TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Apr-2011, 4:08 PM   #1
goincoastal

Dropping cable in Ocala, FL ,need antenna help

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d176c3f93d3c5

Any suggestions for an antenna setup for me to replace Cox cable with?

Thanks, Jared
goincoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Apr-2011, 4:36 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

According to rabbitears.com, at least a couple of stations broadcast two networks. That means you can get a full network line-up without resorting to the largest antenna combination's.

A Winegard HD7694P and Channel Master CM9521 rotator will receive the stations down into at least the upper half of the red section of your TVF report. I'm not inclined to recommend an amplifier.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Apr-2011, 5:07 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You can now get all the networks in the Gainesville/Ocala area with a 2 or 4-bay UHF antenna thanks to translators . There's a good chance you can find one aiming point that makes all the stations happy reception-wise, otherwise a rotor may be added to fine tune aiming.

If you want to go for the original stations, a much larger system with a rotor would be required. It all depends on what your wants, needs, and budget come out to be.

BTW, any idea what kind of content the local school district transmits on channel 7? I didn't include it in my suggestion since it sounded a bit specialized.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Apr-2011, 7:24 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Quote:
...If you want to go for the original stations, a much larger system with a rotor would be required...
Often, the secondary and almost always any additional sub-channels will be in 480i resolution (a few exceptions exist). If you want to receive as much HD (720p & 1080i) content as possible, you would have a reason to consider building a large high gain system. Resources such as rabbit-ears.com can help you find out what is on the virtual channels.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Apr-2011, 4:45 PM   #5
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

I suggest a All Channel Winegard HD7084P antenna pointed at about 326 magnetic compass for the reception of Real channel 5 . Read and understand this about , Real digital Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Tv Channels , Analog Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 . . All channels are , VHF Low 2 thru 6 , VHF High 7 thru 13 , UHF 14 thru 69.

Last edited by John Candle; 4-Apr-2011 at 8:08 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Apr-2011, 5:21 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Sigh...

The channel on VHF 5 is a translator for WUFT, which is readily receivable on it's primary local UHF channel at this location.

The entry for channel 4 is for an as yet unbuilt translator for WTSP. CBS' programming is readily receivable on UHF 28 (WGFL). As the 7084 exhibits greater that -20 dB gain at 120 degrees off bore-site, an aim of 326 irrelevant for this signal.

There is no need for an all-channel antenna in Ocala.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Apr-2011, 6:55 PM   #7
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Attn. goincoastal , when communicating new information please continue this original post by clicking on Post Reply , it will be updated and every one will see it. This way every one will see the previous information.

Last edited by John Candle; 3-Apr-2011 at 6:58 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Apr-2011, 12:54 AM   #8
goincoastal

Thanks for all the responses.

I ended up going to Best Buy and picking up a Clearmaster 4,because I wanted to make sure we would be able to get some reception before ordering something that would be more difficult to return.

I have it pointed at around 315° mounted to my chimney.

We can get 13 channels pretty clearly,and turned our Cox cable box in today, which will save about $100 per month!

Thanks again, Jared
goincoastal is offline   Reply With Quote