TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Aug-2014, 3:24 PM   #1
Gashole

Cool Signal Strength and Splitter Question

Here's my report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f75822d9e6f

I have a ClearStream 5 antenna that I tested holding it on the ground (at 76 degrees) while scanning for stations. I was able to pick up 45 stations on my DLP TV. I have it installed on the roof but it's not positioned properly yet. I need to install a longer mast so it can clear the chimney.

Even still on my 32" LCD TV I was able to pick up 3 channels and they came in pretty clear. I tested on the line coming straight out of the antenna before the pre-amp, then right after the pre-amp and then at the junction box before any splitters. I was able to still pick up all 3 channels.

Using the same length cable as I used for the 32" LCD TV I was not able to pick up any channels on my DLP TV (the one I originally was able to pick up 45 channels with). Using a 2 output splitter I am not able to pick up any channels on any TV which leads me to believe my signal strength isn't strong enough. It should be stronger once the antenna is positioned to 76 degrees (right now it's around 145 degrees).

I'm thinking I need an amplifier and/or a power distribution splitter so I can get the stations on multiple TVs. Does anyone have any recommendations? We only have 2 TVs but eventually (years down the road) can have up to 4 or 5.
Gashole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Aug-2014, 3:29 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Identify the following:

Amplifier
Length of coax
Splitter in use
The layout of the cabling, amplifier, splitter, and power inserter for amp
Brand and model of 32" LCD TV
Brand and model # of DLP set
The 3 channels received

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Aug-2014, 4:14 PM   #3
Gashole

The pre-amp is a Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT Outdoor Digital TV Antenna Preamplifier (http://www.winegard.com/offair/amplifiers.php)

I have about 100' of RG6 cable run. I ran another segment of RG6 quad shield to the back of the DLP TV because I could get nothing on the RG59 segment on either TV. I know that cable works because we used to get our cable TV on it.

I have 2 splitters but neither are hooked up. One is an Antronix CMC3002H and the other is a CMC3004H. I could just barely get a signal out of the 2-way.

The channels I got were WCAU 10.1 (had the best picture) and I think WPPX-DT and WACP. I'm at work at the moment and can't check.

Here is the setup:

Antenna with LNA-200 mounted on the mast with about 30' of RG6 into the pre-amp. From there about 70' of cable to the distribution box and back to the TV. I can get a much better picture with a shorter cable from the distribution box. The extra 30 or so feet really diminish the picture.

Both TVs are Samsung. The DLP is an HL-S5687W made in Nov 2006 (I don't think it has a QAM tuner, whatever that is, but I was able to get 45 channels on it before so I don't think I need a digital converter) and the LCD is a LNT3242HX/XAA. The DLP seems to be much more sensitive to longer cable runs than the LCD (probably because the LCD is a year or two newer).
Old 20-Aug-2014, 7:43 PM   #4
ADTech

Where is the power inserter for the amp at?

Have you verified the correct coax connection for the 32" LCD (it has two)?

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 20-Aug-2014, 7:48 PM   #5
Gashole

I don't have an amplifier, just the pre-amp. That's what I need a recommendation for.

I plugged the Antenna into the AIR coax connection on both TVs and scanned for channels.
Old 20-Aug-2014, 8:46 PM   #6
ADTech

Quote:
I don't have an amplifier, just the pre-amp.
The pre-amp is a two piece unit - an outdoor amplifier module and the indoor power supply/inserter. They must be used together and you cannot interrupt the DC circuit between the amp and the inserter.

Old 20-Aug-2014, 8:58 PM   #7
Gashole

I have the antenna with LNA-200 mounted on the mast with about 30' of RG6 into the indoor, powered pre-amp.
Old 20-Aug-2014, 9:02 PM   #8
Gashole

From the Winegard link I sent earlier, the black box is mounted on the mast and the USB power injector is what I was calling the pre-amp. There is about 30' of RG6 between the black box and the power supply.
Old 21-Aug-2014, 5:39 AM   #9
teleview

+=>

As a Test to Prove Reception.

Install the Antennas Direct C5 antenna above the chimney.

Aim the Antennas Direct C5 antenna at about 90 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas.

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a , cell phone , tablet and etc. compass.

Most Digital Tv's have a Signal Strength Meter and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.

---------------------------

Connect a NEW Continues Length of Coax to the C5 antenna and run the NEW Continues Length of Coax through a open door or window Direct to 1 Tv.

No preamp.

No preamp power supply/power injector.

No couplers.

No splitters.

No etc. .

-------------------

The Tv Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , ATSC Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels , often named the ~ Antenna Channels ~ ATSC Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT Channel Scan for Cable Tv Channels.

A QAM tuner is for cable Tv channels.
Old 21-Aug-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
Gashole

Thank you for the response, teleview. I have already done that and can get channels. My question is when I get the antenna pointed in the correct direction what will I need to get the stations on multiple TVs? I'm on the edge of service so I will probably need an amplifier and/or power splitter.
Old 21-Aug-2014, 8:56 PM   #11
teleview

+=>

After the Testing of reception is done.

And more then 3 channels are received at this time of Testing and after the reception Testing is done.

(You said something about 45 channels).

----

A antenna system amplifier can be installed.

Install a.

http://www.antennacraft.net.

10G201 preamplifier.

----------------

And the Reception can also be Tested Without the antenna system amplifier.

When testing reception without the antenna system amplifier , All Parts of the amplifier must be disconnected and removed , Disconnect and remove the preamp unit , Disconnect and remove the power injector , Disconnect and remove the power supply.

----------------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-4D , 4 way splitter.

BHuy the , HFS-2D , HFS-3D , HFS-4D , splitters at , http://www.hollandelectronics.com , or , http://www.amazon.com.

-------------------------------

Here is Clear and Simple Truth.

Antenna System Amplifiers are Not Used to Compensate For Or Ram Tv Signals

Through , Defective coax , Defective connectors , Defective connections ,

Defective devices , and other Defectives.

Last edited by teleview; 24-Aug-2014 at 7:49 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 24-Aug-2014, 3:16 PM   #12
Gashole

Thank you! I will give this a shot and let you know how it goes.
Old 18-Nov-2014, 3:42 PM   #13
Gashole

So I have the antenna up on the roof now with 2 extensions to clear the chimney (about 40 feet up). I get about 52 channels now and most of them come in well. The only issue is the channels go in and out a lot. The signal strength fluctuates between 70% and 90%. I have the preamp on there as close as possible to the antenna (about 50 feet). Would an amplifier help with the channels cutting in and out?
Old 18-Nov-2014, 6:16 PM   #14
ADTech

Sounds like you already have an amplifier installed. One amp is usually correct, two amps are most often either unnecessary or a mistake.