TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Aug-2014, 4:25 PM   #1
Ursidae

Antenna advice

It looks like I'm in a great area for getting OTA and I'm really wanting to try it out. I'm looking to get ABC/NBC/CBS and CW. From the report it looks like these are all pretty close in the same direction. Do you guys think I would be OK with an indoor antenna like a Leaf or something? I haven't tried this before so I'm really unfamiliar with antennas.

Here is my signal analysis. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6e3a34f52dc
Ursidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Aug-2014, 5:13 PM   #2
stvcmty

The plot you provided is only resolved to the bock level. Assuming it is accurate of your location:

In general, I am against indoor antennas. If you are dead set on an indoor antenna, A leaf may work for the group of stations between 60 degrees true and 63 degrees true, depending on how high you put it, what wall it is on, what direction it faces, what your house is made of, what is near your house, and any other signal blocking considerations. The signals in the linked plot are very good, so do not get an amplified antenna. You have VHF-high stations, so I would not consider a leaf antenna for the group of stations between 115 degrees true and 149 degrees true. For those stations, I would look at a Terk HDTVi antenna.

When the FCC was figuring out coverage for stations post digital transition, they assumed people would have moderate gain outdoor antennas 30’ in the air. So as long as there is a safe way to put up an outdoor antenna, I would always recommend putting one up. HOA’s can only limit antenna installs in very specific situations, the FCC protects your right to put up antennas for TV reception. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/installing...tellite-dishes

At the block level, you have very good reception conditions. If I lived at that plot, on my roof on a 12’ tall combination of a pole and tripod I would get 2 HBU22’s, point one at the group of stations between 115 degrees true and 149 degrees true, point the other at the group of stations between 60 degrees true and 63 degrees true and use an AB switch or the TV’s tuner and a separate OTA tuner at the TV to switch between the two groups of stations.
stvcmty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Aug-2014, 5:29 PM   #3
Ursidae

Yeah I couldn't figure out how to get it resolve any better than the block level.

It is a house and I think we could probably put up an outdoor antenna if we needed to. I will have to look into it. Thanks for much for the info and advice!
Ursidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Aug-2014, 5:48 PM   #4
tomfoolery

Use the >> Start MAPS << button on the right side of the home page, drag the icon to your chimney (use the satellite view if it helps), set the elevation to 25 ft, then hit 'Make Radar Plot >>' at the top-right of the map to create the radar plot.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Aug-2014, 9:12 PM   #5
teleview

+=>

If the tvfool report that is resolved to block level only , not the Exact address is also correct for your reception location.

Then.

-->A Simple Reception Situation.<--

Above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the , attic , roof , building , in the directions of , South East , East , North East , North , North West.

Install a ,

http://www.antennacraft.net.

HBU11K antenna aimed at about , 120 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas ,

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a , cell phone , tablet and etc. compass.

-------------------------

A antenna system amplifier is not required.

A antenna rotator is not required.