrical service ground. I would even go so far as to run coax from the antenna to the area near the electrical service... coax is less expensive and easier to work with than #6 copper. If you choose to install a new ground rod close to the antenna, it should be bonded to the existing electrical service ground with no less than a #6 AWG copper conductor.

The multi-switch is a satellite system only device. It needs to be removed and replaced with a splitter.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')