TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Oct-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
mazy

Thumbs up reception bad here !

We just moved to Yorba Linda, CA to a single story house and the reception here is non existant- none ( mountain few blocks away ) The indoor rabbit ears were fine in old address - so long rabbit ears. I need your help on what to do with antenna selection and placement. My head is going to explode with all the antennas out there. i dont mind paying some bucks for a good antenna if it will get me the reception.

out of curiosity i went out and bought a amp rabbit ears and placed it outside in the general direction of most stations and i was able to pick up one channel after playing around with height a bit. it picked up KDOC.

I am just looking for the basic channels and one or two PBS channels:
KTLA, KDOC, KNBC, KOCE, KABC, KCAL, KTTV KCOP, KCBS All in the 308/307 deg Azimuth compass direction.

We have a huge attic; I could install there or I could go outdoor on the chimney.
Help.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cef30dffa4964a
mazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Oct-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

As your test has shown, there is some signal available but a small antenna is not enough.

If it was my money being spent, I would choose a big UHF like a 91XG http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=853748001910

a big VHF like a YA1713 http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=853748001910

and a pre-amp like a CM-7777 http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...ku=02057207774

I would mount outside as high as possible and go into the project knowing that because of the '2edge' path that every signal has to travel, some channels may not work and others may be less than 100% reliable.

I don't work for SolidSignal but their web site is very good about providing specs.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 22-Oct-2010 at 11:32 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Oct-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
John Candle

Tv Reception

Using the zip code as the satellite position locator shows good reception. If you will provide a exact address , we can zoom in for a close look for a better idea what to do.

Last edited by John Candle; 22-Oct-2010 at 11:47 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2010, 2:02 AM   #4
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
He provided an exact address to TVFool! What he posted is a good TVFool.com report for his location!
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-2010, 4:02 AM   #5
John Candle

Tv Reception

You know as well as I do Tigerbangs that there is more to it. With an exact address to go to it is possible to have a look around and see exactly what the situation is. You know as well as I do that it is some times possible to receive reflected signals off of close by mountain sides. You know as well as I do that it is some times possible to adj. the antenna different ways from normal so as to receive the television transmissions. You are with holding information because you know that the question asker does not know any better. Mazy I will help you if possible to find a way to receive broadcast digital television.

Last edited by John Candle; 23-Oct-2010 at 6:13 AM.
Old 24-Oct-2010, 3:15 PM   #6
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

I know no such thing: and I have desire to invade the poster's privacy, either. As for what the poster needs, he needs a deep-fringe antenna system mounted on his roof, and here is the recipe for success:

An AntennasDirect XG-91 UHF antenna
A Winegard YA-1713 or AntennaCraft Y-10-7-13 VHF high-band antenna
A Channel Master Titan 7777 dual input preamplifier

Install the system on a single mast, with the UHF antenna on top of the VHF antenna, separated by at least 4' vertically on the mast. Connect the output of each antenna to the correct input on the preamplifier, then run the output of the preamp to it's power supply, which must be mounted indoors. If desired, you can add a passive splitter after the preamp power supply, which will allow you to power 4 or more TV sets from the same antenna system. Be sure to aim the antennas at 307 degrees, as measured by your compass. You WILL see all the major LA stations when you complete the installation.
Old 25-Oct-2010, 8:59 PM   #7
Tower Guy

Generally, Tigerbangs is correct.

Whenever there is a reception problem I look at the FMfool report for that location. With an exact address it's easy to enter the data. Without an address I work backwards using the online TV maps to get coordinates and using the coordinates lookup the FMfool report. It takes a few minutes to reverse engineer the location as 33.882922, -117.721467. It could be any of several houses at the end of the cul de sac. There is no terrain or foliage to change the suggested antenna scheme.

In this case the strongest FM station is roughly 40 db stronger than the TV stations. With no low band TV antenna, the FM stations should be no problem for the 7777 amplifier.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Oct-2010, 4:03 PM   #8
mazy

in thedark

Gentlemen, you are a tremendous help! I ordered the famous 91XG and will order the Winegard YA-1713 ( still wondering whats the difference between that and the Y-10-7-13 Antenna Craft) Although i am wondering if i will need either for channel 7 to 13 maybe the 91XG will pick them up. Still debating on weather to leave out the amp or not. I hope i can get all this up and running ; for now we are reception-less.
Old 26-Oct-2010, 4:37 PM   #9
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazy View Post
still wondering whats the difference between that and the Y-10-7-13 Antenna Craft
The YA-1713 is shorter, has a 75 ohm weatherproof connector & is usually less expensive. Never used the Antennacraft, but performance is said to be pretty much the same.

Quote:
for channel 7 to 13 maybe the 91XG will pick them up.
I seriously doubt the 91XG would pick up those stations reliably.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Oct-2010, 4:41 PM   #10
No static at all

Quote:
Still debating on weather to leave out the amp or not.
You will likely have improved reliability with a preamp even if only running one TV.
Old 26-Oct-2010, 7:39 PM   #11
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

The AntennaCraft Y-10-7-13 is a very good antenna, however it is NOT provided with a 300-75 ohm matching transformer, so you must remember to add one when ordering that antenna. I have always used the Channel Master 0089/0090 matching transformers with excellent luck.
Old 26-Oct-2010, 8:01 PM   #12
Tower Guy

Quote:
Although i am wondering if i will need either for channel 7 to 13 maybe the 91XG will pick them up. Still debating on weather to leave out the amp or not.
Wonder no longer, the 91XG won't get any VHF for you and will need a preamp to work on UHF.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Nov-2010, 4:23 PM   #13
mazy

got the xg91 fedex package on saturday from solidsignal. easy assembly . probably will get Y-10-7-13 and the cm7777 shipment this week. To stiffen up things up a little with the xg91. i took the two corner reflectors (black grided grills) tied them toghether where they almost touch- hopefully that is not a performance mod (maybe a stiffer bird perch) For mounting , getting a radio shack gable kit- seems like the most suitable location; will feed the wires directily into attic through gable vent. all the cables are in attic-perfect! questions going through my mind; (1) does antenna need any horizontal tilting ? (2) can i get FM signal from these antennas? Originally, I wasnt thinking too much about FM ; mainly wanted TV signal. Hopefullly this set up will overcome the hills in my area.

Last edited by mazy; 1-Nov-2010 at 4:31 PM.
Old 1-Nov-2010, 8:32 PM   #14
No static at all

Quote:
(1) does antenna need any horizontal tilting ?
A slight tilt upward can improve reliability of problem stations, especially if you have hills in the way. I usually end up using the first notch of the tilt mechanism.

Quote:
(2) can i get FM signal from these antennas? Originally, I wasnt thinking too much about FM ; mainly wanted TV signal. Hopefullly this set up will overcome the hills in my area.
Neither of the antennas are very good with FM, which is actually a plus for you since your TV stations are on the weak side. If you desire FM, I would suggest an inexpensive FM only antenna with a separate cable run to the receiver from the antenna. You will generally get the best results if you keep TV & FM separate in weak signal areas.
Old 8-Dec-2010, 3:33 AM   #15
mazy

channel 31 and 36

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cef30dffa4964a

DONE !

91XG
AntennaCraft Y-10-7-13
CM7777
10' pole (eave mounted @ roof peak) 5' UHF & VHF seperation.

i am having reception problem with two stations;
31 and 36 are not doing too well; one has no signal and other very weak. other than that i am getting solid signals on all the major channels; 7,9,11,13 & 43.
what do i need to do to get 31 (KTLA) and 36 (NBC)?
Maybe it's because the 91XG is more tuned to higher chanells?
Old 8-Dec-2010, 3:55 AM   #16
rickcain

If anybody's scared of posting their address, here's a tip....post a neighbor's address instead. They may be only 200 feet away from your house but you retain your anonymity, the antenna direction angles don't change significantly and if there's a psycho stalker on here, he will end up busting down the wrong door.
rickcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Dec-2010, 4:15 AM   #17
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

If you choose not to use a exact address right up front for every one to see. Going beyond the Tv fool report and stating the address in your information. If there is a empty lot close by or if a grave yard is close by or __________ and or ___________.

Last edited by John Candle; 8-Dec-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 8-Dec-2010, 5:27 AM   #18
John Candle

Are real channels 39 , 33 , 18 , 35 , 38 being received ? ........ If not already so , put the UHF antenna on top. Get the UHF antenna free and clear. Adj. the length of the UHF antenna so that it is inline with just above the top of the hill. Defraction of tv transmissions are not evenly distributed , there are hot spots and cool spots. Might have to move the antenna around , looking for a hot spot. Might have to put the antenna on a separate mount at a different location. In Tv reception , radio reception , amature reception language it's called 'walking the roof'. However the best spot for reception may not be the roof. Could be on the side of the house or some where in the yard at different heights to find a good spot.

Last edited by John Candle; 8-Dec-2010 at 7:46 AM.
Old 8-Dec-2010, 11:05 AM   #19
Dave Loudin

Folks, we can't see your address in the TVFool reports.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Dec-2010, 11:38 AM   #20
John Candle

Dave Loudin is correct , the Tv fool reports do not show your address.