TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Jun-2015, 2:11 PM   #1
Billiam

Kitztech KT 500 Pre Amp

Just bought one with the hope that the billing of overload protection is actually true.

Currently using it in a spot with VHF Hi and UHF signals up to a Noise Margin of around 62 db. Unfortunately I am getting overload on many signals even when the gain is adjusted down to near zero. And when it is set at zero I lose a lot of stations. Did a comparison with the RCA Pre amp and no pre amp and both of these methods work far better in a strong signal environment.

Will likely be returning it for a refund. Have one more test to do at a home I own which is also in a strong signal area but has some weak stations in a adjacent market that I have trouble getting. Want to see if it will work better with those.

I suspect this is going to be a great pre amp in an area that has signals in Yellow or Red only on a TV Fool report. But in an area with Green rated signals, it won't work right from what I am seeing and you will either lose stations or see a signal break up on others.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jun-2015, 5:04 PM   #2
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

I have one soon to be another one. Local stationat 58.2mn and was the ticket for me. What I probably need to do is get a notch filter from TinLee. I want to see if my new setup is better once I get that on line.
Flint Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jun-2015, 12:00 AM   #3
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Ridge View Post
I have one soon to be another one. Local stationat 58.2mn and was the ticket for me. What I probably need to do is get a notch filter from TinLee. I want to see if my new setup is better once I get that on line.
You're lucky if you only have one strong station nearby. I have several at my apartment location and also at my house. Won't be possible to use that many filters. If I ever move out to a rural area again and it has moderate or weak signals, then I will likely purchase this pre amp again where it is likely to work best.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote