TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Feb-2011, 2:09 PM   #1
chs

Audio dropping out

Hey Guys and Gals-

I cut off my cable a while back. I have been using an RCA ANT751 antenna located in my attic, connected directly into my digital TV without any splitters, etc. For the most part, I couldn't be happier with the results. However, on my FOX channel (#24.1), the audio pops or drops out every few seconds. With the super bowl coming up on this channel, the situation could prove a bit annoying!

Any suggestions would be welcome! I live in Charleston, SC : http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4aa1dca33bc

Thanks!
-chs
chs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Feb-2011, 4:20 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Does your tuner have an indication of signal quality or strength? If so is it fluctuating up and down or stable? Do you have an amplifier in the system?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 1-Feb-2011 at 4:35 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Feb-2011, 4:35 PM   #3
chs

Unfortunately, my tv doesn't show signal strength for the channels. And I don't have an amplifier - I have the antenna connected directly to the TV.

I believe that this FOX channel is broadcast from the same tower as 2 other stations and the other 2 are fine. For that matter, the video portion of the FOX channel is great. I don't see any degradation in the picture quality when the audio is cutting in and out.
Old 1-Feb-2011, 5:02 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

The predicted signal strength from your TVF report argues against using any amplification.

WCOO-FM 105.5 shows up in the same area, the 5th harmonic would land in the middle of UHF CH-23... not CH-24. If this were an interference problem, I would expect video to break up also. So.... Hmmm?

Still you could through an FM trap in the line just to see what happens. http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...on_filter.html

Audio is now sent in mono, stereo, Dolby Stereo, 5.1 and I'm probably missing a few other formats. If Fox is using one of the higher performance audio formats 5.1 for example, are any other broadcasters using that format and are you experiencing any trouble with their audio. (I'm wondering if your set may have a problem staying locked in when receiving the audio format used by WTAT) Try searching online using the model number of your set and the phrase 'audio break up' or 'audio drop out'

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 1-Feb-2011 at 5:05 PM.
Old 2-Feb-2011, 7:59 AM   #5
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

What is the make and model number of the Tv?? What is the direction the Tv antenna is pointed. Also read and watch the video about the double rescan at http://www.dtv.gov.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Feb-2011, 5:58 PM   #6
chs

The TV is a Vizio VW47L. I've got the antenna orientated as closely as I can to 53deg. The antenna throws off my compass, so I have to hold it a certain distance away! Thus the orientation is eyeballed to some extent.

I may try the double rescan this evening. However, it sounds like that is geared to fix tuners that are not finding channels properly.
Old 2-Feb-2011, 8:29 PM   #7
John Candle

It is my understanding that Vizio Tv's do not have signal strength or signal quality meters. Selling Tv's that have the chips that have this function but not having , is well.
Old 2-Feb-2011, 9:02 PM   #8
John Candle

The last part of adjust of Tv antenna is turning the Tv antenna for best reception , not setting it exactly on a certain compass setting. The Tv station might be having audio problems. . The Tv might have a defective audio decoder. Might be interference being generated at your location. Computers , electrical , electronic , devices , can be the sources of odd interference. Unplug them. Also unplug the electric fence charger that is used to electrify the fence to keep the animals in. Also can call the Tv station and chat with the Engineering Department. . Also grounding the coax connected to the antenna with a coax grounding block. The best place to ground is the electric service ground wire that is connected to the long rod that is in the ground. And Yes corosion and paint must be scraped scraped off for metal to metal contact. Home Depot has All of the grounding hardware , such as split bolts that go over a ground wire so the electric service ground wire is not cut. Home Depot has all manner of grounding hardware. Another choice for ground is a cold water pipe. NOT hot water pipe. The cold water pipe must be Real Metal and Real Metal all the way out in the ground to the water main. NO plastic water pipes. And Yes paint and corosion must be scraped off so as the have metal to metal contact.

Last edited by John Candle; 2-Feb-2011 at 9:07 PM.
Old 3-Feb-2011, 6:18 AM   #9
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs View Post
The TV is a Vizio VW47L. I've got the antenna orientated as closely as I can to 53deg. The antenna throws off my compass, so I have to hold it a certain distance away! Thus the orientation is eyeballed to some extent.
If you try using the Interactive Maps feature on TV Fool, you can turn on the option for "Show lines pointing to each transmitter" on the map page. This will overlay lines on the map showing you the path toward each transmitter.

Switch the map to "satellite view" and zoom in to get a detailed look at your house. With the lines turned on, you can get a better feel for how the antenna should be aimed relative to your house. This might not be any better than the "eyeball" estimates you've already done, but it's just another sanity check you can apply to make sure you're not completely off the mark.

If you ever have the antenna outdoors, the lines on the map are also useful for spotting landmarks or other visual cues that will help you find the right aim for the antenna.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Feb-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
No static at all

I suspect multipath interference. Have you tried mounting the antenna in different locations in the attic? Is there any way you can get access to a digital to analog converter box? A signal strength meter would be a big help to find the best mounting location & aim for the antenna.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2011, 5:50 PM   #11
chs

I have not been able to try all of the suggestions posted here - thank you for your ideas though!

I have tried moving the antenna around the attic and have been able to improve the reception quite a bit by doing so. The audio does still pop occasionally, but certainly not as often as previously. I don't own a signal strength meter. I may need to look into getting one in order to precisely position the antenna.
Old 7-Feb-2011, 5:59 PM   #12
GroundUrMast

I have not found anything online that would suggest a common problem with the audio on that Visio model.

That you can effect the symptom by adjusting the position and aim of the antenna, suggests strongly that you will want to try moving the antenna out into the clear. Attic mounting adds numerous uncertainties.