TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 13-Apr-2014, 3:17 PM   #1
In the dark
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
Just getting started

Good morning all,
As you can see I'm new but for years have played off and on with outdoor antennas and am now looking at making a comeback again. I put my CM-3671 no amp up last night on a 10' mast in the front yard as a start pointed northeast, no rotor but have a dandy for final height. I am looking to try for the Twin Cities, am I nuts? I am looking for advice/help on amps, height for what can realistically be accomplished. Thank you in advance! I tried to post my location and it looks like I need help with this also.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b9456b33a5ed1

Last edited by In the dark; 13-Apr-2014 at 4:45 PM.
In the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2014, 4:06 PM   #2
teleview
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
+=>

One way to make a tvfool radar report and channel list is.

Go to the tvfool home page and click on , >>Start MAPS<< .

Enter in your zip code.

Click on the , Map this , button.

Move the pointer to your Exact location.

Enter in 25 feet antenna height above ground.

Click on , Make Radar Plot , button .

On a piece of paper copy the information in the , Address Bar , at the top of the computer screen.

The Address Bar starts with , http://

Return to your tvfool post.

Click on the , Blue Circle with the Double Link Chain.

Enter the information you copied from the Address Bar on to a Piece of Paper in to the box that appears after you click on the blue circle with the double link chain.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2014, 7:09 PM   #3
In the dark
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
Thank you!

I did a couple of things in the mean time, these smart phones really are smart, I down loaded a compass to check direction and if I wasn't worried about being washed away with the rain were getting right now I'd go check it. I also down loaded an altimeter, it shows I'm 1488' above sea level, probably the highest location around the lake and local area so enough of that I'll get started on what you suggested and go from there. Thanks
In the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2014, 7:25 PM   #4
GroundUrMast
Moderator
 
GroundUrMast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Posts: 4,773
The MSP stations are too far away to offer any hope for reliable reception. A large antenna system may occasionally give you some reception from there, but only when the atmospheric conditions are just right.

The signals from Rochester are much more accessible. I'd use an Antennacraft HBU-44 + an RCA TVPRAMP1R. Start with the antenna pointed toward the NE. If your TV has a signal strength meter, you can use it to optimize the aim.

I'd mount outdoors in a location that is not blocked by trees or any part of a building.
__________________
If the well is dry and you don't see rain on the horizon, you'll need to dig the hole deeper. (If the antenna can't get the job done, an amp won't fix it.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2014, 7:49 PM   #5
In the dark
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
At this time I am unable to do a radar plot map, I will try later.

Here we go, I think!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94e32cf42163

Last edited by In the dark; 13-Apr-2014 at 8:36 PM.
In the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2014, 8:56 PM   #6
In the dark
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
The MSP stations are too far away to offer any hope for reliable reception. A large antenna system may occasionally give you some reception from there, but only when the atmospheric conditions are just right.

The signals from Rochester are much more accessible. I'd use an Antennacraft HBU-44 + an RCA TVPRAMP1R. Start with the antenna pointed toward the NE. If your TV has a signal strength meter, you can use it to optimize the aim.

I'd mount outdoors in a location that is not blocked by trees or any part of a building.
I checked out the Antennacraft, is there that much difference between my CM and that one? If I stay with my CM will it work well with the RCA amp? Thanks.
In the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2014, 9:31 PM   #7
GroundUrMast
Moderator
 
GroundUrMast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Posts: 4,773
Certainly try the antenna you already have. I should have prefaced my recommendation with, "If you were starting from scratch, ...".
__________________
If the well is dry and you don't see rain on the horizon, you'll need to dig the hole deeper. (If the antenna can't get the job done, an amp won't fix it.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2014, 9:50 PM   #8
In the dark
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
The MSP stations are too far away to offer any hope for reliable reception. A large antenna system may occasionally give you some reception from there, but only when the atmospheric conditions are just right.

The signals from Rochester are much more accessible. I'd use an Antennacraft HBU-44 + an RCA TVPRAMP1R. Start with the antenna pointed toward the NE. If your TV has a signal strength meter, you can use it to optimize the aim.

I'd mount outdoors in a location that is not blocked by trees or any part of a building.
I checked out the Antennacraft, is there that much difference between my CM and that one? If I stay with my CM will it work well with the RCA amp? Thanks.
In the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2014, 8:10 AM   #9
teleview
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
+=>

Install the CM3671 antenna above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , North East , West South West.

Aim the CM3671 antenna at about 50 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a cell phone compass.

-------------------------

Install a CM7778 preamplifier.

http://www.channelmasterstore.com.

http://www.amazon.com.

-------------------------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D and HFS-3D , splitters at , http://www.hollandelectronics.com , or , http://www.amazon.com.

------------------------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

http://www.ronard.com/909911.html.
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html.
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html.
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

http://www.ronard.com.


------------------------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.


------------------------

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels.

Often named the ~ Antenna Channels ~ ATSC Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv Setup Menu Because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for only Analog tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select and channel scan for the , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2014, 5:11 PM   #10
GroundUrMast
Moderator
 
GroundUrMast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Posts: 4,773
Quote:
I checked out the Antennacraft, is there that much difference between my CM and that one? If I stay with my CM will it work well with the RCA amp? Thanks.
The CM-3671 has elements for the L-VHF band (real channels 2 through 6 and the FM radio band). The HBU series antennas omit the L-VHF capability. When there is no L-VHF signal to receive, it seems more reasonable to use antenna that has the capability you actually need. However, you own the CM-3671, so use it.

Another thought, you reduce the chance of interference a small amount when you use an antenna that is sensitive only in the frequency range(s) you are trying to receive.

If you already own the RCA preamp, there's no point in spending more money on a CM-7778 or other preamp. The RCA will do quite well and matches up to any non amplified consumer grade TV antenna.
__________________
If the well is dry and you don't see rain on the horizon, you'll need to dig the hole deeper. (If the antenna can't get the job done, an amp won't fix it.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 14-Apr-2014 at 5:15 PM. Reason: quoted OP's ?
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2014, 6:33 PM   #11
In the dark
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
+=>

Install the CM3671 antenna above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , North East , West South West.

Aim the CM3671 antenna at about 50 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a cell phone compass.

-------------------------

Install a CM7778 preamplifier.

http://www.channelmasterstore.com.

http://www.amazon.com.

-------------------------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D and HFS-3D , splitters at , http://www.hollandelectronics.com , or , http://www.amazon.com.

------------------------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

http://www.ronard.com/909911.html.
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html.
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html.
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

http://www.ronard.com.


------------------------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.


------------------------

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels.

Often named the ~ Antenna Channels ~ ATSC Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv Setup Menu Because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for only Analog tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select and channel scan for the , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels.
Thank you for the help, I knew someone made a quality tri-pod!
In the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2014, 6:39 PM   #12
In the dark
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
The CM-3671 has elements for the L-VHF band (real channels 2 through 6 and the FM radio band). The HBU series antennas omit the L-VHF capability. When there is no L-VHF signal to receive, it seems more reasonable to use antenna that has the capability you actually need. However, you own the CM-3671, so use it.

Another thought, you reduce the chance of interference a small amount when you use an antenna that is sensitive only in the frequency range(s) you are trying to receive.

If you already own the RCA preamp, there's no point in spending more money on a CM-7778 or other preamp. The RCA will do quite well and matches up to any non amplified consumer grade TV antenna.
Thanks for the help, no I don't own the RCA amp, it's what you suggested in your first post so I am going to get the CM7778. Do they have them at Wally world? I did want to let you know I pointed the antenna south still at 10' height and no amp and picked up 5.1 and 5.2 in Ames! According to my map that's almost 90 miles! I'm sure our elevation is a big plus.
In the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2014, 6:19 AM   #13
teleview
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
+=>

Yes is OK to have and use the CM3671 All channel antenna that receives All 3 channel bands.

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

----------------

Yes is Ok to aim the CM3671 All channel antenna to the south and receive WOI-DT channel 5 , ABC.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2014, 5:05 PM   #14
GroundUrMast
Moderator
 
GroundUrMast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Posts: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the dark View Post
Thanks for the help, no I don't own the RCA amp, it's what you suggested in your first post so I am going to get the CM7778. Do they have them at Wally world? I did want to let you know I pointed the antenna south still at 10' height and no amp and picked up 5.1 and 5.2 in Ames! According to my map that's almost 90 miles! I'm sure our elevation is a big plus.
Then I need to stand corrected. If you are receiving WOI, real CH-5 reliably, you're doing better than expected. Are you able to receive the signals from the NE at the same time?


If not, but you wish to receive both directions, you may want to consider a two antenna system, http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882.

An HBU-44 or HBU-55 aimed NE plus the CM-3671 aimed south.
__________________
If the well is dry and you don't see rain on the horizon, you'll need to dig the hole deeper. (If the antenna can't get the job done, an amp won't fix it.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2014, 9:04 PM   #15
graywolf121357
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
This is new

I am new to this all. but would like to try get some info. on tv antennas for me to try. this is my http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94a9c27099bd
Would appreciate any help. Thanks
graywolf121357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2014, 2:25 PM   #16
In the dark
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
Last nite I retuned the tv and went up to 18 channels so I scanned through them and found 17.1 & 2 I believe in Des Moines also with the antenna pointing south I was able to pick-up 47.1 & 2 in Rochester off the back side. Went shopping for CM-7778 and will have to do it online. It seems it just works better each day it's up and I know that will stop soon but it's fun now!
In the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2014, 7:04 PM   #17
teleview
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
+=>

The CM3671 antenna and preamplifier can be used for reception of the South group of Tv stations.

Directional Tv antennas such as and not limited to the CM3671 antenna receive the best in the forward direction

A little less at front angles to the antenna

Less at back angles to the antenna

Less at the back of the antenna.

With the CM3671 antenna aimed to the south , that will put the Tv stations to the , West and North East at angles to the antenna.


KAAL , ABC has 2 Tv transmitters , KAAL Real UHF channel 33 at 266 degree magnetic compass direction and KAAL at 50 degree magnetic compass direction.

If KAAL at 266 degree magnetic compass direction is not received well because it is more on the side of the antenna with the antenna aimed to the south , then the other KAAL will be received at the back angle to the antenna.

If all of the Tv Stations in the Green and Yellow reception zones in the directions of West and North East are not received by the CM3671 antenna aimed South , I think the Tv stations will be.

Then a Second antenna can be installed for reception of the Tv stations to the , West and North East.

A Much Smaller antenna will receive Stronger Signal Strength the Tv stations to the West and North East.

Install a , http://www.antennacraft.net.

HBU11K antenna aimed at about 50 degree magnetic compass direction.

The HBU11K antenna and coaxes and splitters will be a Separate antenna

system that is not connected to the CM3671 antenna or antenna system.

Coaxes and and splitters of the 2 Separate antenna systems will go to each Tv location.

A Tv Tuner for the HBU11K antenna system will be at each Tv location.

Here are Tuner / Recorders , http://www.epvision.com.

Last edited by teleview; 16-Apr-2014 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2014, 7:29 PM   #18
GroundUrMast
Moderator
 
GroundUrMast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Posts: 4,773
The RCA TVPRAMP1R is just as capable as the CM-7778, and quite competitively priced.
__________________
If the well is dry and you don't see rain on the horizon, you'll need to dig the hole deeper. (If the antenna can't get the job done, an amp won't fix it.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2014, 10:26 PM   #19
graywolf121357
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Thanks for the information. Have been looking all over the place, trying to get as much info as i could. didn't even know about the HBU11K antenna. Thanks so much. Can all ways use as much info as i can get.
graywolf121357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Apr-2014, 1:21 PM   #20
In the dark
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
Searching 6 local stores and a Home Depot in Mpls. I found 1 RCA amp. They all say they stock them but I don't think there updating there web sites for certain items A-HEM.

I was going to order online a 7778 and that looked to take time so as a last ditch effort I called an old friend in Mason City. Herb & George radio, Daryl has been doing this longer than I can remember so I ordered it from him and he's going to DELIVER it!

I told him what antenna I had bought and he said my god that's a big one and I replied Daryl have you ever known me to do something small? He said no, so I am going to work with him also and see what he's got buried in his shop that will make this work even better.
In the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 8:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © TV Fool, LLC