TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Jan-2011, 4:28 PM   #1
tarq476

Roof Antenna Install

I'm looking to drop my Dish service and go exclusively with OTA soon. I've been devouring as much information as possible from your posts here, but I thought some experts could help out with my specific situation:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4bf86c10ab6

I'm able to pick up CBS, ABC, FOX, and a few minors stations pretty clearly with a cheap indoor antenna. By the looks of my report, do you think I'd be able to pick up NBC and CW with a rooftop antenna? I think all of my stations are in roughly the same direction (within 3 deg), but I'm not an expert with reading the report.

Have most of you here installed your own antennas on the roof or do most opt for professional installation? I'm fairly tech savvy and I've dealt with my cables outside before to fix things, but I've never done a full antenna installation. Is there a detailed tutorial you would recommend for someone trying it for the first time? Will I be able to hook the coax directly to my outside cable box and split it through 3 TVs in my house?

Any specific equipment recommendations you would have for my situation?

Thanks for any expertise you can provide!
tarq476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2011, 6:31 PM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarq476 View Post
By the looks of my report, do you think I'd be able to pick up NBC and CW with a rooftop antenna? I think all of my stations are in roughly the same direction (within 3 deg), but I'm not an expert with reading the report.
Yes a rooftop antenna will get all of them;

Consider a HBU-33 or HD 7694P.

Here's the Channel Master installation guide, starting with page 4. Pages 1-3 are antenna selection. Ignore the part about walking the roof, you shouldn't need to bother.

http://www.starkelectronic.com/cmig4.htm
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
tarq476

Thanks for this advice, I'm thinking about the HD 7694P. What typically ships with the antenna. Can I assume I'll also need to order a mast at the same time? Any other gear?

Also I currently have a dish mounted on my roof with cable running to my cable hub. Is there a way to use that mount and cable that's already in that position for this new antenna? Or is it recommended to do an entirely new mount?

Thanks again.
Old 24-Jan-2011, 6:30 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

The HD7694P will not include a mast, it will simply be a complete antenna, ready to connect to coax (none included).

Many satellite mounts will make an acceptable antenna mount, though low, which may have you pointing the antenna into the roof or adjacent building. If the existing mount is on the south side of the house you may have to install a new mast to get up, above the roof to let the antenna 'see' the NW horizon.

The coax in place may still be serviceable if water has not been allowed in the ends. If you suspect the coax is near the end of it's life expectancy, replace it with RG-6 or RG-6/U - you do not need quad-shield for over the air service. Some of the splitters and most if not all of the switches used in satellite reception will not be useful for over the air reception. You should plan on getting a passive splitter designed for OTA/CATV frequencies (5 MHz to 1000 MHz) if you have multiple sets.

TG's link to install instructions leads to multiple pages, be sure to follow the "next" link to read though all of the information, many of your questions are answered (even some you may not have thought of yet).

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 24-Jan-2011 at 6:11 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2011, 4:07 PM   #5
tarq476

Thanks for the post, solid signal recommended that I go with this mast:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Supplies&sku=

It's hard to know for sure, but is there a chance it would be compatible with the satellite mount on my roof?

If not, they recommended this 0010 tripod mount:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Supplies&sku=

Any opinions on this? I'll be getting up there soon to take a look for myself. I'd like to avoid putting more holes in my roof, but I realize this may not be possible.
Old 24-Jan-2011, 5:38 PM   #6
mtownsend

Do you have a chimney on your house? Chimney mounts (like the Channel Master 9067) are one way to avoid putting holes into the roof.

Another option is to use an eave (CM-9030) or wall mount (CM-9023) at the side of the house instead of going through the roofing material.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2011, 9:45 PM   #7
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarq476 View Post
If not, they recommended this 0010 tripod mount:

Any opinions on this? .
I prefer eave mounts or wall mounts below the eaves. Either avoids holes in the shingles.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Esteban

Avoid making any holes in the roof. They almost always will lead to big problems down the road. The above linked installation instructions are good. My Dish Sat. was on the end of the ridge & I was able to use its mount to install my antenna. Also, used the cable from it. Saved a lot of time. The mast, or a piece of pipe, can be used, or be adapted to the Dish mount. I think you will be quite happy with your reception !
SAFETY is the biggest concern. Have a helper. Do not install when roof is wet or it is windy ! Keep antenna & ladders away from all power lines !!!!!
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jan-2011, 12:20 AM   #9
tarq476

Thanks for the good recommendations. I am going to order the antenna, mast, and splitter and first attempt to use my current satellite mount. This would be easier and less intrusive, but the antenna will still be partly obstructed by the next house. I'm hoping I'll still get better reception than the indoor antenna, which is also blocked by the neighboring house.

If that doesn't work, I'll probably try to move up higher and use an eave mount like the CM-9030. Unfortunately I don't have a chimney, or I'd likely try that route.